Monday 17 June 2019

A Crocheted Basket for Yarn


It's been a while, but I have a finished crochet project to show you: the Monroe Belly Basket, designed by Lakeside Loops. The pattern involves crocheting cotton yarn over and around two strands of chunky cream yarn, to create a really thick, sturdy texture. It's much easier than it looks and sounds, but you just have to keep remembering to pull the strands of chunky yarn nice and straight every now and then to keep a nice, even tension. It's a clear pattern, well written and all went to plan until I realised about half way through that there was absolutely no way this basket was going to stand upright on it's own. It flops here and there and, unstuffed, crumples into a heap on the floor. I'd say it's more of a bag. 


The only thing I can think of is that the chunky yarn I used wasn't quite chunky enough, and it didn't provide the structure to the walls of the basket that it should have. 


Luckily it's not a problem. Shore up those floppy sides with, ooh I don't know, lots of balls of yarn, and it's a beautiful thing. Of course you don't have to keep yarn in it - soft toys, throws, fabric would work too - but it has to be something that will keep those floppy walls well and truly propped up. Luckily we have all of the above in plentiful supply in this house. 

(It's almost like I planned it on purpose to keep a large stock of yarn in the house, which of course I would never do....)


To those of your asking where my new raincoat and the bedding came from - they were both from John Lewis. I've updated my previous post with the links. 

After what feels like weeks of unending rain, the sun shone this afternoon and it was briefly glorious. But it's school Sports Day on Wednesday which means it's bound to start raining again. The electrician came today to do some stuff (technical term) with light switches in Bella's new bedroom, so we can hopefully paint the room this coming weekend. And then the fun begins - moving furniture, hanging curtains and pictures, making the space feel like hers. I wonder if she wants a basket?

Yarn Details:

I used Drops Paris cotton yarn in Dark Beige and Off White for the main basket, wrapped around two strands of Drops Eskimo in Off White, all with a 5 mm hook. 


13 comments:

  1. What a beautiful basket! It really suits my taste perfectly. Unfortunately, I can't have anything like that in my home due to five cats with five sets of claws. They like to sharpen them on woven baskets also. But it is so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful way to store yarn (or other things) and I suspect it won't be empty and flopping anytime soon!
    Getting to work properly on Bella's room must be rather exciting. Where does she sleep meanwhile?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The crochet basket for your wool looks like a great idea and very visually pleasing too.
    Regards Kathy A, Bribane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen similar baskets on sale in shops but even with thicker yarn they are still floppy - but I love the way you have overcome the floppiness to accommodate your yarn stash and it looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your baskets the colours go so well together don't they and it makes perfect storage for your yarn too.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could line it, inserting a ring of heavy duty interfacing between the basket and the lining. But then you'd lose the squishyness! Lovely colours. What yarn did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is another excellent idea, thank you. Sorry, I totally forgot to mention the yarn - I used Drops Paris cotton yarn in Dark Beige and Off White for the basket, wrapping is around two strands of Drops Eskimo is Off White.

      Delete
  7. Love the basket, and the perfect justification to hoard piles of yarn! We should have had an athletics tournament this afternoon for the older children, but you know - rain. Sigh. Did you manage sports day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, got rained off. Postponed for a fortnight's time....

      Delete
  8. It does look a nice basket, would laundry starch help? Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I once stiffened a crocheted sun hat with watered down PVA glue. It looked shocking when I did it but it dried clear and was really good. You wouldn't want to spoil the outside of your basket though. My crochet is pretty sloppy at the best of times so I would have to go down a few hook sizes to get it to a firm fabric - just keep it full!!! Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.