Monday 9 July 2012

Day-tripping

Last week it rained, and rained. And rained a bit more for good measure. We are all so weary of the rain, of thinking about it, talking about it, getting wet. So, when Saturday was dry and sunny (ish) we had to make the most of it. My parents were staying with us and it was John's weekend off, so a day trip was in order.

We took the train to York and visited the National Railway Museum. I can't say any of us are train mad, but what a wonderful time we had. Old trains were admired (especially the royal one with the bath) new ones climbed on, lots of running around and quite a few heart-stopping "Where's Angus????" moments. I think there is a scientific ratio which says that the more adults there are, the greater the chance of misplacing a toddler, because everyone thinks that the other person has their eye on said toddler.



Bella and Angus loved the museum park. (dry playground equipment! A slide that isn't running with water!)


I really enjoyed the display of vintage railway art in the gallery. These posters capture a bygone age when train travel was exciting and full of adventure, and British seaside resorts were a destination to get excited about.


Bella enjoyed the interactive art.


Angus likes to really take in a piece of art. He is very advanced. See how he has perfected his art gallery pose?


Walking from the museum into York I noticed the Big Wheel. No time on Saturday, but I'd love a trip up there sometime for the views of the Minster and the river.



The river Ouse has burst it's banks again. This is quite a regular occurrence in York and the locals are used to it, but still, I felt very sorry for the businesses along the edge of the river. 


We had lunch in Pizza Express. The floor to ceiling windows open onto a balcony that overlooks the river and it was heaven to sit in the sunshine and look out at York. 


We wandered around for a couple of hours, pottering and shopping, trying to manoeuvre the pushchair over York's narrow pavements and bumpy streets. 


A lovely day out. We are so starved of blue skies that the smallest amount of sun put us all in an excellent mood. The high point of the day for the children? The train journey there and back.


26 comments:

  1. a great time, and yay to day-trips LOL

    i love york, although my first time there i almost lost my toes to the cold (this was back 15 yrs ago when it used to snow).

    loving the art pose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay to day trips indeed! I really hope the weather is nice for the six week school holidays, I want to take the kids on more train journeys, it was so much fun.

      Delete
  2. Thank goodness for a dry day! Looks like a fun day trip. One day I will get to visit York, it has been on my list for far too long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful city, full of history and culture. But also full of tourists and a nightmare to drive around or park in, so it has it's downsides too!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely day out. I know what you mean about the brief spells of sunshine. If it shines for just half an hour it feels amazing and we all remember how hot it could actually be if the clouds cleared.
    My girls love train journeys too. We took one recently into St Ives while in Cornwall and they were disappointed when we had to get off.
    Glad you had a nice weekend with M&D xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, just the tiniest amount of sun and we felt so much better. And you know how grumpy Mum gets when it rains... ;-)

      Delete
    2. I have fond memories of train trips to Cornwall to see my recently passed gran. All the way to the docks station at Falmouth. Never took it to st.ives though.

      Delete
  4. I'm pleased you got a nice day for your trip. I love York - it's been ages since I've been. The vintage posters are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We bought a couple of prints to hang in the living room. I am hoping they go with the mid-century vibe, rather than making our room look like the home of a 1940's obsessed train spotter!

      Delete
  5. I love York, one of my favourite places as there's something there for everyone. We had many a trip to the Railway Museum when my kids were little, always a hit. If Bella and Angus like train rides you should take them to Embsay Steam Railway at Christmas, they have special Santa trains, my two used to love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip - a few friends had recommended the Santa train at Bolton Abbey but we've never been. We went on the Middleton Railway last summer, and they loved it, but I suspect Embsay is a lot more picturesque!

      Delete
  6. Love the train and the posters. Haven't been to York for about 8 years and really feel I would like to go. I think I read that the castle museum has an exhibition of quilts at the moment - and I would love a return trip to the museum. So much to do! Perhaps over the summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just as well I didn't know about the quilt exhibition, or I would've dragged the whole family to it. I think I used up their patience when I spent 40 mins in Cath Kidston.

      Delete
  7. Oh blimey - what devastating images of the river and all those shops/homes.

    The museum sounds like a perfect idea when the weather is being so pants.

    Nina xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It happens so frequently I think they are almost used to it. It's shops and businesses on that stretch of the river mainly, I can't imagine how awful it must be to have your home flooded. The pub on the near left floods so often that they stay open and have lines drawn on the wall to show how high the water has gone in previous years!

      Delete
  8. Looks like a great day, I have never been to York but would love to go. We keep meaning to go somewhere on a train with the kids, I think Archie would love it. It would have to be a short journey though, I'm not sure he'd sit still for very long! I love the art gallery pose. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the longest train journey we've done with them (only 25 mins) and they sat entranced throughout. Having said that, a year ago it would have been a total nightmare!

      Delete
  9. what a lovely quaint looking place. a good day out by the sounds of it. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quaint, yes, very English. I used to work in York so take all that history for granted, how bad of me!

      Delete
  10. What a fun day with family! So glad it was a bit sunny for you. And I love the photo of Angus's pose at the art gallery. He is really "taking it all in!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's completely impossible to take a photo of him standing still, he's always on the move. So that one was lucky, although it is a bit blurred as he was about to run off somewhere else!

      Delete
  11. York was the first holiday scott and I went on. It looks so lovely but I don't remember the river so big and overflowing. Looks like you all had a good time xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely place to go for a romantic holiday! I would like to go there with John sans kids as there are so many shops and pubs to explore in a leisurely fashion.

      Delete
  12. Never been to York- one day! However I can sympathise on the rain front. It's never ending here. Old people always bang on about the weather- but the way the rain has been this year I am inclined to join them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it's not just here! It really gets you down after a while. Maybe August will be nice... *sighs*

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.