Sunday 16 February 2020

A Whisper of Spring


The weather continues to be vile with another big storm annoyingly coinciding with a weekend and I'm finding it all a bit depressing to be honest, the wind and rain and low light levels. We were supposed to be going to London yesterday. We'd planned to visit HMS Belfast, go up The Shard, walk along the embankment, but none of those activities seemed very appealing in gale force winds and torrential rain. We went out for breakfast instead, a start of half term treat, and spent the rest of the day hibernating, baking and eating cake. 


My feeling of gloom has been compounded by illness; I've been unwell with some kind of virus over the last week or so and have spent a lot time on the sofa, watching old episodes of Silent Witness and sleeping a lot. Always the world's worst patient, I keep going until I can't any more and then sulk on the sofa in bad grace, annoyed with myself and whatever virus or cold I've caught and life in general. My lovely mum and dad came to the rescue, walking the dog, ferrying children here and there, bringing me tulips and magazines. I didn't really have the energy or concentration to crochet much but I made up for that by buying yarn online. I kept trying to work on my trio blanket but was getting in such a muddle with the pattern, so I unravelled the whole lot and made a swatch, just so I could visualise it.


It's a bit messy but you get the gist. I wanted to work on my Sensum sweater but ran out of yarn, so while that was on order I worked a little more on my cowl and dreamt about crocheting some pretty wrist warmers.


But I am definitely spotting more and more glimpses of spring out there, and am taking heart from it. 


I'm seeing snow drops on my dog walks, blossom on the cherry tree in the garden, daffodils and tete-a-tetes popping up here and there in the flowerbeds and pots. It's noticeably lighter in the evening and apparently the sun has shone occasionally this week - I have evidence.


Dreaming of better weather, I've been buying seeds. I must remember to actually plant them - a job for a dry day over half term.


We've been lighting the fire even when it's not that cold outside, just to dispel the feeling of damp gloominess.


Spring flowers always help.


The seasons are shifting in the kitchen too, as I find myself drawn to brighter colours and flavours.


I've been cooking lots of early forced rhubarb, stewing it to eat with yogurt or porridge, or turning it into a crumble with apples, as I will be tonight. It must be something to do with trying to banish the gloom.


It has rained steadily all day here and shows no sign of stopping. The kids are watching a Star Wars film. John and I will both try to avoid taking the dog out, not that Ziggy is showing much signs of wanting a walk today. 


I might bake biscuits, or read, or crochet. I am currently loving Death Comes to Pemberley - Jane Austen combined with crime fiction - how has this sat unread on my shelf for so long?! I will try to embrace the rubbish weather and enjoy being cosy, because I'll soon be outside and busy in the garden again, trying to keep up with it all.

18 comments:

  1. I have been reading about those fierce storms in the UK. Sounds treacherous. We're having lovely weather here in Northern California. Not to make you feel bad but it is quite nice. Temperatures in the mid 60's and sunshine. We really do need the rain but I'm glad for the sunshine now.!! BTW, I love the idea of putting bulbs in a catherine holm bowl.!! i do hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you've been unwell Gillian, I hope you're back to full strength very soon. The new purple crochet is really pretty. And Ziggy looks utterly blissful on the bed in the sunshine. Bertie pretends he's asleep if it's raining and it looks like people might be about to suggest a walk. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Signs of spring are always life-saving in mid-February! Thank you for sharing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to read you've been unwell and I hope you feel much more rested after a week at home. I'm also just beginning to feel better after succumbing to the usual winter viruses - occupational hazard :)
    It's reassuring to see some early signs of spring. I noticed some wild garlic shoots in the woods today. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear you've been under the weather in more than one sense. Hopefully, that virus will leave for good very soon, and you'll recover your former strength.
    When I read your headline, "A Whisper of Spring", I was answering in my mind "It was more like a Shout of Spring in my area this past weekend!"
    On Sunday, we've had almost 20 Celsius - it is still the middle of February, I have to remind myself. There are primroses, crocus and snowdrops as well as winter jasmine out in people's gardens, and I don't think the hellebores have been so abundant ever before. No cherry blossoms yet, and I hope they remain in waiting so that any frost or icy rain hits them that could very well still be in store for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Get better quickly. The Trio Blanket looks rather perplexing! Maybe go back to it with a clearer mind. Loving your candlesticks. Sunny here today but was blowing a hoolie last night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Get well soon. Love those tiny trees on your mantle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oi, the flu. Lots of flu around me too. Take care. And are we ready for spring! Oh yes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved your choice of sweet peas . One of my very favourite annuals to plant for the summer ,as I notice you love fragrance , is Zalazianskya Capensis . This is Night Phlox.....Midnight Candy.
    It has a small white flower that's quite sweet but not as showy as the mighty sweet pea . However go out into your garden at night and the fragrance is just wow ! And if I can grow them in my northern garden ( 6 miles inland from the Glass Beach ) it will love your area..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry you’ve been poorly, there’s so many viruses about at the moment! Ziggy looks super comfy on the bed, he really is handsome dog :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post Gillian & sorry to hear you've been unwell. Hope you are a lot better by now. I've not been on the blog scene too much, due to few technical hitches & miss reading my usuals, but hopefully I'll be around more from now on. Look forward to seeing your craft projects come to fruition. Nice rhubarb!! I need to make some blueberry jam (18kgs picked this summer) & have found it hard to get lemons due to a shortage here, but got some today. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear you're getting over the bug. Very impressed that you have energy to do anything much with wool while laid low. I'm enjoying your spring flowers - not much sign here apart from snowdrops. There is real snow on the hills all around. This is truly not fault finding, but seeing a few floppy daffodil leaves and hyacinth flowers - the curse of the indoor bulb - one free! thing I've found really useful as a support is the dry stems of last year's lemon balm from the garden. If you don't cut down the dead stems in autumn they will stand stiff and dry throughout the worst winter weather, and then in spring you can cut some and use them to prop up indoor bulb leaves and flowers. They're quite pretty in their own right - I will send you some photos via IG. Then of course in summer you have a lovely bushy green plant with wee white flowers which the bees love, and it make a herb tea - or just crushing some leaves in a bowl gives a fresh lemony scent in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do hope you are much better... and yes, while the gloomy days are slightly tiresome now (love using that word!) I am enjoying the perfect excuse to stay cosy inside

    ReplyDelete
  14. Get A Blank ATM CARD And Cash Good Money/Funds Pay Your Debt directly today in any ATM machine around you anywhere in the world. It's 100% guaranteed secure with no worries of being caught because the blank card it's already programmed and loaded with good funds in it, in such a way that's not traceable which also have a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTV to detect you, i am not a stupid man that i will come out to the public and start saying what someone have not done. For more info contact Mr john and also on how you are going to get your Card, Order yours today via Email: cryptoatmhacker@gmail.com

    WhatsApp contact: +27733798090

    ReplyDelete
  15. Get A Blank ATM CARD And Cash Good Money/Funds Pay Your Debt directly today in any ATM machine around you anywhere in the world. It's 100% guaranteed secure with no worries of being caught because the blank card it's already programmed and loaded with good funds in it, in such a way that's not traceable which also have a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTV to detect you, i am not a stupid man that i will come out to the public and start saying what someone have not done. For more info contact Mr john and also on how you are going to get your Card, Order yours today via Email: cryptoatmhacker@gmail.com

    WhatsApp contact: +27733798090

    ReplyDelete
  16. You should see how my buddy Wesley Virgin's adventure begins in this SHOCKING AND CONTROVERSIAL VIDEO.

    You see, Wesley was in the military-and soon after leaving-he found hidden, "self mind control" tactics that the government and others used to obtain anything they want.

    These are the exact same methods lots of celebrities (notably those who "come out of nowhere") and top business people used to become wealthy and famous.

    You probably know how you use only 10% of your brain.

    That's really because most of your BRAINPOWER is UNCONSCIOUS.

    Maybe this thought has even occurred IN YOUR own head... as it did in my good friend Wesley Virgin's head around 7 years back, while driving a non-registered, garbage bucket of a car with a suspended license and with $3.20 on his banking card.

    "I'm very fed up with going through life check to check! When will I finally succeed?"

    You've taken part in those types of conversations, isn't it right?

    Your very own success story is going to start. Go and take a leap of faith in YOURSELF.

    Learn How To Become A MILLIONAIRE Fast

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.