Thursday 8 December 2016

A Set Of Hand Stitched Christmas Napkins


Shall we call 2016 the year of the napkin? You would think that I'd had enough of cross stitching onto small squares of fabric this year, but no, it's still a lovely thing to do.


These are for Christmas and Boxing Day, for special family meals. Then they will be washed and packed away, ready to bring out next year. Isn't unpacking boxes of Christmas decorations one of the nicest things? Full of treasures you love and haven't seen for eleven months, waiting to be handled and displayed once again.

I really enjoyed deciding what to sew on each one. The robin was an obvious choice and I quite liked making the pattern on a piece of graph paper, trying to turn an organic shape into a series of squares.


Likewise the parcel wrapped in brown paper and the Christmas pudding.


The tree, snowflake and mittens are from the pattern for Alicia Paulson's Winterwoods sampler (which I think might still be one of my favourite things that I've made, ever).


I deliberately didn't iron these napkins. I like the way linen looks when it's freshly washed and softly crinkled.


I can't wait to use them this Christmas. I am already looking forward to setting the table on Christmas Day, making it look pretty and festive with a white cloth and lots of greenery and candles. Of course we all know that it only stays perfect for about five minutes before it is covered in opened crackers, paper hats, spilt gravy and dollops of cranberry jelly, but it's still something I enjoy doing. 


But before that I need to: write and post cards, finish buying and making gifts, wrap gifts, buy a tree, decorate the tree, decorate the house...oh, you know, not much.

*

Thank you ever so much for your lovely comments about Molly. She is doing great. It's hard work but she's worth it and making big improvements in behaviour every day, and coming out of her shell more too.









29 comments:

  1. I so love your napkins--they are little works of art! Just consider Molly a Labor of Love. She will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, these are beautiful, just beautiful! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'It is beginning to look a lot like Christmas' My favourite job is laying the table too. Oh! Gillian if only we lived closer to each other... Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obviously those napkins are divine, I got carried away on the keyboard there XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful look for your table and I too enjoy unpacking my Christmas decorations too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are beautiful!!! I hope you enjoy using them a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Read about your Molly with great interest. We have two rescued dogs with the German Shepherd who was initially trained as a guard dog having special needs. But they are both much loved by us and so loyal. What lovely things you have and share. I like how so many are little because I believe the small and simple bits in life are the most pleasurable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your napkins are so nice (although I would press them, if they were mine, since I am not so fond of linen exactly because it's crinkly) - I can't decide whether I love the robin most, or the snow flake, or the Christmas pudding. Probably the robin!
    Seeing that you made six but your household has four humans (and one canine) members, are the other two for your parents or will you have other guests on Christmas Day?

    Like you, I love unpacking the Christmas box - it is like greeting old friends!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous little makes. I quite agree about the joy of bringing decorations out each year. These will make a lovely addition to your festivities. I'm glad Molly is settling in well x

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a lovely tradition you have created with your Christmas napkins. These are the things that make it all so special.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are beautiful, Gillian, and I love the way you've photographed them. I agree about christmas decorations, although the time in between packing them away and getting them out again seems to have shrunk! I'm glad to hear Molly is settling in well. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful xmassy napkins! Great needelework

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful napkins, beautifully stitched. I'm a big fan of linen napkins, they're always in use round here. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty napkins, Gillian! Enough detail to be interesting, not too much to make the small squares of linen look over-loaded with colour. Just perfect.
    Margaret P
    www.margaretpowling.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was feeling all bah humbug, and mumbling about "How can anybody have the time to cross stitch on napkins...." but that's not fair. It's my own fault I spend my time not cross stitching, because I'm busy elsewhere. And being totally honest I love your napkins. How beautiful will they be to use year after year? And such a lovely sign of caring and attention to detail. Please accept my inner Scrooge's apology and my reformed Scrooge loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A really sweet idea Gillian - nothing big and splashy, but sure to make people smile.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The napkins are just beautiful, Gillian!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are so lovely and your table will look very festive on Christmas day. I especially love the ones that came from your own drawings, they're fantastic. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely Gillian. Enjoy using them and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. They are beautiful Gillian. A perfect addition to your Christmas table. X

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful work and your attention to detail and photography skills showcase your work beautifully. Sadly, I would have to steam iron them with maybe a wee touch of starch spray-lol. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  22. I now have serious napkin envy! These are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your napkins are very pretty! I also love to put my stitched napkins on th etable during holidays but my hubby refuses to use them :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. So pretty and delightfully festive in a most gorgeous way. I love having things just for use at this time of year... drinking from my Christmas mugs is always a joy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those are so beautifl, I would hate to use them! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Gillian, your napkins came out so beautifully. I love that they're all different. It was a very good idea to use motifs from the Winterwoods sampler. They all work so well together. I love your bespoke robin too, very sweet and realistic too, I think. Thanks for joining in with my party!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The napkins are beautiful and your Christmas table is going to look wonderful. I love the way they are all different but work perfectly together.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.