Sunday 5 March 2017

Winter Project: Darning In Those Pesky Ends


Hello! I hope you all had a good weekend? The weather here has been so crazy today, blustery winds with rain, then sun, then rain again, then hailstones, just to mix it up a bit. Lights have been switched on and off so many times it looks like I'm sending out a code. 


It's been a quiet weekend and yet I don't seem to have achieved a lot, beyond dog walking, feeding people, going to the tip, the library and buying Angus some new school shoes. Ok, maybe I have done something. Evenings have been spent in a frenzy of darning in of ends because - and I can barely believe it - Angus's blanket is very nearly finished. The main bulk of the crochet is done and now I am dealing with those ends before starting the border. I am on the home stretch.


There is no denying that there is a lot of yarn to sew in there, but I'm just getting on with it and trying not to mind too much. It's quite therapeutic in a funny way. 

I had hoped to finish this project by the end of February, but no matter. I made great progress over half term, during those long journeys to Durham and back and while staying with my in-laws, and I really picked up speed and enthusiasm once I could see that the end was in sight.


I was feeling a bit glum about this blanket - I still feel that the colours are not quite right but can't put my finger on it - until I draped it over Angus's unmade bed, just to get a feel for how it might look. Then I changed my mind and liked it a whole lot more.


So, I reckon there's maybe another week or two of work in that blanket, depending on how much time I can devote to it in the evenings, and then it will be finished.

Joining in with Jennifer's Winter Project Link Party at her blog Thistlebear.


21 comments:

  1. I think it is great! How good it looks on huis bed !
    With love Manon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeeeek that is a lot of yarn ends:) keep going it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely Gillian, lucky Angus. All those ends, well done you! I go to great lengths to avoid too many ends, I'm hopeless at weaving them in invisibly. I shall look forward to seeing the border. Almost there! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is great being on the home stretch of a big blanket project, isn't it? No matter how much I enjoy a project, at some point I think enough is enough. I love the colours of Angus blanket, they are happy and cheerful. Have a lovely week. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful - although I share your pain over darning in ends. I always vow to do them as I go along, but it never seems to work out that way! I bet Angus will love it and it will all be worth it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Getting the right colours in the border might help you really love it. I think it is BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Angus' blanket, bright but dark. I'm weaving in lots of ends on my grannies right now. You're on the home stretch, lucky you. Cnx

    ReplyDelete
  8. The blanket looks wonderful and will be even more stunning with the border. I am in awe of full sized blankets as I usually only manage baby or lap blankets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous blanket! I often have the thought of sewing in ends as I go along. Maybe one day. Your weekend sounds productive! Ours was far more sedentary - my birthday weekend so walks, pub lunches and cake filled up most of it

    ReplyDelete
  10. The colours are an unusual combination, but I like them! Well done, and I am sure you (and Angus) will be pleased with the finished blanket.
    By the way, I think you achieved quite a lot on your "quiet" weekend - it is more than what I do in one week :-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have just finished a stripy jumper and JEEZ! the ends but nowhere near as many as that. I saw on little Woolie Blog how she worked the ends in with her border but I can't quite remember how she did it - not very useful was it sorry! Have a good week. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks fabulous Gillian. More importantly does Angus like it? I love a striped blanket and they are such a relaxing make, if you don't count darning in the ends.
    I'm really looking forward to seeing it with the border. X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Gillian,
    The blanket looks rather lovely draped over Angus's bed. Those ends are most likely the reason I could never crochet. They'd make me cry!
    Have a lovely week.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to admit that I hate colour change & "ends", but I sew in some each time I pick it up to do some crocheting, & that way it isn't a tedious task at the end. It looks absolutely beautiful. Lucky Angus. We both need to get our borders done, you on that one and me on Lucy's Cupcake rug. It's been too hot here, but as the days turn it will come out. I've finally finished the bits of a jumper I started last Spring & only have to sew & do the neckband, so looks like we'll both be busy with woolly things. Take care & have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a lovely blanket. The evenings around here are still chilly enough for a cuddle.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. The blanket looks quite spectacular Gillian, and I am sure he will treasure it for years to come. Sewing in ends is tiresome no matter how you look at it, but it will be well worth it in the emd, and what a great time of year to be ready to start fresh new spring projects! X

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, I love the colours in the blanket and think it looks wonderful. What a lovely treat for your boy. Enjoy the home stretch! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the colours! The dark stripe gives it a touch of hardness that suits a boy's room.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think the colours are fine, the black nicely picks out the prints in Angus' pillowcase. I bet it feels nice and cosy too. Hope you finish with sewing in those ends soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Gillian, thanks for joining in with my link party. Sorry to be so late getting to your post, I've been having a tough time lately with lingering illness. Angus's blanket is so beautiful. I think you did a fantastic job with the colors. I've always felt that way, from my first glimpse of it. I am sure it will be well-loved for a long time.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.