Tuesday 3 March 2015

Daytripping: RHS Wisley Gardens


Last Saturday we had a break from decorating and met my friend Abigail and her family at Wisley Gardens. Typically, it was gloriously sunny the day before and the day after our visit but, in true British fashion, we didn't let the leaden skies and endless drizzle dampen our spirits.



Ooh, I do love a nice walled garden. It all reminded me a bit of Wolf Hall (and wasn't it completely brilliant by the way?) although knowing nothing about the history of architecture, it's quite possible this lot was built hundreds of years after the reign of Henry VIII.


Despite going at the end of winter there was colour all over the gardens, both natural and sculptural, as we walked to the glasshouse.


It doesn't look very inviting, does it? Look at that grey sky. By now I was quite cold and damp and very glad to get inside. 


Inside it was as warm and lush as I hoped it would be. 


My camera completely steamed up straight away. (I took the above photo after I'd wiped the lens with my sleeve.)



I spotted this arrangement of plants while we were queueing to get in to see the butterflies. Very nice. I'm not interested in gardening or garden plants right now (too much else to think about) but house plants I am obsessed with. I've decided the new house will be full of them.


The butterflies themselves were as delightful and fluttery as I hoped they would be. The kids loved watching them, especially when one landed on my yellow satchel. 



 I like the way the butterfly and flower compliment each other so beautifully here. 


By now it was time for lunch and so we trekked back to the restaurant where it seemed all of Surrey was also trying to get some lunch. Quite nice food (although a bit overpriced I thought), loads of pushchairs, not enough seating, lots of friendly staff hovering around ineffectually while desperate families with screaming toddlers tried to find a spot to sit - just your typical middle class day out, really. Next time I'm going in the summer and taking a picnic. 

We spent a couple more hours exploring and wandering around. I love watching my two play with Abigail's girls. Bella and her eldest always pair up straight away; it's not a very good photo but I love this one of them sitting either side of the steps, calling over to each other.


Angus is sometimes a little left out but now this toddler is getting bigger all the time he has a playmate. That purple bag was full of "treasures" (stones, mainly, and a crocus head I suspect Bella of snapping off a flower even though she swore she didn't) and he insisted on carrying it around.


Lots more lovely crocuses, untouched by the hands of curious children.


It was really nice day out, despite the cold and damp and crowded restaurant, and somewhere I'd love to return to when the weather is nicer and there are lots more flowers to see.


22 comments:

  1. Sounds as though it was a good day out - apart from the busy restaurant - and I don't suppose they will miss a crocus flower - imagine, it could have been a butterfly that could have followed you home! Sounds as though you are enjoying your new surroundings with the children! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a great place to visit, especially with little ones; lots of room to move around. I really like your butterfly photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems everyone was in good spirits regardless of the weather. I am glad you were able to leave your paintbrush behind and head out for some fresh air and friends! Wolf Hall was wonderful - and I can see why you think that the old house might be of the same era. Who knows? All I know is that it is old and looks really pretty! :)
    www.queenbcreativeme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed your day at Wisley despite the weather. I would love to see those butterflies and the crocuses are a stunningly sight. Wisley is not a huge distance from us so somewhere I would like to visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been to Wisley for years but your photos make me want to return. We all enjoyed Wolf Hall too! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures, steamed up camera or not! The restaurant scene sounded like my kind of nightmare, though :-D It will be interesting to see pictures of the same place in summer. The change of season is something I love to observe, it never bores me to look at the same place, because it never really does look (and feel) the same, does it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you had a great day - despite of the sad weather !
    And a steamed camera can give quite funny pics ;-)...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely day, I do miss the family days out! I think I enjoyed them more than the boys unless animals were involved. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! Crocuses! Just had such a pang of homesickness!
    My mum-in-law lives just down the road from Wisley but I only visited for the first time last summer. It was still really busy, but the borders were out of this world. My mum and grandad came and were just blown away. Really hoping to go again when we're home this summer, but as you say, a picnic is the way to go! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to go there. Your photos are great despite the weather. We went to a butterfly farm and someone said if we wore white or yellow they would land on us. The girls wore top to toe lemon and white and were thrilled to be covered in butterflies! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like the perfect day out with the kids. When the kids are happy and enjoying themselves, it always makes for a good day. Happy kids makes for happy mammys!
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like a lovely place to visit.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great to get out for the day and leave the painting behind! I remember going to Wisley with my grandparents when I was little. Fabulous gardens. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. We used to go to Wisley quite often but haven't seemed to get there recently. I don't think it matters what season you go in it's always so busy. You're right, it does seem that most of Surrey has their lunch there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a great day out. I have always been meaning to go. Do you get to go in the house? I love going round houses? Your photos are great, especially the one you flag up, the shape of the butterfly complementing the flower.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Wisley - and as you say colour even in Winter. It's gorgeous in Summer too. Great butterfly photos. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great pictures!!! Thanks for taking us along :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a gorgeous shape those glass houses are, like glass clouds :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. ps I just looked up Wisley and was surprised to find those glass houses are new!
    Also they seem to use the house as a laboratory? If it's Wisley Manor, though, there's been a house there at least since the 13th century, so long before Wolf Hall's action ;) I do wonder what it's like inside...!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks lovely, despite the cold grey day. Must make the effort to go there!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  21. how nice! I love how you can escape from everyday life with a simple daytrip! I will be daytripping to the spa tomorrow. Just me, hot water and a lovely new book. That is true happiness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, what a lovely place to visit! It looks like you had a great time. I love the photos of the butterflies!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.