Wednesday 1 July 2015

Heatwave




If I was a more organised blogger, there'd be a photo of a paddling pool up there too, but we can't find the foot pump anywhere, so it remains uninflated and sad looking on the lawn. But never mind, because: the weather! It's been - briefly - warm, even what I'd call proper summer.

Before going to work, I've been soaking up every moment I have in the garden. I spend a while picking some roses to bring indoors, I peg out the washing much slower than necessary, relishing the warmth of the sun on my back, and I eat breakfast outside and make iced coffee. I know it's really warm when I start wanted iced coffee and tea, when I want my caffeinated beverages to cool me down rather than warm me up.

There is a part of me that wakes up when it's this warm. I am much more relaxed and just generally a happier, less uptight, more spontaneous person. Last night after school we ate dinner in the garden. John, who'd left work early so he could attend the school Sports Day, sat outside with a beer and a book. I abandoned both the ironing and my diet and joined him. Later, I opened the bedroom door to the balcony and let the air waft in, watching the voile curtains gently inhale and exhale in the tiny breeze. 

There was a bit of thunder last night, and the forecast looks less settled now, but this morning, when I hung out the washing at about 7 am, the air was so beautifully warm. It felt amazing on my skin. I am hoping against all hope that we can go down to the beach tonight after school and get fish and chips, and even swim. If it rains I will take it personally, and blame those who moan about the heat on the one and only actually really hot day we've had so far this summer. Although, to be fair, there is a good breeze today. Being by the sea helps. I suspect those inland - especially in the London area - will be feeling hot today. Drink lots of water, and go indoors to watch the tennis. There, my tip for how to survive a mini, very British heatwave. You're welcome.

*

Speaking of tennis, are you a fan? Or are you, like me, someone who ignores it until Wimbledon rolls round and then watches it avidly? If it's your thing, then Carpetright are having a fun look at how different types of flooring could affect your indoor tennis performance (should it get too hot to play outside) to promote their new range of carpet, vinyl and laminate floorings. They're also hosting a fantastic competition to win a behind the scenes tour of Wimbledon. Follow this link to enter, and remember to share on social media, using the #AceYourHome hashtag.






30 comments:

  1. I've been making my iced coffee with coconut water and almond milk ... beyond refreshing in the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been rainy and cool here lately. They are calling for a hot stretch starting tomorrow, just in time for day 4 of summer holidays! I look forward to sipping iced coffee outside in the garden while the kids frolic in the sprinkler. Roll on, dear sweet summer! you are making us all happy on both sides of the ocean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's an air of laid back Holiday in your post. Well done to manage that while working! You make me what long reads on the terrasse and iced coffee! Ten days to go until my vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! May I come and sit outside with you? That iced coffee looks so good! Glad you are enjoying the warm weather. We get a bit too much of it over here ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh! May I come and sit outside with you? That iced coffee looks so good! Glad you are enjoying the warm weather. We get a bit too much of it over here ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The weather really is gorgeous at the moment. I am photosensitive so no sun for me but I love it when it is warm enough for me to sit in the shade without bundling up! Today is definitely a lazy day, nothing strenuous, just gentle creativity - no one wants a hot dinner anyway this weather and if I was to vacuum it would only make the house too hot to sleep tonight ;-) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you're enjoying the weather, Gillian. It sounds wonderful. We like to sit outside together on nice summer evenings too. I had iced coffee on Monday, let's clink our glasses in our minds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love summer time! The way that everything just slows down because of the heat. Dinner outside, how lovely! Enjoy all of the summer! It goes by so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy the warm weather, love your photos. It's finally cooled off here, lower 90's as opposed to upper 90's.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is lovely on days like this... I occasionally get the desire to go and live on a Greek island (despite their current woes) just so I can go barefoot and wake up each day feeling happy and alive.
    I too love pegging out. So much washing done this morning, it gives you such a sense of achievement to get it all dry on the line.
    Hope you get your fish and chips this evening, and a swim too. Sounds perfect.
    S x

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is a heatwave here in Germany too. I wish I had a pool or something to cool down!
    Your garden looks great :) Perfect for crochet I reckon!

    Take care
    Anne (Crochet Between Worlds)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah yes, the paddling pool. Ours seems to have disappeared. I really enjoy the warm weather and I never ever complain about the heat (unless it is really hot, like in the high 30s). I am keeping my fingers crossed for you so you can enjoy the beach tonight. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love a slow peg out in the morning too. So, so warm. I'm relishing it! It almost feels like being aboard. I would really love an iced coffee now. Enjoy your beach fun this evening. Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah. The paddling pool! Maybe not putting it up is a good thing because as soon as you do it almost guarantees rain. X

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope the foot pump makes itself known soon!
    Fingers crossed you were able to make it down to the beach today. Fish and chips sounds like an amazing mid week treat.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh it's been fabulous hasn't it. Ice cubes and ice cream and lolling around a lot here. Wonderful. How I love summer. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's been gorgeous here - a glass of wine at the cricket club was in order! :) I hope you got to the beach and enjoyed your fish and chips.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh, it has been HOT here today. I had a glorious couple of hours on the beach and a couple of dips in the sea. Heaven. I spied on your Instagram that you did get your lovely summer evening. Hooray! Sam x PS that rose in your first pic is glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, I'm an avid Wimbledon watcher - much to my family's dismay! I envy your being able to nip down to the beach for supper and, inspired by your post, I had my first iced coffee of the year too yesterday; it was just the thing. Here's to more sunny weather. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Last night we had our alfresco dinner out by the wading pools [we have the hard plastic kind, no pump]. Sitting in the shade the slight breeze helped us cool off a bit. I've been majoring in drinking iced tea. Hanging your laundry out sounds so lovely and something I used to do all the time... recently I hung out some towels. I am not keen on watching tennis, but Wimbledon does get a bit of my attention :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's been amazing to have the true feel of summer at last hasn't it? I'm with you, make the most of it and don't dare moan about it. It might be the only good bit we get! I'm a been of a Wimbledon only fan too, although this year I did catch bit of Queens and Even a couple of the Eastbourne matches, I don't ever remember seeing that on tv before...

    S x

    PS Do I count as 'a more organised blogger'? Our pool is up! Although I suspect it's more to do with the fact ours don't need a pump and the child has been asking for it to be up for about the last three weeks, even before it got remotely warm!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Iced mint tea and home-made elderflower cordial here and definitely no ironing. And to think we had a holiday cottage in Cornwall on hold for this week. We couldn't go because of work and other commitments. Oh well, another time. It's been a very good and productive week (I love the heat too) so I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Here in Belgium the same : heatwave... But you don't hear me complain (so if it rains, it's not my fault ;-)) !
    I love the greenish vase in the first photos ! I saw it on IG as well, it is so pretty !

    Ps : look for the footpump. You'll need it, the next days, if the weather over there is more or less the same as here...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely post Gillian. You seem so settled back down south and I envy your closeness to the water. I've been watching your temperatures go up and can't believe it is getting into the high 30's. That's more like our weather in summer. Enjoy while it lasts and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It sunny now and reading your post before work I'm going outside to eat my breakfast! I'm just like you don't watch any tennis then love Wimbledon. I've been like that since I was a child! I've been once the year McEnroe beat Borg in the final, I had to queue overnight and I was devastated. The weather was really hot then and people were fainting. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your flowers are so beautiful, I love the summer x

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's been such a beautiful week...although we've got rain & storms now! Summer is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  28. glad you've been enjoying the weather, and the iced coffee sounds like a great idea x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Eating outside in warm weather is such a pleasure, though I have to have a parasol over the table. I can't eat whilst squinting in the sun, it gives me a headache! X

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.