Sunday 30 September 2018

Making the Seasons: September


Two clothing posts in a row! Most unlike me, but all house pottering and crafting is on hold while the endless home renovations continue. We now have new flooring in the hall and living room and it's looking fabulous, I will show you soon. But enough of that, welcome to September's Making the Seasons post. As always with these posts, I am trying to make a little time and space in a busy life for some kind of crafting. It can be anything and if you look at my Making the Seasons label on the right hand side of my blog you can see the other things I've done over the last ten months, but this month was sewing.


I don't know whether it was the recent Frida Kahlo effect, with all those floral headbands I kept seeing everywhere, or just summer, but for the last few months I have really wanted to cover a plain white shirt with some fabulously over the top, Mexican style embroidery. You know the sort of thing, huge flowers and lush green leaves, heavy with satin stitch. I even bought a couple of lovely tops - a large cotton shirt from Gap and a gorgeous silk blouse in the sale at The White Company - but couldn't settle on a design or find the time for that amount of time-consuming stitching.


And then I remembered applique, something I used to do a lot when the children were younger, brightening up a plain supermarket t-shirt or bag with some fabric and thread. It's a quick way to achieve the same effect of colour and shape without hours of careful hand sewing. So I dusted off my Bondaweb (fusible interfacing) and found some linen and felt scraps, and just cut out a few shapes, arranging them on the t-shirt as I went. The top I used is a plain striped long-sleeved t-shirt from Gap, a shop I like a lot because their clothes seem to fit my body shape well and they always wash well and last a long time. 


It took an hour to cut and iron on the petals and leaves, and then I spent maybe an hour each night this week securing the fabric to the t-shirt with stitches around the edge, then adding a little embellishment and extra detail. The fusible interfacing secures the fabric for a little while, but you need the stitching to make sure it's really going to last. I like how it came out, especially the way it looks a bit like a necklace, and the colours are summery but faded, a nice crossover into autumn. It was a fun project and a welcome distraction from endless decorating, and a seasonal end-of-summer thing to create, although I'm afraid I've packed away my Saltwaters for another year and dusted off my boots. 

Next month, the last one in this Making the Season's project I'm sharing with my friend Lucy at Attic24, I am planning on learning a totally new skill and trying my hand a something I've never done before: weaving on a small loom. I am very excited! But for now, please pop over to Lucy's beautiful, colourful blog and read her September post. She's been extremely busy with Yarndale so I am amazed that she has had time to do anything else. 

11 comments:

  1. You are on a roll Gillian, it looks fabulous. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have worn and washed my white Next top with the bold bright embroidery - bought it last year but for some reason I wore it much more this year. You will like yours even more for customising it yourself - it looks really great on you and you take a lovely picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really pretty and unique. It looks so nice on you too, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks fantastic! There must be something in the water because I embroidered a pink long sleeved tee earlier this summer. Your idea of using applique to speed it up is really clever. Hope all's going well on the decorating front and that the finish line is in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I have been following your blog for a few time and I really like it. Thanks for sharing all those nice ideas.
    Your tee-shirt is beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful! Thanks for sharing all those nice ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful idea... Still to pack away my Saltwaters, though I haven't actually worn them for a while! Maybe it is time...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful difference the embellishing has made ! its a unique piece now :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. whoah this blog is great i really like reading your articles. Stay up the good work! You understand, a lot of people are hunting round for this information, you could help them greatly.
    D2bet

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.