Tuesday 4 February 2020

Winter Comforts


Despite the mild, wet days and shy spring bulbs peeking up here and there, the wind today felt resolutely wintry. And, while I did not enjoy that hour spent on our school's very exposed playground today, or the dog walks I've done after work in the wind and rain, I do really enjoy winter. I like the opportunity for nesting and hibernation, I like going to the beach when it's bright and blustery, I like the time spent indoors pottering around quietly. I also like the time it gives me to pause and make plans for the coming year; I have arranged a day in London in May with old NCT friends from Leeds, a weekend away in June for John's birthday, and there's more in the offing. I feel like this is the time of year when I catch up with myself a bit and I do appreciate it.


I like it when Seville oranges are in the shops and I can make marmalade. These golden jars have been sitting on my kitchen windowsill for over a week but I keep putting off moving them to the cupboard because the sight of them lined up there, glowing in the light, makes me so happy.


I like buying clementines with the leaves still attached.


I like using some of the marmalade in a cake. It's a Nigel Slater recipe, from the first Kitchen Diaries book, and I look forward to making it every year. This one sunk a little on cooling and the icing drizzled down into the cake, making it so moist and sweet. 


I like getting outside as much as possible and timing a dog walk to the local fields with sunset, watching the sky change by the minute.


I like looking at the sunrise while I make my morning cup of tea.


I like warming up with hot chocolate from a thermos on a walk. Even better when I pack the squirty cream and marshmallows too.


I like it when potted bulbs start appearing in the supermarkets. I bring them home and re-pot them in bowls and dot them around the house.


I like buying bunches of daffodils for £1 and popping them in a jug. I always think they look like paintbrushes before they open.


I like finding the kids with their head in a book.


I like crocheting woolly jumpers and the smell of daffodils.

20 comments:

  1. All sounds good to me also. Your jumper looks so good, I'm crocheting a cardigan on the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or: at the moment? My english is not that good, as I'm dutch.

      Delete
  2. Crocheting a jumper.Very impressed.Love the children with their noses in books.Great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a new follower of your blog and can't wait to spend time catching up on older posts.
    So good to see children reading rather than with their eyes glued to a phone. Love your re-potted bulbs - which reminds me to buy some for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a hell of a lot to like in your part of the world. The jumper is looking good. I have finished a quilt so February feels quite productive here too.
    https://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those first £1 bunches of daffs always make me smile. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't sunrises and sunsets really beautiful right now? As the year moves towards spring and summer, I get to see less and less sunrises, as I am not a very early riser most days, but right now, I love the view from my kitchen window when I go in there first thing in the morning to make myself a mug of coffee.
    I love it that Bella is reading "Little Women" - I enjoyed it a lot when I read it many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's an interesting way you prepare your oranges.Could you elaborate?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the bareness of the winter and the excuse it seems to give us to do what we want to do and hibernate/get out only when we feel like it. I had hoped that winter would mean get back into a routine and on top of life again but I've yet to feel sorted out as what with all sorts of cold and bugs and norovirus back in December, I've felt rotten and tired. I could sleep for a week! But husband is having a day off on Friday which means a long weekend and an extra bit of help with a busy almost three year old, so I'm hopeful. He's not had a day off in over two years that has not been related to holidays/Christmas/going out somewhere so it's a real treat I've been waiting a very long time for! I hope Bella enjoys Little Women, it's one of my favourites! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. It would be great to prepare that marmelade! Can you give us the recipe, please?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Gillian, what a most marvelous and inspirational post. Thank you for sharing your life with us once again. Just a big sigh and a reminder of how lovely each day can be if we just look and find it..............in such little wonderful ways. You are a dear lady and I always look forward to seeing your Happy House, whatever it brings (-: and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Long time reader but first time commenting. I'm smiling at the picture of your daughter reading at the table. Must be the angle that you took the picture from because the book looks like it's bigger than War and Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I make that cake every January... after I’ve made my marmalade!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the daffodils/paintbrushes image.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely positive post! I'm working through my first year without my husband and trying to discover who I am now. I'm making plans for regular activities through the year and enjoying the little things. Hot chocolate on a winter walk is such a comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the picture of Ziggy playing with other dogs at the beach!

    And seeing the daffodils as paint brushes makes me like them - I've had a difficult time accepting these bouquets without leaves.

    Winter is such a great time for cooking, baking, knitting etc. Last weekend I found myself gardening instead because of the incredibly mild winter we have. So yes, please, let's have a bit of real winter for baking, sewing and frostery walks with the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We had a pink sunset on the Norfolk/Suffolk border last night, drawn to my attention by my grandson aged 3.5 years "Look Grandma the sky has turned pink!"
    I really hope Amy loves Little Women and let her know that Good Wives is even better!
    Best wishes to you all, I love all of your blogs xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the look of marmalade in the Winter sunshine too, I spend far too long with the unlabelled jars dotted around the kitchen catching the rays before I finally cave in and label them and put them into the jam cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the cosiness of winter time too...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like a lot of what you like. I love the nesting time in Winter when I have to stay in. It's a time when I get a lot of quilting done because once Spring gets here, I am outdoors most of the time in the garden. I love the cosiness, too.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.