Saturday 6 February 2016

Winter Project: The Simplest of Granny Square Blankets


A few months ago, my pregnant friend at school was admiring my poncho and we got chatting about crochet. She said how much she'd like a crocheted blanket for her baby. She wasn't hinting, she just mentioned it. I smiled and said something like, if I didn't work all week I'd love to make you one.


I went away and kept thinking about my friend and her soon-to-arrive-baby and how much I love to crochet. About how good it feels to make things for people and give them away as gifts, about how (hopefully) pleased she'd be if I offered to make her something. And so I just started crocheting this blanket one night, working through a bag of acrylic DK scraps in random colours on a 4 mm hook, not really thinking about it too much, just enjoying crocheting the simplest of granny squares, something I hadn't done in a really long time.


I reckoned on about 48 squares being big enough for a baby blanket, ie. big enough to use on a car seat or pram. I love how the colours are soothed and harmonised by the addition of the white border. I used the join as you go method and blocked it before adding a border.



I think I made the whole thing in a couple of weeks. It probably took as long to darn in the ends as it did to crochet. And now my friend has had her baby (a girl, named Luciana, isn't that pretty?) and once she's had time to catch her breath I'll go round with this blanket and hopefully receive some new-baby snuggles in exchange.



Joining in with the lovely Jennifer's Winter Project Link Party.


*

So, Christmas Cake. Gosh, so many great comments and suggestions! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me, and making me giggle too. 

It seems like a lot of us make it because it's part of our Christmas tradition, rather than for the love of eating it, and we are stuck with lots of leftover cake. I think I need a different tradition and a different cake. 

Freezing it in pieces is a good idea, although I think I'd find it two years later and unwrap it, wondering what on earth it was. (Does anyone else play dinner-lottery with the frozen leftovers that they forgot to label? Chilli? Bolognese sauce? Curry? Let's defrost it and find out!) 

A few of you said just throw it out, and I get that, but I just can't bring myself to chuck away perfectly good food, and I already have an attack of middle class guilt every time I put a manky broccoli head in the bin. You have to have time to tackle leftovers. Time and inclination. Any leftover cake now will be given to the (lucky) birds. 

A few of you asked what's in a Christmas cake: well, it's just what we call a fruit cake, which is a fairly plain cake absolutely filled with dried fruits and sometimes nuts too, baked slowly in a moderate oven or the top burns. A lot of people add alcohol in to keep it moist and for the flavour, which adds to the rich, slightly decadent feel of the cake. Traditionally it's covered in marzipan/almond paste and iced with royal icing (so it looks like snow) but I don't bother with that part. For those who want to make one for the first time and are unfamiliar, then yes, google Christmas Cake and go to someone like Delia Smith for a truly authentic cake. I was thinking that no-one would be wanting to make a fruit cake at this time of year but then Easter is approaching, and I know many people like to bake a Simnel Cake for Easter, so perhaps you will.

Gosh, this cake talk is exhausting. Who knew we all had so much to say on the subject! I declare it closed until next October when I will no doubt be making another Christmas cake, but a very small one, just for me. 




33 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous blanket, your friend will be thrilled, it's perfect for a baby, always so useful to have a blanket to wrap them in. And it's something that they won't grow out of after five minutes. I know exactly what you mean about the lottery of the mystery package from the freezer. Freezer Surprise. Often served here. Have a good Sunday Gillian. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a sweet blanket Gillian. It will be perfect for baby Luciana. Have a lovely Sunday. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky Luciana. Your blanket is beautiful and I'm sure your friend will love it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty, Gillian. Your friend and her baby are very lucky to have a friend like you. My daughter has a good friend named Luciana, Luci for short, and I always think about how pretty her name is. I hope your friend and baby are doing well. Thank you for joining in with my link party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your gift is going to be very much appreciated, and new-baby snuggles sound like a fair swap indeed! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blanket is just going to be the loveliest gift ever. Enjoy those baby snuggles when you get them.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such lovely bright clean colours....I really like this one. Your friend will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a pretty blanket and sure it will be much appreciated for the time and thought that went into it. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely bright and pretty blanket. Lucky baby!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Freezer lottery is the norm at our house, I don't know why we don't label our left overs. I have had curry for tea when I expecting stew and vice versa, the apple and rhubarb was a bit of surprise and was never going to work with a jacket potato!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet blanket! I am sure your friend will love it. It is a very thoughtful gift.

    I can't help with the Christmas cake - I hate it! As an American in the UK, I could never understand the appeal, but hey ho, each to their own. But I am completely with you on the mystery frozen food. The other day I defrosted what I thought was lasagne sauce but turned out to be chilli!

    ReplyDelete
  12. the blanket is gorgeous, what a lucky baby xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous blanket with perfect colours for a new baby. I'm sure your friend will be over the moon. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful blanket, your friend will just love it. You have just reminded me about simmel cake, I love it! I always make one at easter x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Jennifer,
    Lovely blanket. Lovely name. My friend named her little girl Arianna... I had the names Gracie (for Sam), Eve (for Alf) and Pippa (for Olly). Perhaps I'll have lovely named grand daughters.
    Enjoy Brighton!
    LeAnn xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Late to the party on the Christmas cake debate, but Mary Berry has a recipe for tiny fruit cakes that you make in washed out tuna/baked bean cans. I used to make them for my in-laws and they sound perfect if you are the only one that eats it!
    The blanket is lovely, I'm sure your friend and her baby will love it. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful blanket, the colours are so cheery and is sure to be loved.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lucky friend. What a lucky baby, and please give her a huggle from me. I love babies!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am sure your friend will be delighted with the blanket, it is beautiful and I am sure she will let you have baby cuddles in return - sounds a good deal to me. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. You will be friend of the year with that little gift. It is beautiful and I love that it is totally random. There is a bit too much of the colour matchy, peg procrastinating colour shenanigans for me on the internet - I like the pickup and go then see what you get style of grannies, that is what makes them so charming. Have a great week. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a sweet gift! I promised to make a babyblanket for a Young couple expecting their first baby but I can't really decide on the design. Granny squares might be the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Granny squares, simple and beautiful - the blanket is lovely. Oh yes, we call our unknown freezer contents lucky dip lunch. Have a great week. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. The blanket is darling - lucky friend and her baby! Handmade gifts are certainly the most cherished!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Every baby needs a handmade blanket. This is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a beautiful blanket and a lovely name too. Hope you're having a good week xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this blanket! It is beautiful!! this is one to try for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a precious gift you made, Gillian, even if you surprised yourself by making it :) You inspire me to dare to dream that one day I might actually make a proper granny square creation! I hope you get to enjoy snuggling little Luci in the blanket you made for her. xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your blanket, love that is quite simple yet looks so effective, I'm currently mid blanket making for my 2 year old, love that they'll have a handmade blanket to keep forever xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. The blanket is so sweet. I'm sure your friend and her new baby will love it. It's inspiring me to get my granny square throw and work on it again. Although I have to finish another blanket first! X

    ReplyDelete
  30. a beautiful blanket, and you're right the white brings it all together so nicely. We definitely play freezer lottery here!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.