Friday 16 January 2015

Embracing January

Oh, wow, you lovely lot - thank you for your generous words about my blanket. When I saw it through your eyes I loved it a little bit more. I think we just need a break, blanket and I, and will be fine once we've spent some time apart. 

I am still remembering to notice and photograph one good thing a day about January and so far am finding there is much to celebrate. My photographs seem to involve either being outside buffeted by the wind or inside hiding from it. Well, that's January for you.

8/31: Empty, blustery beaches and the beautiful feeling of openness and space. Blue skies have been seldom in this wet and windy month and they are always a cause for a mini, silent celebration in my book.



9/31: A cup of tea and a new book. I'm one chapter in. So far so good. Do you like my new mug? It was a Christmas present from John. 


10/31: The beach, again, but on a more overcast day. Big winds and spray coming off the waves, the upside to the end of a January gale. It's so invigorating to be by the water in (mildly - I don't want to get swept away!) stormy weather. This beach is usually quite calm and so it was exciting to see some surf. There was even one lone surfer in the water! I hope none of you have been badly affected by the crazy wind, rain and snow we've had this week.


11/31: A roast chicken dinner on Sunday after a long walk in the woods, cooked by John, followed by sticky toffee pudding, also cooked by John. We are paying rent in cooking. 


12/31: The feeling of brand new pyjamas at the end of (another) cold, wet and windy day.


13/31: Hunkering down by my parent's wood burning stove and just enjoying the cosiness of it all. 


14/31: A run on Wednesday morning. It was bitingly cold but really bright and sunny and I went for my first run in months with my sister. I was surprised by how good it felt. Cold, dry weather is my favourite kind to run in, and this was exhilarating. I'd forgotten how good I feel after a run, how clear my head is. I went again this morning. Everything hurts now, that goes without saying, but in a satisfying way.


Enjoy your weekend everyone. I don't know what we have planned. Everything depends on the weather. It's very unusual to get snow this far south, and so close to the coast, but there might be sleet on Sunday apparently. I've nearly finished a scarf but I am faffing about whether it's long enough or not, and whether to add a fringe or not. It's a nice kind of dilemma to have. 

31 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos as ever, Gillian, and I love your parents' wood burning stove, how cosy that looks. Very smart home, too, and much your own style I think (and very neat bookshelves, or rather neat books on the shelves.)
    Glad you are enjoying living by the sea. I've lived by the sea since 1951 (and indeed I was born by the sea but not in Devon) and I still think how lucky I am, I've never become complacent about living in such a wonderful area as south Devon.
    Love the mug. I'm not usually keen on mugs but this is the exception! We were given two lovely porcelain mugs for Christmas with pink roses on them (I think they are repro Redoute paintings) and we liked them so much we've bought two more (they were from Waitrose) and they will replace our old, cheap mugs which had seen better days. Not chipped but just faded (thank you, dishwasher!)
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound very happy and settled in your new environment. It must be such a good feeling. Your new mug is lovely, he has such great taste. I really love the photos you've shared of your parents' home; it looks like a comfortable and stylish place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so pleased you came up with this idea Gillian, I've been really enjoying it. I'm going to carry on through February too, it's only a short month but it can be a hard one, although the evenings do start to get lighter! Bet you're loving the sea! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Gillian,
    I always envy a good woodburner! Perhaps you will have one in your new home? And clearly clean lines run in your family - your parent's home looks lovely. Here's hoping for snow for the kids, and more sticky toffee pudding for the grown ups. May I borrow John sometime? For cooking purposes obvs ;))
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice kind of dilemma indeed! I am glad you are enjoying January so far. Have a wonderful weekend Gillian. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That room does look cosy - a great contrast to those windswept photos of the beach and sea.
    Have a wonderful, warm weekend.
    S x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful positive things. Your parents home is lovely isn't it - I can see that you and your Mum have similar very good taste! How great that your rent is paid in cooking, fun for you no doubt and great for your parents. Love your new mug and looking forward to hearing what you think of your new book - I am intrigued already just by the title! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your parents' room looks so cosy. Loving the beach photos and what a great way to pay the rent! Have a fantastic weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a good way to pay for your hospitality but in reality I bet they just love having you there! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. That fire and hearth looks so beautiful and cozy! I adore the coast this time of year, blow all those cobwebs away and then return to eat your body weight in roast potatoes, bliss!!! ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I do like your new mug. In fact, I love it! :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. John , can pay his way in food anytime at my place ,sticky toffee pudding, yummy. I ve just read your blanket post, it is stunning. My advice is to put it away somewhere hidden and forget about it .I promise when you open that box and see what's within you will love and appreciate all the hard, very hard work.
    Have a lovely weekend

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely Gillian and I feel you are really enjoying be back down south. Wow, I wish my hubby could cook. Have a lovely weekend whatever the weather and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your mug and what looks like good, strong builder's tea...perfect roast and best pud. Great photos xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I find that with things I've made too. And then sometimes after they've been in the cupboard for a while I'm surprised I've made them. Life with you sounds good. Your parents' living room is gorgeously cosy. I hope you have a lovely weekend, whatever it brings. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds like a wonderful week. Have a nice weekend hopefully the wind will die down and you can have fun outside.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just catching up on my favourite blogs, I have been very lacking on my blog reading recently, sorry!....have a lovely weekend....off to see the blanket!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your new mug! And your parent's home looks so warm and cozy. I know you are enjoying your time there. Happy weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those blue skies and wide open spaces are wonderful! Haven't had any of that in a while myself. As for running - incidentally, I went for my first run since before Christmas this week with my friend. It wasn't that cold, and the air was humid, and it felt SO GOOD. Once you're used to running regularly, you really miss it when you can't do it fir a while.
    Your new mug is very pretty, and so are your new PJs!
    And it is obvious from the picture of your parents' room where you got your taste from :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You sound very happy & settled. I'm very envious of your roast dinner especially the Yorkshire puddings, I think I will have to buy a chicken for tomorrow now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely sounding heathly, calm week. I love your parents room, it must be lovely for them to have you around. Hope the house hunting is working out. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh how I love a winter beach! Gorgeous photos. You sound really happy! Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely photographs. Your parents room looks so cosy. X

    ReplyDelete
  24. Greetings from North Finland! I'm happy that I found your blog. You have so beautiful photos.
    We have a lot of snow here and ot's really beautifull here just now. Welcome to visit my blog too. I write about our life, of our home and so on:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. You sound like you've had a really good week. I really like your mug and your beach photos. This time of year when beaches are quiet, I think they're at the best, stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the photo of your mug, and the photo of your running shoes just makes me pine for a run., I haven't been out all week because of the icy conditions here and going a little stir-crazy....... x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Even though you are a bit in between lives right now, without a home of your own, it looks like you are enjoying all of the good things that you currently have. Beaches, family, good food, and a fire to snuggle by!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have just got into blogging and having discovered your blog I absolutely love your photographs - especially the ones of the wild seas - beautiful. Good luck with the house hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love, love, love your new pajamas!!!! They are so pretty and look very comfy. Lovely mug too!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Am drooling and sighing at the sight of that beautiful mug, Cath Kidston PJ's and the Yorkshire pudding xo

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.