Sunday 29 July 2012

Weekend Breakfasts - Breakfast Burrito



I've resurrected my weekend breakfast posts, partly to continue the holiday feeling (after all, John doesn't go back to work until tomorrow) and partly because I'm fed up with toast and jam. Again. I intended to publish this post this morning but the pesky internet connection has not been cooperative so I am doing it now. A bit late for breakfast I know, but technically it's still the weekend.

This breakfast was John's idea, and without wanting to stereotype too much, I think this is quite a "male" breakfast. Meat? Check. Eggs? Checks. Potatoes and tortilla? Check. Total absence of fresh vegetables? Check. According to my research, it is New Mexico dish, intended to be portable so that hungry ranchers, truckers, ski bums and snowboarders could grab one and eat it, wrapped in foil, on the go. And it is apparently the chillies that set it apart and make it a true breakfast burrito rather than just a lot of bacon and eggs wrapped in some bread.


You need (for two people):


4 rashers of bacon
4 eggs
1 small potato
1 small chilli
2 flour tortillas
oil/butter for frying
ketchup or avocado optional


  • Grate the potato, making sure you've squeezed all the water out of it.
  • Chop and fry the bacon until it's crispy then set to one side.
  • In the bacon pan, spread the grated potato into an even layer and fry for five minutes of so until it's brown. You may need to add a little more oil. Flip it (mine broke) and cook the other side for another five minutes.
  • Beat the eggs, adding your chopped chilli, and scramble them in another pan.
  • Put the cooked potato on a plate and heat the tortillas in the bacon/potato pan, turning them a few times.
  • Make a little assembly line of all your ingredients.
  • Put the tortilla on a plate and load up with half the cooked bacon, potato and egg. Tuck each end into the middle and roll so you have a little parcel.
I ate mine with avocado on the side as I thought the whole concoction needed something resembling a fresh vegetable. John ate his with ketchup.

The verdict? It is filling. Boy is it filling. Definitely a brunch not a breakfast. I was still stuffed about six hours after eating it. I skipped lunch. I don't think it's for me, this one. This may be the perfect teenage breakfast, full of delicious, salty protein and carbohydrates but it was too much for me, weakling that I am.


It's just occurred to me that this would make an excellent breakfast if you have a hangover. I always want huge portions of salty, greasy, starchy food when I am feeling worse for wear (which is never, Mum) with a bottomless cup of tea. 


********************************************


One last holiday photo...Bella's hair when I tied it up for her bath last night. Look at those sun-kissed blonde streaks in her light brown hair. I wish my hair looked like that. I used to pay a fortune for those kind of natural-looking highlights.




I hope you've all had a lovely weekend. We are settling into life at home, cooking, doing chores, inspecting the garden in between rain showers, and the children are happy to be back amongst their toys. Have a great week and thanks for reading. x

18 comments:

  1. Looks like a yummy breakfast! My husband would love it! I love Bella's pretty hair. I am always envious of my daughter's pretty highlights. Oh to be young again! So glad you enjoyed your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yummy but too much for me! I am sticking to pancakes and maple syrup, it's become one of my favourites. But not with bacon, I can't get my head around eating bacon with maple syrup!!

      Delete
  2. Too many calories, but it looks so yummy ... What is the tomato in the center of the second picture? Greatings from Spain. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a chopped red chilli, which we stirred into the scrambled eggs - really good! But tomatoes would go really well with this too.

      Delete
  3. Yum yum. It looks and sounds delicious, but it also looks quite a lot of work, maybe I could get hubby to make it one morning, would be nice! I think we'd omit the chillis though, too early in the day but would be nice for lunch, as you say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is a lot of work. Another reason why I wont be making it again. Too much faffing and juggling of pans for first thing in the morning! You could have a full English made and eaten in half the time. x

      Delete
  4. I think my hubby would love a breakfast like, maybe you're right on the male side of things - the kids and I are more pancakes and waffles.

    Love those sun kissed curls - my little ones hair has gone exactly the same...where as my grey just seems to get duller - I'm tying to grow it out, but I'm getting close to caving and splashing some colour on....again.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pancakes here too, with syrup and berries, yum. I am spotting more and more grey much to my dismay. Not dyeing it yet...(yet). I love the idea of being fabulously, flamboyantly grey in twenty years time but it's the slowly going grey that's annoying. x

      Delete
  5. Yum yum yum! Looks super delicious! Did I ever tell you I got my mum-in-law to send me Rachel Khoo's book after being inspired by your posts from it? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, do you like it? I have used it loads, some great summer picnic/salad ideas in there. Also, her tv series was really enjoyable if you saw it. It was by the BBC - not sure if it was broadcast in SA, but worth a watch - made me want to have a little holiday in Paris! x

      Delete
    2. I love it! I've only made 2 things so far but they were so easy and yummy. I haven't seen the series yet but my mum-in-law was telling me about it. May have a look online and see if I can see a snippet or two. x

      Delete
  6. Not for me but I have some men here - the 21 year old is still growing, eek - who would love it. Wonder if they could be persuaded to cook their own while I concoct the breakfast of chili scrambled eggs and avocado which you've just inspired me to try :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now I MUCH prefer your suggested breakfast of chilli eggs and avocado...that's more like it. Maybe with some tomatoes too. Healthy and filling without lots of carbs. One for next weekend maybe... x

      Delete
  7. Jooles, if I'm honest it was much to much effort and food for first thing in the morning. There is a reason why I get stuck in my toast and jam rut and that is because toast is easy and yummy! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. after glancing at this post this morning i had to hop up from the computer and go make myself a breakfast burrito. they are one of my all-time favorite breakfasts. mine was a hodgepodge of things we had lying around the fridge: refried beans, mexican rice, sliced olives, salsa, cheese, sour cream, cherry tomatoes, and a scrambled egg. it was so good! if i had bacon or avocado on hand i would have thrown that in too. i could blame it all on being pregnant, but honestly i would happily eat that for breakfast any day of the week, pregnant or not...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum Cassie, yours sounds so much nicer than mine! I think it was the combination of potato and bread that overdid it for me. Next time I will have to try your way - more veggies and more flavours.

      Delete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.