Monday 22 February 2016

Late February Days



We went to Yorkshire and it snowed. We were staying with good friends that we've known for years and years, in their house high up in the hills near Holmfirth, and we'd spent the morning walking off our hangovers in the sun and eating a cooked breakfast. Suddenly the snow came down thick and fast for about ten minutes. It didn't settle. When it stopped we went out for tea: pie, chips and gravy. (Eating is my path through a hangover.)

Then northwards to Durham to see John's family. I "persuaded" everyone that a quick trip to Seaham beach for a walk (for me to look for sea glass) would be a cracking good idea in one degree winds. We would have stayed longer were we not about to lose all feeling in our extremities, but what a lot we found. The trouble with looking for sea glass, though, is that you spend the whole time bending over looking at the ground when you could be looking at the sea or the sky.

We were home at the end of the week in time for me to celebrate being one whole year older. I tried to convince my niece that I was twenty eight, not thirty eight, and she just looked at me through narrowed eyes and really scrutinised my face, then said "I don't believe you".

I don't care. I had a completely lovely day. Friends from near and far sent cards and parcels. New friends from school called in with gifts and flowers which was unexpected and moved me a bit, as I was not expecting that at all. Bella drew me a new family portrait which nearly made me cry when I unwrapped it. My family came round in the afternoon and we sat in front of the fire and drank tea and ate three types of cake. John made a blackcurrant and liquorice cake (so, so, so good) and then my parents babysat so we could go out. A really top day. All birthdays should fall on Saturdays, don't you think? 

And when I look at myself through Bella's eyes I don't think I look a day over twenty eight. 


37 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday and Many Happy Returns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic birthday gift from Bella! Sounds like you've had a great half term!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Gillian,
    I'm still swooning over that cake ;) It sounds as if you had a simply lovely birthday, which is always helped by being on a Saturday (mine is too this year). Such a thoughtful present from Bella. And yes, you don't look a day over 28. And can I just say that I am extremely jealous of your Seaham sea glass haul.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Gillian. So wonderful to be surrounded by kind loving family and friends, I am glad you had a great day. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to you, Gillian. It's weird how you look 28 and I look more like 48. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely picture, clever Bella, it's a wonderful gift. The cake looks pretty excellent as well. What lovely glass you found, so beautifully rounded and shiny. I'm glad you had such a good birthday, I'm wishing you a very good year. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Friend. I absolutely LOVE that picture, it would bring a tear to my eye too not to mention those lovely heeled boots! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many happy returns and you definitely don't look a day over 28. Great cake, great sea glass and great family portrait. Sounds like a perfect half term and birthday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday. It sounds like it was a fun one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A belated Happy Birthday to you! And indeed, who cares whether you are 28, 38 or 48 (like me in 4 weeks today). All that counts, all that you are happy about in your life, is there independently of your age.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 38, so young!! Glad you had a happy birthday. It's so important to celebrate birthdays and allow your family and friends to spoil you a little X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday for last Saturday. Love your sea glass. What a lovely picture from Bella- the best gifts are always hand made especially from the children. 38 is no age at all - just love every minute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday, the cake looks delicious and the picture is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like you had a wonderful birthday weekend Gillian. I will be 38 in another few weeks too ! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. sounds like a wonderful week and a wonderful birthday. I love that picture from Bella. priceless x

    ReplyDelete
  16. It all sounds wonderful and happy birthday you young thing! Bella's picture is delightful – I'd blub if one of my children gave me something like that. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday. Such a great picture of Bella's! Sounds like a lovely few days.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy birthday! Glad you had a lovely day and what thoughtful gifts you have - and a talented daughter! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday, sound like you had a wonderful time and wow all the sea glass, so lovely
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Belated Birthday so glad you were spoiled.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a lovely gift to treasure. Only twenty eight with ten years experience ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Belated birthday wishes! Looks like a fabulous birthday and weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  23. happy belated birthday! it sounds like a wonderful celebration, and that is indeed a fabulous picture!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A belated happy birthday and you are only as old as you feel. Lovely post and from that last pic, I think you may have a budding young artist in the family. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy belated Birthday! Thanks for sharing those lovely pictures with us. Bellas portrait is amazing. And I even think you don't look older than 27! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy birthday wishes.
    Sounds like a wonderful half term with lots of adventures near and far.
    Your present from Bella is beautiful and that cake flavour combination is very unusual, looks delish!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  27. It is rainy and grey this February day here...you may have inspired me to take a walk on the beach...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy Birth Week, Gillian. I'm glad your celebrations were variations of happy as were mine, although my birthday was Wednesday, not Saturday. Bella's family portrait is precious. Your youthful 38 is obvious through my 65 year old vision :) I am cheering you on to more happy days and years xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy birthday and that picture is fab! Definitely not a day over 28! 😉

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  30. A belated Happy Birthday Gillian. That cake looks incredibly scrummy. I am so desperate for cake at the moment, but I'm trying to be so good and cut it out, along with bread, which if I'm honest, totally sucks (my total downfall!). I love beach glass, but you are totally right...trying to search for it leads to a stiff neck and not enjoying the surroundings! Bella's portrait is utterly super.....and def not a day over 28!!!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  31. My birthday was the 21st :).
    Wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Belated happy birthday! You don't look a day over twenty eight - kids know nothing :-) And Bella' s drawing is fantastic. She's a great little artist. X

    ReplyDelete
  33. Happy birthday! I love your family portrait! x

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.