Thursday 9 March 2017

Black and White and Trees


Oh dear, I had a feeling this would happen. Depsite the head of steam I built up with decorating over half term, now that I am back at work it's all slowed down. I keep wanting to get Angus's room finished so that I can share a "ta da!" post with you, but that's a way off yet. 

All the furniture is in place and books and toys back in their homes, but there are pictures to hang and things to make. Details, really, but I won't think of the room as finished until they are done. And I don't know about you, but it's the details I love the most, the tinkering and arranging that happens when the hard work is done.

So, here's a quick update with where I am:

The bed is painted and looking smart. I am very happy with how this turned out. 


The hand-stamped bedding is finished. It took a lot longer than I thought it would but saved me about £60. Also, it really does wash well.


I removed the small metal handles on Angus's chest of drawers and swapped them for some of my own.


They are plain wooden drawer pulls, bought from Wilko, and painted with leftover paint from our dining room wall.


I am gathering together pictures to frame. I did buy two new prints but I'm trying to make do with other things we already have and just refresh them with a new border or frame, most of which have been bought very cheaply from Wilko and IKEA. The temptation to just go and buy brand new everything is there, but I am resisting. Also, I have realised that  - especially with a black and white print - it's so much cheaper to buy a downloadable PDF than order a print! I only just realised this. But for lots of prints on Etsy, say, you can buy a gorgeous image for around £5 and just print it off on your home printer onto some card. Brilliant.


A friend of mine spent half term skiing in Lake Tahoe and took loads of photos on her phone of the incredible, snow covered scenery. 


I've been playing around with the idea of using some of these photos to create some more images for Angus's wall. I cropped this one of the skiiers coming down the hill, changed it to black and white then increased the contrast. I printed it as a 5 x 7 inch picture onto a piece of white card then popped it in a 8 x 10 inch frame. 



Felt balls are waiting for a needle and thread so that they can be strung together into a garland.


And I plan to make a wall hanging using all these gorgeous monochrome felts on a large white background, hung from a wooden pole.



There's definitely a forest-y vibe going on here.

29 comments:

  1. What a very beautiful and calm room you have created!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, what a lucky boy he is. You have put me to shame, I need to make some nice things for my boys' rooms I think. I really love the skiing print, what a clever idea, and it's far more personal done that way. Nicely done Gillian. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Progress looks amazing, It is a wonderful mix of calm and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky Angus. His room is going to look amazing and what a clever idea about the photos; you are one very talented lady. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I really like what you've done. That hand stamping must have taken forever. The black and white print you made is gorgeous and I love the badger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of it! You are so creative. I especially like the framed art, the photo alteration is really clever. I might have you help me redecorate my son's room; I told him we would do something new this year because he's turning 12 and we haven't done anything new since he was 7 or 8. He doesn't seem to care either way, but I do! I'm excited to start planning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great! I love every bit of it, and wish I had the creativity and handiness to put something like that in action. The felt balls with the pale yellow would be THE THING for my living room - they are precisely my colour scheme.
    How many little boys can say they sleep in a bed painted by their Mam, under bedsheets hand-stamped by her, too?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's going to be very calming and styling, I like the idea of using your friend's photographs, you could maybe have some enlarged and make a window effect on a wall. Hope it all comes together soon, you're nearly there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous room, and you really are at the fun bit now! So lovely that your boy's room will have such special Mummy-makes. And the ski pic is brilliant - it looks like a vintage print

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is all fabulous, Gillian. I love the skiing photo-print – very clever and so effective (and thanks for the tip re pdf prints!). It's brilliant that you can channel your impressive creativity into transforming your boy's room. I'm sure he loves it. Have a good weekend. S x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gillian - you are just so darn crafty! I think making is so much better than buying mass produced, especially for your children. I am not near as talented as you are, but when my daughter asks, "Mom, can you make this for me?", I am inspired by her belief in me. What a gift you're giving to your son, not only in the things you are making for him, but in teaching him a valuable lesson too. That skiing photo turned out great and the bedspread was a major undertaking! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE all of your ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Clever you! What a lucky boy he is to have such a creative mum x

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks amazing and very chic. We have just finished Maxi's room (well apart from a rug and the finishing touches)!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohh, it all looks so beautiful! You must be so chuffed. I am amid doing up baby's nursery at the moment and would love to know where you got your felt balls from?!
    Glad to see Angus's monkey is at home in his new pad x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They are from cloudcraft.co.uk - you can order by colour there. But if you Google felt balls they're widely available. X

      Delete
  16. Looking good. We have just swapped the photos of the girls around in their bedroom because they were of them as babies and toddlers so I asked them which ones they would like to replace and which ones they would like to display. They loved choosing what went on the wall over their bed. have a good weekend. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is all looking wonderful and I can't wait to see the bed with your gorgeous crochet blanket on it. The quilt printing has worked brilliantly and looks amazing. Love the idea of PDF printed pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so impressed with your craftiness! It is coming together so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You work very hard, the room is going to look stunning when you add the final bits and pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've really enjoyed following your decorating progress on instagram (which I'm new to!) and this room is looking brilliant. I love the hand stamped duvet cover and those pictures are lovely - that was a great idea to use the skiing one but my favourite has to be the cabin in the woods one!

    ReplyDelete
  21. YOu should be a designer. The room is looking fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  22. it looks amazing. I still have pictures to hang nearly a year after painting! You really should train in design you have such a talent for it. Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  23. the bed frame has come out amazing! the duvet set is really eye catching.

    ReplyDelete
  24. If it is any consolation, Angus not quite finished room looks far more finished than any of my childrens' completely finished rooms! You are amazing! Love the prints and the bedlinen. It makes me want to make something for James and Alistair. They still have the paintings Sam and Annie made for them as a welcome to the family present. These were for much younger minds. x

    ReplyDelete
  25. You really do have an eye for design - that is one very coherent and stylish room!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great ideas you have, Gillian!! I love each detail (specially the trees in the sheets and in the felt flag; oh, and the great photo turned into poster!!)! I think it´s a comfortable and lovely scenery to be!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.