Thursday 12 May 2016

Seven


Well, the cooker didn't turn up on Tuesday. There was a mix up and a lonely extractor fan was delivered but no cooker, and so this is the first time ever that I have not baked one of my children a cake on their birthday. Never mind, my fabulous mum stepped in brilliantly and baked a frankly enormous chocolate gingerbread cake and - our house still in complete chaos - hosted a little family party after school today. Angus chose not to have a big birthday party this year, opting instead to have a day out with his best friend Jasper over half term (we're thinking HMS Warrior then Pizza Express) and so with no cake to bake and no party to host I am finding this birthday very different to previous ones, and quite a lot less stressful too. 

I do think that children's birthday lists (and Christmas lists for that matter) are a wonderful snap shot of what they liked and what they were like at a particular moment in time, and I wish I'd kept more of them over the years. I remember my niece's recent eighth birthday list; the front was the usual list of toys, dolls, books and various things, but the back said things like "get my ears pierced" "a puppy" and "a bigger bedroom". So funny. Angus's list this year contained books, "books about badgers", "fact books" and "small longbooks" which it turned out meant paperback fiction with chapters, rather than picture books. Other ideas included a globe, a really bright torch, an alarm clock, "a scooter like Bella's" and Star Wars Lego. Last weekend he informed me that he'd also quite like a microscope and some binoculars, thank you very much. Well, he didn't get everything he asked for but he did receive some wonderful, thoughtfully chosen presents which I know he loves and will read and play with and use for a long time. In a last minute panic that I hadn't made anything for his birthday, Angus received a little stitched embroidery hoop from me. I know a picture of a badger wearing a party hat wasn't technically on his birthday list but it made him laugh and it's hanging in his bedroom now, a little bit of handmade love for this bright, affectionate, serious, stubborn, book-loving, fact-collecting, badger-obsessed boy of mine.






27 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing a very personal beautiful time. The joy on your son's face says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. What a happy day Angus had. Precious moments. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seven is a lovely age – your boy looks such a poppet. Fantastic cake :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to Angus! It looks like such a happy day. I love the badger you made, how cute. I think saving their birthday wishlists is a wonderful idea. I love how you always make your children's birthdays very special and unique to them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to Angus. It doesn't seem like a year since I read another birthday post with a picture of a magnificent badger birthday cake? Have a good weekend, I hope the cooker is delivered soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to Angus. It doesn't seem like a year since I read another birthday post with a picture of a magnificent badger birthday cake? Have a good weekend, I hope the cooker is delivered soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday to Angus! Thanks for letting us have glimpses of your celebration, and allowing us to know what an interesting, dear fellow he is. I love the joy he radiates in the photos you took of him as he appreciates the badger you made for him, and the other lovely gifts he received including his grand cake ... in spite of the chaos still in your kitchen! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Angus and I think Mum has done a great job amid all the chaos. I love your niece's, I suppose, after thoughts. Have a great weekend and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a wonderfully happy birthday it looks x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that he's still a fan of badgers. My littlest boy can attest to the fact that 7 is a very good age indeed. He is working on his birthday list for when he's 8. It starts well - Premier League football, ninja costume, books, yo-yo like brother's, but then frankly it gets a little wild - beagle puppy, ipad, sword... So if you see a small ninja running down the road yelling and waving a scimitar and being dragged by an overexcited dog, look out for the frazzled woman about 100 yards behind. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday to your little one... sweet photographs. A lovely mummy make - my newly 9year old still gets something mummy-made on his birthday. Love 'small long books'! Have you read any of the Claude and Sir Bobblysock books? A good introduction to chapter books, and great fun. Oh, and the Bob the Man on the Moon chapter books are great too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Look at his happy wee face! Priceless. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday, Angus! Who could failed to be cheered by a badger in a party hat? Great birthday cake too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Gillian,
    Happy birthday Angus!! What a little star you are. Long may you love badgers (my sister in law found a baby badger last week. It was soooooo cute).
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. He looks really happy. And the cake looks fab

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm pleased to see Angus still has his love for the badgers.
    Belated happy birthday wishes to him.
    I'll be asking your mum to bake my birthday cake too, it looks amazing!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is so coincidental, Gillian! Way back in the 1950s I had a globe for my 8th birthday! I wanted one so much ... and, do you know, I still have it more 63 years later!!! Of course, the names of many of the countries have changed, but not the physical geography (well, not that much!)
    And Happy Birthday to Angus!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  19. Belated Happy Birthday wishes to Angus! The cake looks gigantic, and the gifts must have made him very happy. Do I detect a fox on the wrapping paper?
    Too bad about the cooker, but how good to have your parents close enough to step in.
    I very much like the "small longbooks".

    ReplyDelete
  20. It sounds an ideal birthday and lovely photos of his joyful face. The Warrior is always a great treat and this way he still has a day to look forward to: a win-win situation!
    (Hope the cooker pitches up soon, preferably before you lose your sanity...)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Seven is the perfect age, they still want ot be little but you don't have be watch them so much, The world is opening up to them and they aren't teenagers yet!
    Happy Birthday to you son,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  22. Angus sounds like just the type of kid I love to spend time with - eager for knowledge and fun to talk to. I'm glad he had such a brilliant day and I hope he and Jasper have a great day out.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy birthday to Angus! I love the badger in the party hat! Small longbooks is such a good description xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy birthday! Being seven is a wonderful thing - many of my best childhood memories are from being a seven-year-old :) x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats to Angus! It looks like a wonderful birthday celebration and the cake look soooo good! Wish I could pluck a piece of cake from the pictures... :)

    Take care
    Anne
    Crochet Between Worlds

    ReplyDelete
  26. It sounds like a wonderful birthday celebration, and your badger in a party hat is quite marvellous! The cake looks rather marvellous too! x

    ReplyDelete
  27. It looks like a great party nonetheless and will probably be remembered more for it's differences. The badger picture was truly an inspirational idea - well done for getting that done under the circumstances. Jo x

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.