Tuesday 26 August 2014

My Embroidered Holiday Diary


My holiday diary, my drawing with stitches, is back from the framers! I have no idea where we'll hang it, but I'm happy just to have it propped on the mantelpiece and enjoy looking at it for now. 

I thought I'd show you how the project started, and then how it took shape over the holiday. It began when, having seen Jennie Maizels' holiday diary on Instagram, I thought I'd like to try one of my own, but I'd draw with thread rather than pens or pencils. It was all very last minute and spontaneous, and I didn't plan it much beyond selecting a piece of good quality white linen and working out that I'd want to draw an image per day, so seven in total. After sketching the text, I drew around a glass seven times to give me areas in which I'd put my pictures, mainly so that it wasn't all wonky.


This is a really terrible photo, I am sorry. I took it on my phone as my big camera must've been packed. 

So, armed with my piece of fabric and bag of embroidery threads, I was ready to start. I never knew what I was going to sew until the end of each day and in the evening I'd choose my image and draw it freehand onto the piece of white fabric with a fading ink pen*. It took shape slowly throughout the week. I've put together some collages below, showing the original inspiration in a photo, then the snap I took during week of the work in progress, and the final image on the right is the finished work.

Day 1: Our holiday home, rented for the week. It had such a symmetrical, pleasing shape, like a child's drawing of what a house should look like. Ok, my version is a little off, but I know what it represents and that's the main thing.


Day 2: Our day in St Ives (and a browse around the Poppy Treffry shop) inspired this fishing boat.


Day 3: A cream tea at Kynance Cove. I was relieved to note afterwards that I had drawn my cream tea the "right" way, ie the Cornish way, with jam first and cream second. In Devon it's the other way round, I believe. The tea didn't come in Cornishware mugs, sadly, but I felt there was room for some of that classic crockery in my picture.


Day 4: Godrevy Lighthouse.  How I loved doing all those little French knots for the grass, rocks and sea. They made me very happy.


Day 5: That really cheeky, tame seagull which stalked our fish and chips on the beach at Marazion. That was the only image I didn't draw free hand - I sketched it onto paper first then traced it. I'm not very good at animals or birds.



Day 6: A sandcastle, to represent our happy times at Gwithian beach. The little Cornish flag on top was an extra detail of mine. It seemed appropriate. The cross stiched flag could be neater, but that is my own fault for doing it in electric light, rather than waiting until the next day. I find I have no problem embroidering in electric light unless it's cross stitch and for that, I need daylight or I make mistakes.


 Day 7: An ice cream, eaten at Penzance on our last day. Honestly, we ate ice creams every day, some from tubs and some from cones. Salted caramel quickly became my favourite flavour but they were all very, very good indeed.


I finished it shortly after we came home. It was so hard to find the time to complete it once we were back to normality, and this was definitely a holiday project. Here it is before and after it saw the iron:


I ironed it very, very gently, so as not to flatten the stitches. You can still see some of the fading pen here. I opted to have it framed without the glass front. This is purely personal preference on my part, but I always think the reflections on the glass get in the way and I like the way you can see and touch the texture of the stitches. Like the satin stitch on the cream tea...


and the French knots around the light house.


I had in the back of my mind throughout this project the memory of these tea towels my Grandma used to collect and bring back from her holidays. They used to say things like "Wild Flowers of Jersey" or "Birds of Great Britain", that sort of thing. Informative and useful. Some would have a recipe for something like a scone on them. Something about my holiday project reminds me of the vintage design of those tea towels.


I'm really happy with how it turned out. No, I'm delighted. Every time I look at it I remember a different day, a different part of our holiday. It's nice, during this cold, wet, abrupt end to summer, to remember sun kissed afternoons on the beach and how deep-down happy the sound of seagulls makes me.

*****

*I used one similar to this. You can also buy pens which fade when ironed, but I don't like ironing too much on the embroidered parts of fabric in case it flattens the stitches.


65 comments:

  1. you are delighted because it's delicious! I really love it, that's such a beuatiful idea. If only I was able to stich I would do something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gillian, this is just beautiful. What a lovely idea. I had a fabulous holiday in Cornwall a few years ago, such a great place! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your embroidery is really lovely and so well done. You're right about getting the jam and cream the right way round - very important! You can get non-reflective glass when framing embroideries or tapestries (or anything I suppose). Or you could get a box frame so the stitching is not in contact with the glass at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous. I particularly like the lighthouse as I struggle to do French knots, so find that especially impressive! Such a lovely memento to have. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant! It will brighten up your days long into the winter! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so lovely Gillian... something to keep for ever. And I agree about the reflective qualities of glass. Framing it without is a good move, and I bet it was much easier to photograph too!
    Have you started a new tradition? They'd look great grouped together, all your holiday memories.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is really lovely, such a great way to remember your holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just fab! I wish I could buy yours, it's been beautifully done and it sums up Cornwall to me. I also think you've converted me to try embroidery! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a wonderful idea and so much better than a post card or holiday snap. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so lovely and such a good idea. I loved seeing your inspiration for each image and was really pleased you showed how you'd organised the composition - I'd been wondering how you'd done it! A wonderful way to capture your memories. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Magnificent. Such a personal reminder of your hols and so pretty too.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, that is so lovely and such a wonderful way to remember a great holiday. A very crafty young lady. After the beautiful sunshine this afternoon here in West Yorkshire, you are giving me ideas about our holiday, but 7 weeks worth may be just too much for a small embroidery. (giggle). Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this so much! Years and years ago when I was a teenager, I used to embroider, and I'm so inspired to try it again because of your project! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a thing of beauty Gillian. Imagine the amazing stitched memory collection you could have in a few years time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is absolutely amazing, what a lovely way to remember such a lovely holiday! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gillian! You have created a family treasure! Thanks for sharing your idea and showing some of how you executed it. [Being by the sea is my most favorite place in the world. Your stitching memories evoked my own good memories of being by the sea. Thanks again :-) ] xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Precious memories captured with home-made skill and imagination-perfect, you will love it today but your children will appreciate it way beyond.
    Thank you for sharing
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  18. hat a fabulous idea, thus bringing the memories of a fantastic holiday for indoors.
    You very creative and very good with your hands.
    have a great evening
    xoxo
    Lulu

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is just wonderful !!!
    I particularly love the lighthouse and the cheeky seagull with the chips...
    Good idea to frame it without glass !!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always wanted to be one of those people who filled sketchbooks with drawings and paintings that I on holiday.This embroidery is even better and looks fun. Sadly my needlework is worse than my drawing so I shall have to stick to buying a tea towel.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing, beautiful, stunning, wonderful, fantastic,... !!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks fantastic Gillian, loved reading the inspiration behind each memory. Did you purchase anything from Poppy Treffry? I've had my eye on a few things.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful Gillian and interesting to see how you composed it with the circles and so on. xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Really pretty, and with a variety of stitches. I never developed my needlecraft, I was all fingers and thumbs, and still am when it comes even to putting a button on - husband does that! - so I do admire your needlework.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  25. What an enchanting project Gillian and your embroidery is exquisite! So beautiful and so evocative of the experiences you describe. I'm with you on deciding against glass - it looks so wonderfully tactile! enjoy all the sunny memories this treasure holds in this rainy grey week! E x

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's beautiful and looks like a lot of intricate work, especially those french knots on the lighthouse. I think you're brave going without glass. I'm sure it will be much nicer. I wish I could, but things fade too much in my house so we use the UV glass.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the cream tea and the lighthouse, Gillian and the French knots would've been squashed under glass.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Gillian, it's absolutely wonderful. I love all of the textures, and beautiful stitching. It's ages (really, ages) since i did any embroidery, but you've made me think I'd like to try it again. I didn't know about the difference in Devon cream teas. Jam on top of cream, it's madness. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. This collage is beautiful Gillian. You are right to frame it without glass front. I have an embroidery framed with glass and even though it is a special type of glass, it looses some of its beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's fantastic! A really lovely holiday reminder. I'd love to be able to make something like this, but I'm not a creative type and I can't sew or draw! I just take millions of photos and collect 'treasures' instead :)

    I love the set of collages which show the inspiration for each day - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wowee that's stunning, such a gorgeous idea, I absolutely love it. What a great way to remember a holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just beautiful, and I could imagine it as a tea towel too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful and what a lovely way to remember your holiday. You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  34. It is a beautiful thing! I love the idea and the final look, I seriously doubt I'd ever have time to make one of my own though, especially for a slow embroiderer like me. Slightly in awe over here!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful Gillian. I loved watching this come together day by day on IG. What a fantastic project and a wonderful keepsake. x

    ReplyDelete
  36. It looks fabulous! What a wonderful idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I thought it was amazing when you started this and its even more amazing now it's finished.
    I have a drawer with a pile of tea towels courtesy of my mother in law, they've never been used because I don't want to spoil them. Occasionally now, after many years, i'll use them to cover things i've baked and are waiting to cool in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is so beautiful! You are so very clever & creative. Thank you for sharing - your blog brings me much happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to add... thanks too for the "House of Cards" recommendation. We started watching it after I read about it here & have been absolutely addicted! Finished the second series last night but no idea how we'll bear the wait for series 3!
      Jo x

      Delete
    2. Thank you! So glad you liked House of Cards. x

      Delete
  39. Gillian, it's just FABULOUS,
    and a lovely reminder of a smashing holiday, nice one,(i'm counting down now, 5 weeks and we're in Port Isaac, Bliss)
    Thank You for sharing
    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  40. Gillian,
    I´m impressed with your gorgeous work! it´s so neat and vivid! I love specially the French knots! :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh Gillian you clever creative lady, it's lovely and what a wonderful way to remember your holiday. Love all the textures, especially those little French knots. Enjoy the rest of the week.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Gillian,
    This is amazing!!! I've never seen anything like this before. I love the whole idea, the concept, and how you went about it to execute it. Thanks for all the explanations, it really adds something! This will be a treasured keepsake, I'm sure! You could tell a whole story in a book like that... just lovely!!!! I love it that you got your very own style and originality!
    PS: I got one of Poppy Treffry's books, I love her work (and sewing is not even my favourite craft, hehe!)
    Greetings from Belgium,
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wow that is beautiful - you are very talented. I would love to learn embroidery - you have inspired me to try. Thank you for all the beautiful pictures, they are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Absolutely stunning. I am very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love the final piece and the process photos. You have really captured the feel of a cornish holiday

    ReplyDelete
  46. Gillian what a beautiful piece! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Suh a lovely reminder of a beautiful holiday. You should be very happy with it. I love embroidery but haven't done any for years! I haven't enough spare time to contemplate it during every day life, but I might think about it nearer Christmas when I need a relaxing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  48. this is just a great way to hold memories ,well don e you its lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  49. And delighted you should be as it is gorgeous. It is a great idea and you captured the Cornish feel very well. Thanks for the inspiration! Pati x

    ReplyDelete
  50. I LOVE your holiday diary - both the result and the memories it captures. Lovely blog post as well!

    ReplyDelete
  51. It's absolutely beautiful Gillian! Something to treasure forever.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  52. It is a brilliant way to capture your holiday memories, it looks fantastic. It was interesting reading about the process of making it.

    ReplyDelete
  53. How utterly amazing is that? I love it and I think it is a brilliant idea with a great composition. I want one for the cabin now like this concept. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  54. How utterly amazing is that? I want to use that concept now to make one for the cabin using your other idea of the seasons. Oh no! idea overload. aghhhh! Thank you for all your kind comments on my blog, You were very kind and thorough, I was amazed that you had the time, I was really bowled over. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  55. It's fabulous Gillian! You're so clever; the embroideries are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  56. I absolutely love this Gillian, fab! And yes, I can see the tea towel inspiration. It will be wonderful to look back on a whole collection of these over the years! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  57. Gillian, I'm a little late to the comments party due to holidays etc, but I had to say - this is just beautiful; absolutely stunning! I love the step by step insight into how you approached it and how it grew too…you're so talented. A family heirloom in the making, I think! Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  58. Lovely, lovely, lovely and so well done Gillian! What a precious heirloom.

    ReplyDelete
  59. As I have already mentioned on IG I really love this idea and I love the way that it turned out. I know I would smile every time I walked past it and I think you will need to carry on the tradition. I am so tempted to make one for our holiday in italy, but honestly my stitching is not as good as yours and certainly not as quick. It must have taken you ages to do it. You really are one very talented goddess my dear!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  60. It's remarkable in favor of me to have a site, which is good in support of
    my knowledge. thanks admin

    My web blog :: wild hair utilizing - ,

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.