Saturday 15 December 2012

Some Thoughts And A Box of Play Patisserie


I don't think I can really say anything today without talking about two sad things - one private, one public. We had some very sad family news a couple of days ago, which I'll talk more about later. And I am shocked and appalled (like everyone, I imagine) by the tragic events in America yesterday. The youngest victim was five years old. Five. Schools should be a place a safety, and thank goodness they usually are. I send my two off to school and nursery every day without a second thought. My heart breaks for those parents, and the families of the adults involved too.

*************************************


But I wanted to post something today and I really need to find my "happy", and that is usually to be found in things involving the children. So I will share some felt play food I made a couple of weeks ago. 



I made two little boxes of assorted play cakes for craft fairs - neither sold which I was very happy about as one will be given to Bella on her birthday next week, and the other to another little girl we know who turns six today. 



I especially like the little gingerbread star. This would be a sweet tree decoration. Next year, maybe. Sorry there is no tutorial - I forgot to take photos during the making.



I never told you how the craft fairs went, did I? The first was a total disaster, the second and third were respectable and the fourth was very successful. I am quite realistic about these fairs now - you rarely make much money and you have to enjoy the making and selling process. All the little things like jam, lavender and mulled wine sachets, brooches, small bags and tea towels went. I sold all the girl's t-shirts bar one and a couple a boy's t-shirts. Anything that didn't sell is being "re-purposed" as Christmas gifts. I did the stalls with my friend Gemma and it was very nice to stand chatting and laughing with her, especially during the disastrous first fair. Gemma is a fellow crafty soul and a very talented artist, and she made the beautiful wooden boxes in the photo below, among other things.

Tune out the breeze block background, the horrible flourescent lighting and the general sports hall ambience, and focus instead on our lovely handmade wares...


I wish you all a happy and peaceful weekend. Today I have to take the kids to two birthday parties, make a birthday cake for Bella, wrap the pass-the-parcel and stuff fourteen party bags in preparation for her birthday party tomorrow. I'd better get cracking then! 


24 comments:

  1. Your stall looks lovely. Hope Bella has a lovely party, bet you make it beautiful xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right about craft fairs, it more about wanting to make and meet others, if you can cover your costs then great!
    Now this food is just delicious! I think I would eat it all, might have indigestion after but wow, it looks soooo good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry you have had sad family news and yes, this news from America is just heart-breaking. Life is often this extreme mixture of the heart-rending and what is still happy and good and it's hard treading a path that keeps both in balance. I think your play patisserie looks delightful and I tell you if you had been selling that when H was two or three I would have got no peace until I bought a batch! And he would have been happy as a sand-boy for hours on end with it. He loved play-cooking to bits! I hope Bella has a fabulous birthday party - am sure she will if you are putting it together with your magical touch! Send you a hug, Gillian. E xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a festival....the eye candy, the smells and being able to chat with people with like interests.

    May you find peace during this holiday season

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love the patisserie! You are so clever!

    Yes, the news from America is shocking. Those kids are so little - it really is heartbreaking.

    Hope all is ok with your family. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear you've had sad news :( and the news of those children and teachers is heartbreaking. It made me think twice about sending my kids to school and why people are so cruel. I'm glad your photos are so cheerful. You are so clever! Fancy doing a stall in la france? Really hoping all is well with you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely! My little girls love to play with their tea set and oven, they's absolutely love these :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful play patisserie - I think that doughnut is amazing!
    Sorry to hear about your sad family news. And the news from America is horrendous. My thoughts are with you all. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for your bad news, beautiful crafting - such a sad day...
    Wishing Bella a wonderful party tomorrow.
    Ivan x :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no, I'm so sorry you've had bad news. I am thinking of you.

    What a darling box of sweets. I wish my girls had such beautiful pretend food to play with when they were little.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry to hear that you've had some bad news, and the news from America is tragic, heartbreaking. The play food is really lovely, I'm surprised it didn't sell. Hope Bella has a wonderful party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes we just need to loose ourselves in the frivolous and fluffy when the real world throws bad stuff our way - and your play foods are perfect for that. Beautiful.

    Hugs for your news x

    ReplyDelete
  13. it was such shocking news. I am sorry there has been more sad news for you....Your stall looked great, sounds like you did quite well in all. Love the iced donut! Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Being from America I can say that things like this happen all over the place, not just in the US. I can say that I have not been TOTALLY happy with our school here. All I can is always listen to your mother instinct. If things has not turned out the way they did not my daughter would not still be going to the school she is at. Unfortunatly it can happen anywhere in todays world, it is sad. I am sorry you have had bad news as well in your own world and I hope for peace for you.
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry to hear you've had some sad news and the current events in American have been both shocking and appalling.

    Take care and huge bear hugs

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, such sad news for the people in Connecticut! My heart goes out to them and prayers for comfort and peace as well. The little play cakes are so adorable! And what a busy day you have planned with two parties to attend. Happy "early" birthday to Bella. I cannot wait to hear about her birthday party. I know it will be lots of fun! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope you are ok lovely. Makes us all hold our little ones a little bit tighter. Sending you love xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry to hear you've had sad news x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Gillian ... so sorry to hear you have sad news ... I hope you are all well ... so sad about the happenings in America ... the world can be a very cruel place ... sending you love and hugs ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope that Bella's had a good day today. Just to let you know, I've left a reply to your question on my blog, I hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry about your sad news. I love your makes and you should open an Etsy shop

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Gillian, I am sorry you have had bad news. Sending a virtual hug your way (along with plenty of admiration and praise for your never-ending crafty talents). xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.