Monday 3 June 2019

Monday News Flash


:: We had a lovely time on Saturday celebrating John's birthday. When asked what he wanted to do, he said he just wanted to chill, so that is what we did. 


We pottered around the house, went for a walk, ate ice creams, and went out for dinner to a burger place in Portsmouth, 7 Bone. 


We came home for the birthday cake, a stack of peppermint Oreo chocolate brownies.


:: Decorating the downstairs spare room/Bella's new bedroom has ground to a temporary halt but that's ok. The worst, the dustiest, jobs are done and all that we need to do is paint. We are just waiting for an electrician to come round and move a light switch for us, then we can start. 


 :: I've barely touched the garden this year but it's looking surprisingly alright. Ok, the borders are a little untidy, and we really need some rain, but it's all ticking over quite nicely out there. Finally the borders, which have only been there since we moved in four years ago, are starting to fill out a little and look more established.


 :: It looks like we'll have a decent amount of redcurrants and blackcurrants this year, if I can beat the birds to them.


 :: The succulent planter on the outside table is looking good and I've done absolutely nothing to it. Perhaps they really do thrive on neglect.


:: I made my first sourdough loaf on Sunday, following this excellent tutorial. I began the starter mixture the week before, dutifully discarding and feeding every day, watching the bubbles begin to pop on the surface. So satisfying. I have so much to learn, but a big appetite for both eating sourdough (it's our favourite bread in this house, we can eat a loaf in a day easily) and learning how to make it better. This loaf was with white flour, and I put way too much on top, so it's very pale looking, but I want to add wholemeal and rye flour, to darken both the colour and flavour.


:: We have become a little obsessed with this Anna Jones pasta recipe over recent weeks, cooking it at least once a week. I've never tried cooking pasta this way, all in with the vegetables, water and oil. but it's a revelation. Even the children ate it. 

:: It was back to work today, and that was OK. I like my job, I like that I don't dread going to work. My colleagues are so nice, it makes the biggest difference. 

:: After not thinking we could afford it this year, we are now very tentatively thinking about booking a break during the six week summer holidays, and are torn between finding a bargain now, or booking something at the very last minute. I like the idea of leaving it until the last moment, but then that takes away the thing that - for me, anyway - is the best part of going on holiday: the anticipation. The looking forward to going, counting down the days, researching the local area, planning what you'll do when you're there. Are you going anywhere this summer, and if so, where? Any ideas of inspiration, in the UK or Europe, are much appreciated. 


19 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to John, glad you all enjoyed the day. Lovely photos, especially love seeing the local ones. We've just been away camping and probably won't go away again this year. I think our garden could really do with some attention and maybe we'll have some days out walking. I love the birthday cake, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh was it four years ago when you dug the skinny border and I was sat at home trying to work out how to make a comment that said double the size of it without hurting your feelings! I am glad it is looking good, ours is pretty good this year with very little effort too. I love going to Wells-next-the-sea in Norfolk btw. Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes I remember that! You were right of course. :-)

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday (belated) John & glad you had a chilled out day. Our holidays are getting closer too, but I'm not saying much at the moment. Your garden is looking nice, even though you lead such busy lives. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you had a lovely birthday day and good weather too. It is always a bit of a balancing act I find if you try and decorate during the summer months as the garden and going out to enjoy the weather are always beckoning. Love your little pot of succulents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a lovely family and the birthday sounds perfect. I'm inspired to try a succulent planter, do you leave it out all winter? As for summer, I plan to walk out the door and down to the beach every day.

    lizzy at gone to the beach.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's still alive by next autumn then yes I will try leaving it out for the winter and see what happens....

      Delete
  6. Belated happy birthday to John! Those beer bottles look pretty, although "pretty" is probably not what a grown-up man wants to have as a present. My partner does not like it when I say he is "sweet", he says "a 50-year-old man is not sweet" :-D (but he is!!)
    Anyway, lovely post and great photos, as always. Your currants remind me of the cherries on my tree. They seem to have grown quite a bit during the bast week of summery heat, and there is more to come; we're up to 32C these days.
    No summer vacation for me this year, as I have already had my annual Yorkshire Holiday in March, the hiking holiday in South Tyrol in May and there is another holiday (still undecided about location) in September.
    Travelling back and forth between Berlin and Munich these days for work and of course my place and O.K.'s on the weekends, that's many hours spent on trains, so I am longing for NOT travelling for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The littlest boy and I have somehow persuaded the rest of the fam to go to our beloved North Wales again this year. I am hoping it lives up to expectations. We are already enjoying the anticipation. Mountains, sea, that little bistro where you can get a really good ice-cream to eat while watching the sun set over the water, you know how it is. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. North Devon is our favourite place in the UK for a summer break - we're going again this year. The third time since 2015! You can't beat Woolacombe Beach - it's rated 13th in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Красивые фотографии, я просто засмотрелась )))

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have just spent the loveliest week in Deal, on the Kent coast. Stayed in a gorgeous, amazingly cheap Airbnb, joined English Heritage and spent our days visiting castles (Deal, Dover, Walmer plus the Roman fort at Richborough), and enjoying being by the sea - the pebbly beach and pier at Deal are great, and there are some great places to eat and lovely shops at the old town end of the high street. Highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your New Zealand manuka bush is looking beautiful in the border! Such a pretty pink one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well , if you are not coming to Dorset which of course, as a native, I consider the most wonderful place ever, coastal walks, castles, hill forts, fossils and great food, then I agree with above poster, Deal in Kent is nearly as good, Castles, level walks, good eateries, and great Beach combing. Food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your photos are so lovely - beautifully composed and the way the colours in one lead on into the next is very harmonious. Really at the moment I come to your blog to gaze at non-rainy scenes. We have been under a cloud and heavy rain up here in northern Scotland for weeks now - can't even see the bottom of the hills today. Nothing is pulling away in the garden and my brassicas are still waiting to be planted. (And don't mention the sweet peas - how are yours doing?). So I will continue to gaze at your sunny scenes!
    I should of course recommend Scotland for a holiday but given what I've just said about the weather this year...How about doing a home exchange? We did that when our 2 were young, and had amazing holidays including 3 weeks in LA. You only pay for your travel and food, and sometimes you agree to include your car in the agreement for getting around locally.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely birthday celebrations... though (as ever when I read your blog) I now need a brownie. While another week or two holiday would have been lovely, I too have enjoyed going back to work. Lovely colleagues really do help, don't they?! A lucky duck that we live in Suffolk, where many choose to come for their holidays, so some years we stay local. Though this year we are going to Nice...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you! I have an Olympus Pen EPL8.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.