Thursday 9 July 2015

Creating Corners in the Garden


A couple of weeks ago I wrote about our garden and your comments were just wonderful, so helpful and inspiring, and I was thinking about what you said when I was toiling out there last weekend. (It has finally dawned on me that a bigger garden really does mean a lot more work, in the beginning at least.) But you gave me some fantastic ideas on how we could improve our space while continuing to garden on a tight budget, like planting some climbers against the back fence, taking cuttings from friends and family's gardens, sowing from seed, sourcing cheap pots on eBay, painting the shed and buying plants from car boot and roadside sales. That last one had never occurred to me so thanks for that great tip. 


A couple of your recommendations really stood out: Jo and Sam both suggested doubling the width of the border at the back of the garden to give depth and to let us vary the height and shape of the planting. This hadn't occurred to me, and it's such a good idea as we have a large lawn and can spare the space. So, last weekend we did just that, doubled the width of the border. My sister  - the one with that stunning garden - is making big changes to her own outside space and she offered us some unwanted plants. Big plants are expensive, and the opportunity to get my hands on some established, mature shrubs was too good to pass up. Our garden now boasts a small Ragged Robin tree, some sedum, a Rose of Sharon, a small rhododendron bush and monbretia. (My mum had to tell me the names of all those plants - I have enthusiasm, but not knowledge.)


They all need time to settle and grow, and there is still too much visible earth, but it's a start and I'm happy with it. This autumn I'll plant bulbs, and next year I'll add lupins and foxgloves for more height and colour.

Something Sarah said really made me stop and think. To paraphrase, it was along the lines of: think about how you create corners of interest in your home, and try to achieve the same effect in the garden. Of course! I love nothing more than faffing around indoors, so why not outdoors too? I'd never really thought of creating a garden in that way. A reading/gin and tonic corner with a bench is already in progress, and I'd like a cut flower or vegetable area at some point, and we already have an eating area. Our decking is gloriously sunny until about 3 pm, but there have been times recently when it's been a little too hot, especially over lunchtime. So when Homebase contacted me recently asking me if I'd like to review one of their parasols, I was very interested indeed. 


I've always fancied an overhanging parasol because you can angle the direction of the shade more easily than one which sits in the middle of the table. I chose this one and can report that it looks good, offers a huge area of shade and is very easy indeed to put up and take down. And yes, we still only have three chairs. I've been trying to find a similar one on eBay but I've given up and think I'll probably buy a couple of directors chairs - these ones have caught my eye. Do have a look at Homebase's Outdoor Living section, they've got some lovely things. 


I just love the shadows and shapes the furniture has made on the decking there. Here's hoping we have lots more sunny days this summer.



This post was written in collaboration with Homebase. 

19 comments:

  1. Oh bless you Gillian, that must have been such hard work but it looks loads better, it won't dry out so quickly and the large shrubs already make a difference. I would just put a load of rocket/mixed lettuce seeds in the gaps this year to cover the earth and have something to eat! I felt a bit bad making my suggestion in case you thought I was being a bit rude about the work you had already done but I am pleased it didn't offend and has made a great border. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a difference you have made already! The parasol looks great, I love the way it doesn't come out of the middle of the table, we always found that the shade from ours was never over the table! You have got a great start with the shrubs. Perhaps you drop big hints and compliments wherever you visit this summer and get a few cuttings that way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. your gin and tonic zone looks perfect x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Gillian – it's all looking fabulous. It really helps to see the garden as an outdoor extension to your home and you have such a good eye that it'll all come together beautifully, I'm sure. Exciting! Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good Gillian. You realise the shrub on the right is a Callistemon (bottlebrush) and is an Australian native which grows quite well in the south of England. I think the way you are approaching the garden is a great idea. Look forward to seeing more over the summer months. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice of the Homebase people to give you that parasol! It really fits your furniture and decking perfectly, and, more importantly, does a very good job at offering shade when and where you need it.
    The chairs do not all have to be matching ones; a mix of different shapes and styles will still look good.
    The broader border is indeed a great idea!
    We've had some VERY hot days here in Germany, beating a record or two for our area last Sunday, when the thermometer reached 30 Celsius already at 10 in the morning and my Mum had 41 C in the shade on her balcony in the afternoon.
    It has cooled down this week but is supposed to get into the 30s again tomorrow, when RJ and I will have to look smart for a friend's wedding - no problem for me, but he'll have to be in a suit with jacket and tie...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing the development of your garden. Having an area to sit outside is great but I was with you last week, sat inside in the cooler climate of the house. Thank goodness for Wimbledon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's looking lovely Gillian, a perfect place to relax and unwind, you're making a beautiful job of it. And how lucky to be given the well-established plants from your sister, that's a really great gift, big plants make an instant difference. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Gillian, this is just the inspiration I needed. I often get overwhelmed with our garden. I know how I want it to look but lack of time and money (and of course plants dying unlike home interiors!) dampens my spirits sometimes. Anyway I'm getting back on it this weekend when the husband can look after the little ones! xx ps. Do you ever do that thing where you make a suggestion to your other half about what you are planning on doing in the hope they will get on and do it in half the time it would take you?! 😂

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, I love your blog and have a suggestion for reduced price plants. Often the big diy sheds reduce the price of perennial plants after they have flowered. I've bought loads of plants this way and as long as you don't mind waiting until next year for them to bloom, you can gat a real bargain. Best wishes for your gardening exploits! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Incredible how stunning your garden already looks !! After such a small period of time ! Give it a year, and your garden will be serious competition for your sister's garden :-) !

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know how people often recall an old grump in their neighborhood who yelled at kids to get off his lawn, etc.? Well, I have finally realized that it takes a very long time to get your yard/garden just right, to finally figure out all the plants and where to put them for the best growing conditions. It takes time for them to fill out, and time to care for them. By the time you get it all accomplished you will probably be kind of elderly. So, then comes some kids crashing it all up looking for their ball or frisbee or puppy or whatever, and well, you've become the grump! Old people always have the best yards--and I really do believe this is why.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree - little areas of interest is a great idea. And it'll make things seem that bit more manageable. I'll be watching your progress with interest as we'll be starting work on our new garden soon. It's much smaller but we'll just have to get very creative!
    I hope the weather stays lovely so you can enjoy that G&T area. Don't forget Pimms too ;)
    S x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like all the hard work is paying off some great ideas too.
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's coming together. Very good timing on behalf of your sister, your garden will be flourishing much sooner now!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a good idea to think about breaking it down into different zones. Our garden has really benefitted from my extra days at home this summer. Great gifts of plants form your sister. Wonder what will pop up in your garden as the seasons change? xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. A garden is very hard work, but when you start to get results it is a wonderful feeling! X

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks very nice! I spend most my weekends working on my garden, I love it, and all the hard work :) Great idea though I will use this for sure. I found some of these too ladies if you are interested some home and garden freebies.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This design is steller! You most certainly know how
    to keep a reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Fantastic job.
    I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
    Too cool!

    my web blog ... superb hair-styling methods

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.