Sunday 22 May 2016

Cross Stitched Napkins

Lately I've been feeling a bit uninspired with all things crafty. I am between crochet projects and can't settle on what my next one will be; I started a blanket for Angus three times and then unraveled it and my sewing machine sits in the cupboard under the stairs, dusty and very possibly in need of a service. I need space - head space and physical space - to start any project on the sewing machine and I don't have either of those at the moment. It seems that all I want to do is cross stitch, and I don't really know why. Well, it is incredibly soothing. 


Work on the kitchen limps along, grumpily. We've had a few set backs which mean that nothing has happened for the last week or two and that's been incredibly frustrating, but hopefully they will be resolved this week and things will start to come together. We really are only waiting for two things to happen - the cooker to be fitted and connected, and the floor laid. 

This disruption makes me feel fed up and not at all creative or inclined to make anything lovely, but out of no-where I became obsessed with the idea of cross stitching some Orla Kiely-inspired napkins. I have always loved her very well known multi-stem pattern (and don't appear to have tired of it yet) and I thought it would be fun to stitch. I plotted out the pattern on some graph paper, chose some of my favourite colours, imagined using them in our new kitchen, and off I went.


I stitched the blue, pink and yellow ones first and was going to sew the last napkin in grey, but at the last minute changed my mind and the colours. I love it, it's my favourite. 

Now, cross stitching onto such closely-woven cotton would've sent me mad but I had heard of a product I wanted to try called Soluble Canvas. It's like aida but disappears when it's wet, leaving the perfectly spaced stitches on the fabric. It's amazing - you could cross stitch onto virtually any fabric with this stuff without giving yourself major eye strain. I chose a set of four white cotton napkins but I could get pretty excited about the thought of cross stitching onto sheets, pillowcases, jumpers or cardigans, just for starters. 

It's really easy. First, cut a piece of the soluble canvas to roughly the size you need and baste it in place on your chosen fabric with running stitches.


It looks and feels like plastic; a little stiff, but bendable enough to work with. Stitch as you would normally, following your pattern.


When you've finished your work, unpick the running stitches and snip the canvas as close to the cross stitch as you safely can. 


Then, following the instructions on the packet, immerse the fabric in a bowl of warm, soapy water for five minutes or so, swooshing it around once of twice.  When you pull it out, the canvas has completely vanished. It's weird. It's like it's melted. Rinse the fabric with warm water then leave it to dry.


Then, if you are so inclined, iron it, although take care to iron the embroidered stitches on the reverse or else you'll crush all that lovely texture. I do think they look better ironed

I deliberately positioned the stem slightly into the centre of the napkin, rather than in the corner, so that it looks as nice folded as it does laid out on your lap. 


And yes, they are to be used, or else what's the point? I deliberately chose a fabric that would launder well and could withstand a very hot wash if necessary, and I know from previous experience that brands of thread like DMC or Anchor are colourfast.


Now I just need a working cooker, a huge pot of spaghetti with ragu sauce and that napkin tucked into my collar ready to be splattered in sauce. And a glass or red wine.

35 comments:

  1. I'm sure you'll enjoy using those beautiful napkins in your new kitchen. Irune

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! I like using that water-soluble stuff. I used to use the other kind all the time, the one you pull each thread of the fabric out of the stitched design when you're done. I used it to stitch designs on t-shirts and sweatshirts when I was a teenager. I was probably the only 90's girl wearing cross-stitch embellishment, but hey, I had fun making them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to embroider flowers on my (ripped) jeans! X

      Delete
  3. Brilliant! Water soluble canvas! I admire your design, Gillian, and am glad you found the project soothing to work on while you wait for your kitchen to be usable. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely Gillian! I've done some embroidery here and there, but never proper cross stitch. This project, however, makes me want to figure it out and make my own set! Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gillian, they're wonderful, and the soluble stuff is genius. I'm inspired! I always like to use linen napkins because they're more environmentally friendly than disposable ones. A brilliant idea to personalise them. I shall mull this idea over happily this week. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you finding something that soothes your soul, who cares if it is crochet, sewing or cross stitch. The important thing is to find something that makes you feel centered while all of your renovations are going on. Love your project.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, young lady, give yourself a break. You've recently made a big move, started working again and having a kitchen renovation, plus all the decorating, that I think you'll regroup once all this turmoil is finished and your craft mojo will come back. The napkins look great and although I've seen and used other water soluble fabric, I've never seen the cross stitch one. Be great for my old eyes as I can't see the fine linen spaces anymore. Have a good week and "take care".

    ReplyDelete
  8. July is set to be the month that I get to grips with cross stitch, I will be on the lookout for some of that soluble canvas. My walls are covered in patchwork and crochet so something that I can use would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great product, I'd never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stitching will always be my first love. I adore your napkins - they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect! what a great idea to pretty up some plain napkins. I love the orla Keily designs too. The magic disappearing canvas is genius. I hope your kitchen is finished soon. We are about to start our kitchen renovation. I'm looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh, they are lovely. I'd like to try something similar but my (amateur effort) cross stitch is always messy on the back. Do you use a single long thread to keep it neat? Or other tricks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to keep the thread as long as possible to save having to re-thread it as much as anything, but if it's too long it gets tangled. I don't worry too much about the back of the work. Mine looks ok but not perfect!

      Delete
  13. It's just like magic; such a clever idea. Your napkins are gorgeous - I was trying to decide which one I liked best but couldn't; I want them all! Fingers crossed that your cooker and floor are sorted soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Magic!!! These are great, and I understand very well your need for something soothing with all the frustrating (and possibly a little chaotic) kitchen-situation at your home right now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How lovely that you took the time to make something functional so pretty! I am feeling very uninspired at the moment, fed up of all my current WIP's and without a desire to try anything new. I am waiting for this feeling to pass, as I know it will, and perhaps then I might take the time to make something pretty simply for the sake of it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful napkins. I have used dissolvable fabric for machine embroidery before but not heard of the canvas. Must look out for some. I hope your oven and flooring are sorted soon so you can put this frustrating patch behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are lovely. Such a simple yet effective pattern, isn't it? I may have to borrow your idea one day..... At the moment I haven't got much time for anything.... It's so busy and life seems to be going soooo fast!
    Enjoy the weekend, Pati x

    ReplyDelete
  18. They are lovely! I need new napkins, and this has given me some ideas. Do you mind telling me where you got your napkins?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, they were a pack of four from John Lewis. Here is the link:
      http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-fine-napkin-set-of-4-white/p1140903?colour=White

      Delete
  19. I have never heard of the soluble canvas: how clever - I just thought you had exceedingly fantastic eye-sight! Looks very pretty: hope it goes part way to soothing your kitchen-induced nerves x

    ReplyDelete
  20. The soluble stuff is so clever isn't it, and I like that it means all sorts of fabrics are suddenly more easily cross stitch-able. Gorgeous napkins! Do hope that you get to use them soon...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh don't spoil those beautiful napkins with a dousing of ragu, they will be stained forever and are just too pretty for that.
    Sorry, I'm getting carried away, I'm just thinking of my family eating spaghetti bolognese, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  22. truly gorgeous xxxx hope the kitchen is functional soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a great idea, I love the design! I've heard of the soluble asda but have never used it so it's great to hear how you found it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a great idea, I love the design! I've heard of the soluble asda but have never used it so it's great to hear how you found it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely, but you can't get tomato sauce on them!

    ReplyDelete
  26. They look fab and that soluble aid a stuff looks amazing! I was just about to ask how on earth you got them so beautifully even... That's something on the list to try then! Good luck with the kitchen, I hope you see some good progress this week, it's so frustrating when nothing's happening!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are bloody gorgeous! Great idea - they look fantastic! I might have to add this to the crafty-to-do list! x

    ReplyDelete
  28. They really are lovely i did wonder how you kept your stitches sooo neat! now I know. (perhaps these stitches are very much under your control as opposed to the renovations?)
    I would very much feel the same.....love to you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely! I did wonder how you had managed to cross-stitch so accurately on linen- the dissolving stitch guide explains it. Very clever,and very pretty. My family would have them splattered and ruined after one meal, we are a paper napkin family for that reason! (A matching tablecloth would be stunning.) X

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful!
    I know cross stitching is really soothing yet i don't make mucht time for it.
    I should! And try that soluble canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You'll be so thrilled when the kitchen is finally completed and you are back in control - I think it's that 'not in control' thing that makes us feel grumpy and 'disinclined'. I wonder what the first thing you cook will be (has been). Joan

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.