Sunday 11 December 2016

Festive Happies



What a lovely weekend I've had. Nothing special, nothing fancy, just a lot of pottering around the house with Bella and Angus while John was at work, doing nice things together just the three of us. Well, four if you count Molly.

Making me happy this weekend:

:: Pink poinsettias.


:: Angus in his Christmas jumper writing his Christmas cards. This is the first year he's willingly done this and it's mostly because his handwriting has improved. He told me proudly that his teacher said he's "nearly ready to start using a pen!" which is apparently a very big deal


:: Dogs cuddling dogs.


:: Boxes of clementines.


:: Crafting with air drying clay while listening to Christmas music. This was my first time using this and I really enjoyed it - I will show you the results soon.


:: Making paper chains in our pyjamas this morning.


:: Decorating the tree yesterday afternoon. This was the first year that it wasn't stressful. Partly because I didn't try to turn it into a massive Family Event, partly because the children are older and - Bella especially - can actually help with things like untangling the lights. 


:: Arranging a Christmassy mantel with much less colour than usual and I really like it this way.


:: Twinkly lights reflecting in the window.


:: Molly. Even if she did steal and eat a huge ball of raw gingerbread dough, left on the side for mere moments, ready to be rolled out and cut into shapes for Bella and Angus's homework. She suffered no ill effects thankfully but slept a lot, and I had to quickly made another batch of dough. Nothing is safe from the greyhound! It is a bit like having a baby in that, when she's sleeping, I get a lot done. When she's awake, not so much.


Thank you for your nice words about my Christmas napkins. Please know that faffing around with ultimately pointless and unnecessary things like cross stitched napkins is my way of retreating from the madness at this time of year, of maintaining some mental equilibrium, and in no way makes me more organised or prepared for the coming weeks.  

17 comments:

  1. Hi Gillian,
    Yes, hounds will steal absolutely anything - and unfortunately they can reach everything! Your cookie dough experience did make me laugh. Many a time my furious husband has driven off to the shop to repurchase whatever has been stolen during dinner preparation (steak, fish, a whole chicken - you name it, it's been stolen!). I do explain to him that it is really our fault since anything not in the fridge or larder is fair game. It seems that you have discovered this to be the case! Who would have thought that a dog would like cookie dough?! Dogs in carb comas are a familiar occurrence here, too! Added to that, one of my dogs can open doors and the other can open the 'dog proof' bin and both have the ability to move around silently when necessary. Why burglars are compared to cats is a mystery! Despite the thieving, I am sure Molly will bring you endless pleasure and I have enjoyed reading about her antics today. Stephanie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfully festive photos Gillian. I love your crochet stockings and molly is adorable. So happy she is settling in well, and making herself at home :0)
    She is lucky to have ended up with you.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post Gillian, and a lovely weekend. Dogs are so greedy and don't know what is good for them. Jack grabbed a half empty takeaway box with leftover fried rice and chips (don't ask), opened it woolfed it all down. I folded some kite paper stars today to calm my mind. It is nice to faff over something beautiful and non-essential. I have already added napkins to me list of things I absolutely want to make. Have a good week. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post, Gillian - it really radiates the warmth and Christmassy spirit you felt this weekend! I love every bit of it, even Molly's dough-nicking :-) Good job she didn't have any stomach problems afterwards.
    Your paper chains are such a good idea (and so easy to do); I always want to make some myself now! We used to make them with our Mum when we were little.

    Have a good week, and carry that festive happiness with you all through it, not letting pressures and stress from outside get to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed that post so much & realise how much I miss my brood, now all grown up with their own broods. Woops Molly, you need to use your manners and ask! Your decorating looks stunning & I'm looking forward to seeing how the air-dry clay goes. I've thought about something like that myself, if I can find somewhere to buy it. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your last paragraph made me laugh. Hand stitched napkins are an excellent way to give the illusion that you are completely in control of it all. Love the paper chains. The littlest boy had a sudden desire to make some at the weekend as well. I am learning a lot from your dog keeping experiences. I am writing "short legs" on my list of desirable attributes. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have the nicest home!! It lifts my mood each time I read your blog!! Happy lovely Christmas to you and your family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your home looks beautiful and peaceful, well as long as Molly is asleep anyway. I finally had to just stop all the craziness and knit yesterday. Just to stop my heart from racing. Love your decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tree decorating for us this weekend too and you are right, it does get less stressful. I just divvied up the stuff, put the lights on and let the girls get on with it. I actually made a Chocolate cake while watching them from afar. Have a good week. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Molly is so cute - you can't be cross with her. I love the napkins.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You reminded me that I haven't bought a poinsetta yet this year. I need to do that soon! I love air-dry clay too, it's very easy to work with and forgiving too. I enjoyed seeing your decorations, it's all looking very festive there. Naughty Molly, I bet she loved her dough. I had a dog when I was a kid who swiped a whole stick of butter off the table! He was sick later but he probably loved it at first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I heard about a greyhound who used to sweep a front leg along the kitchen worktop to knock food onto the floor! Luckily our dog has never tried that. I think. It does add another dimension to family life, doesn't it?! Gorgeous, peaceful, happies here Gillian. I love your five initials stamped into the clay and your understated mantle. S xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking beautifully festive... I love a gentle weekend. Ours was this weekend, with the tree being decorated and some cards being written without complaint from P. So sweet how progressing to a pen seems such a grown up step to Angus!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh your post has made me feel all festive and happy. Molly's antics are funny to read about and she looks very cute cuddling her toy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always enjoy your blog--your home is so warm and cozy. Molly has lots of new rules to learn and I'm glad you are patient with her. I've only lived in the USA---"faffing" is my new Favorite Word!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love holidays! And your house is like from a Christmas postcard. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  17. When Daisy first came to us, starved, skinny as could be and very 'hyper', I heard the skittering of nails on hard surface, turned round and realised she had done an impersonation of a Harrier Jump Jet and lept onto the kitchen counter. Unfortunately (for Daisy), she banged her head on the wall cupboards and scared herself so much she has never done it again. I couldn't be angry with her, I was laughing too much and trying to cuddle her to calm her down.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.