Friday 17 March 2017

Room Tour: Angus's Bedroom


I have absolutely loved this decorating project for all sorts of reasons; it's a nice room with loads of storage which makes everything easier, it's bright, I love the colours, and Angus just let me get on with it. As long as I incorporated his favourite things - badgers, books, forests, nature - he was happy for me to do my thing. Questions were met with shrugs, nods or head shakes. 

One of my favourite things about the room is how the painted bed turned out. I love how with a bit of sanding and painting it looks so much better than it did before and only cost me the price of the tin of paint. The hand-stamped bedding was time consuming to make, but worth the effort and washes really well. The yellow cushion is one I've had for some time, moved from it's home in the living room.


My other favourite part is the gallery wall above the bed. I was going for a sort of monochrome nature/forest theme but added two handmade embroidery hoops to stop it all looking too boring. The garland above I made with felt balls strung on white cotton thread.


The new-to-us carpet makes a huge difference to the room. It's warmer and softer than the one we removed and the light brown colour stops the space feeling too chilly. I was also very excited when I remembered that I had my Dad's old vintage anglepoise lamp in the garage and that it still works, and it looks great on Angus's bedside table.


The blind was already there but I decorated it with black fabric paint and a potato stamp. I was unsure about this at first but it's grown on me and I love it now.


The bookcase works much better in this new position and gives Angus more floor space for playing. 


There is a little space at the side, just perfect for beanbag. I've seen a pattern for a crocheted one which I really like.


His desk also works much better in it's new position, in an alcove under a wall light. I've noticed that Angus sits here much more now than he did before.


I made this wall hanging from some wool felt and a thin baton of wood. I'd seen similar things on trendy children's websites and thought it would be pretty easy to make something of my own.



Unfortunately, the original IKEA chest of drawers - already damaged when we moved house - fell to pieces when we tried to move it so we had to buy a new one. It's only a cheap white flat-pack one but I enjoyed personalising it with new handles. And really, I don't think the children necessarily need investment, high quality furniture in their rooms. It takes such a battering, and they change their needs so frequently. I'd rather save up for a good sofa, say, or dining room table. 


The black and white basket used to live in our hallway but I think it works much better in here as toy storage.


I worked really hard to keep the costs as low as possible throughout this project, only buying: the chest of drawers, paint, prints, a couple of frames, a tree rubber stamp, craft supplies and drawer knobs. There was also the cost of fitting the carpet.

I gave the bed, blind and duvet cover a bit of a make-over, and things like the toy basket and bedside lamp I moved from other parts of the house. As much as possible I tried to use something we already had. I have included links at the bottom if anyone wants to know things like paint colours. Thanks so much for all your encouragement and interest in this project. I have promised Bella that we'll do her room over the Easter holidays and something tells me it won't be as easy as Angus's room, partly because it's so small, but mainly because Bella has very clear ideas on what she'd like and very strong opinions, and we don't always see eye to eye...

Thanks also for the advice and sympathy regarding the dog hair situation. It's really cold today so Molly might regret shedding all that fur quite so soon. Enjoy your weekends everyone. 

*


Useful links:

The walls were painted in plain white emulsion and the bed in slate grey eggshell paint. 
Felt balls and felt for the wall hanging were all bought from Cloud Craft.
Bear print - Seventy Tree
Cabin in the forest print - Little Tea Wagon at Etsy
Phases of the moon print - Etsy 
The rubber tree stamp is from Etsy.
Picture frames and drawer knobs were from Wilko.

38 comments:

  1. Absolutely LOVELY Gillian, well done you. Love the badger sitting nonchalantly on the bed head, we have a bear who likes to sit just like that. The blind is a triumph, it looks exactly like something Lotta Jansdotter might have designed. The wall hanging is brilliant too. Honestly Gillian, you should bring out your own line. Hope you have a good weekend. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. And good that Angus likes to sit there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is absolutely lovely. Everything looks so stylish, yet comfortable too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Gillian,
    I think I'd feel right home in a forest/animal/booked themed room. Aren't boys great at letting you get on with it! You've had so much fun, and you've given it such thought and love. And I agree on the furniture front; all our boys have Argos flat pack pine drawers etc, which I've just tatted up. And Marc built their desks at a fraction of the cost of shop bought ones. They don't care, so why worry?
    Have a great weekend.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks terrific, Gillian. He is a very lucky boy to have such a talented mother as well as a beautiful bedroom. My kids have pretty low-end furniture in their rooms (about half the pieces in each of their rooms were literally found on the street, so I'm not kidding), but it's fine with me. Clean them up, put new lining paper inside, cover the scratches...good enough, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely stunning. I love the gallery wall and the painted bed. What a lucky boy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great room. You've done an amazing job. I've really enjoyed seeing it come together. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely & you are so creative. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do for Bella's room. Have a great weekend & take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great. I would take a different approach with Bella and let her plan and work alongside you so that she can experience the same positive feelings as you when you create and be creative. Top job, I hope the little badger likes it. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great transformation. It is just right for a growing boy. Love the monochrome theme too

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love it, you have brought everything together so beautifully and with such craft skills for the individual touches.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have now made me want to decorate my sons bedroom. However he is 17 so I feel this may be a trickier makeover for me. I love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks great, Gillian - what a lovely, calm, homey bedroom. I particularly like the gallery with all its bears, badgers and trees.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can see why he loves his new room its gorgeous, spacious and a great space to grow up in. I love the felt ball garland idea, I may have to steal that for our new dining space update :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is a lovely room, but I could see that already from your first, not-quite-finished pictures you showed us the other day. I'd LOVE the yellow cushion - it would look great on my settee, or my bed! I almost want to do something similar with my Third Room now. It has a pine bed, too, which would hugely profit from painting. But right now, there are other things going on at home that need my attention - we have once again no hot water and heating. The third time in a few weeks! We - the co-owners of the house - have decided we don't want to keep forking out hundreds of euros for repairs but rather invest in a new boiler. It could be some time before that is in place... until then, I go to my parents before work to have a shower, and am happy to spend the weekend at O.K.'s!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's wonderful! Amazing what you can achieve with a bit of creativity and flair for interior design. Well done! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great room, inspirational decorating. Fabulous blog as usual and thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  18. A lovely decorating project, Gillian! Just shows what you can do with a bit of paint and a whole load of imagination. It's great, I'll bet Angus loves his new-look room!
    Margaret P
    www.margaretpowling.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is fabulous!! I would love a room like that. Very stylish and child friendly too. A great place to grow up in!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is fabulous!! I would love a room like that. Very stylish and child friendly too. A great place to grow up in!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is fabulous!! I would love a room like that. Very stylish and child friendly too. A great place to grow up in!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well done. You have inspired me with the painted pine bed. We have one of that design and I can see it would look great like that! super.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great result! It inspires me to do something about my youngest's room.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love it. It is nice when you can put your stamp on their rooms, but alas both my boys now want to make their own choices! I love the blind

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your blog is full of entertainment and helpful information that can allure to anyone anytime. Continue posting! see more
    fantastic post and Thanks for sharing this info. It's very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  26. it is a very calm room with lots of really fun art to look at and do, good use of space and light and I would quite like to have it myself! I think you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a lovely room. I've loved reading about all the personal and homemade touches you've added, especially the bedding. It's going to look great with Angus' new blanket :) The gallery wall is my favourite. x

    ReplyDelete
  28. The room is wonderful and it has been such a pleasure to follow all the stages of its completion through your posts. You are very talented and I love the way you draw all the elements together to make a stylish, practical and homely space for your son.

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's absolutely wonderful. The bed, the gallery of pictures and hoops, the garland, the wall hanging hooks things, the arrangement on top of the chest of drawers - such a delight. Your son must love it. Great that you could use a lot of your existing furniture etc.

    ReplyDelete
  30. It turned out so great! Although I do agree it makes life easier when they allow you to get on with it. Ha ha, I found it more fun that way at least 😉 Look forward to seeing Bella's room transformation too.

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looks fab, and am envious of the free reign you where given by Angus. We are decorating P's room at Easter too and like Bella she has very clear opinions on what will or won't do!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Such a lovely room... great for a little (and not so little) boy. Actually, I would love a room like Angus' too! Love your Mummy-makes. Look forward to seeing Bella'a room!

    ReplyDelete
  33. You've done a brilliant job :) So many lovely touches and what a great space to relax, read and play for Angus.

    ReplyDelete
  34. You did a terrific job it is a perfect bedroom for a growing boy.

    ReplyDelete
  35. It's fantastic! It's full of the things that Angus love and you've done it all with great creativity and kept the costs down. Well done! x

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a great room you have created for Angus, I'm sure he will love playing in it for many, many hours.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Very nice! I love the little details, they make so much difference!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh it's fabulous, I love that little alcove with the desk, such a snug spot, and the potato printing looks really effective on the blind and the basket. xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.