Thursday 22 December 2016

Beach Walks and Birthdays


Phew, it's been a old busy week here. Between Bella's birthday, Christmas preparations, seeing family and running around after the dog, each day has been packed to the limit. Bella turned ten on Sunday and at her request we went into Chichester to spend her birthday money and to Pizza Express for lunch. My mum threw a little family tea party later in the afternoon and we all gathered together for cake, including Molly, who stole a whole slice right off the dining room table.


On Tuesday we held Bella's party at a local gymnastic centre, and they had an hour on the equipment, supervised by an instructor, followed by a party lunch with all her school friend and cousins. It worked really well. It was, of course, completely exhausting (I do not particularly enjoy hosting children's birthday parties) but Bella enjoyed herself immensely which is all that matters. I thought her choice of birthday cake this year - chocolate, decorated with strawberries - was a grown up choice. Her tastes are changing, although she was over the moon with her Sylvanian Families toys and new doll, so she is still my little girl, even if she is now in "double digits".


We had the most glorious walk on the beach at the weekend. It was Molly's first proper visit to the sea and is was wonderful to watch her sniff and explore. I would love to watch her run on the sand and I really hope we can let her off her lead at some point in the future, but unfortunately her recall training is non-existent at the moment. We have removed her muzzle now and she is happy to sniff and play with larger dogs but not fond of little ones - still work to do there. But what I noticed is that we had four lovely conversations with other dog owners on Saturday - people old and young who we wouldn't normally chat to - about our dog, their dogs, the warm weather (the kids were in t-shirts!) and it was really nice. 


I've found our daily dog walks a welcome moment of calm in these busy days. It's a juggle to fit them in but, once we're out, it's very restorative. We discovered some woodland with a stream running through it just five minutes from our house, and it's become my favourite daily walk with Molly before work. Usually I march us around (I've lost four pounds since we became dog owners!) but yesterday I went with my sister and nephew, and we lingered down there for ages while the kids paddled in the stream, clambered around the woods, looked for big sticks and generally got completely filthy. It was great.


Something shifted today and I felt some of the Christmas pressure lift. My parents took Bella, Angus and Molly out for a walk this morning and then gave them lunch, giving me around four hours alone in the house. Four precious, sweet, blissful hours where no-one shouted "Mum!" or had to be let out for a wee in the garden. It was just wonderful. I basically cleaned everything and then wrapped lots of presents - nothing glamourous, but it was so good to have some time alone to get on with jobs unhindered. My to do list is now shorter and, while there is a lot to do tomorrow (the food shop, collect the turkey, visit my Grandad, ready the house for John's parents who are coming to stay for Christmas), I think there will less frantic rushing around and hopefully a few moments to relax and enjoy this time of year. 

Do you remember that I was crocheting a koala and chimpanzee for Bella and Angus? Well, Bella's koala is finished and wrapped, but Angus's chimpanzee....oh dear. I've crocheted one leg so far and it's highly unlikely it will be done in time for Christmas. I told him this and he said brightly, "It's OK Mummy, you can give it to me on Boxing Day!" I didn't have the heart to tell him that it probably won't be ready by Boxing Day, either.


*

My fabulous new table cloth is from here and Angus's badger print is from here - these are not sponsored links, just two independent makers/sellers that I like and you might too. 

22 comments:

  1. Great post. The children really look like they are enjoying the dog in the family. I was thinking of you today when I saw some napkin rings and thought - air drying clay! maybe next year ay? My friend had my girls yesterday for the afternoon and I had hers today so we both had some 'present wrapping time' It worked really well. Happy Christmas Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the pictures of the kids and Molly! Dogs bring another dimension to our lives and we would be poorer without them. Merry Christmas to all your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly is a cutie. You will notice the seasons more when dog walking

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad it's working out with Molly. She seems to be living like a queen with all the food! Ha. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful walks and photos. Did I wish Bella Happy Birthday? If I didn't, give her a hug from Oz. I've been slack with cards etc, this year & left it all too late, so I'm afraid I'm way behind on everything. Enjoy your Christmas with family, take care & huggles all round.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So lovely to see Molly settling in so well, she looks so loved and happy. You will soon find how many people you meet through dog walking, you might not know their names but you will know their dog's names. Most dog walkers are a friendly lot. Hope you all have a very Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a lovely week, even if it was busy and exhausting. I'm glad Bella had a good birthday. Ten is an excellent age I think. Still little enough not to be too pressured by things, but big enough for a bit of independence. I love Angus's confidence in your crocheting speed. You can spend Christmas Day whipping it up! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh don't you just love children's confinfidence in mum's superwoman abilities! Fabulous pictures and Molly looks so much part of the family. Have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for popping in for a lovely visit, Gillian. I enjoyed glimpses of your busy days and am glad Bella enjoyed celebrating her tenth birthday. I am confident you will get the gift for Angus done....perhaps not by Boxing Day. One year when our children were little my dear husband stayed up all the night before Christmas [don't try it] helping me finish sailor sock dolls...a vivid memory. Merry Christmas to you and yours! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, warm enough to be running around in t-shirts?! It has definitely become milder here in the course of the day yesterday, but we'll probably get no more than around 8 Celsius on the weekend - definitely not t-shirt weather :-)
    You sound incredibly busy, and I am sure your day has more than 24 hours, otherwise how do you cram it all in?
    No such thing as Christmas pressure for me; it is all very relaxed and nice, as I am only going to host a small family dinner (5 of us) on the 27th and will be a guest for the rest of the time; first at my parents', then at O.K.'s.
    A full working day today, my last one this year; then I'm off until the 9th of January!

    Lovely pictures, as always... your house is just so beautiful, and I am glad to hear Molly can already go muzzle-free.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's not tee shirt weather up North! I don't have Christmas pressure, all very low key here, but so enjoying the rest. Love the photos particularly Bella and Molly. X

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many benefits to dog-ownership :-)! It's lovely to see photos of you all looking so happy and Molly so settled. Gorgeous photos all round. I hope your Christmas is wonderful and that you have plenty of time to relax and enjoy yourself. Sam xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great pics.Love the ones of Molly.x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bella's cake looks beautiful and delicious! Can't believe she is ten now. Hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas! I love your new tablecloth!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dog walks, beaches, birthday cake and crochet - sounds like a perfect week to me. Have a wonderful Christmas and belated birthday wishes to your gorgeous daughter. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello. I love reading your blog.I just wondered, have you been on the website dotcom gifts? I noticed in their sale stuff, they have alot of "Mr Badger" merchandise.Cake decorations, cases, straws, placemat, lunchbag etc.Just thought I would let you know.Merry Christmas. Trace x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We do already have a few things in that range - lunchbox and notebook, for starters - but it's good to know there is more should we need it! :-)

      Delete
  18. Lovely photographs... Hope the relaxing days are continuing - today I am baking and the last bits of wrapping, which I love. Oh, and watching Prep and Landing of course! Happy birthday Bella, and a Merry christmas

    ReplyDelete
  19. I ought to say 'hello' . . . I wandered in from ???, hmm, think it was liking a comment you had left with Susan in Australia (GrannySmith).

    Your blog is beautiful and I hope you don't mind, I'll be reading through a lot of your older posts over the holiday, so don't be surprised if you get random comments on really old entries!

    I know what you mean about those few minutes of precious calm when you have the house completely to yourself - bliss :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Birthday to your brilliant girl. She is just lovely. Merry Christmas to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.