Sunday 23 September 2018

I Made a Dress


It's true, I really did make an actual dress! You all know that machine sewing has never been my passion or my forte, but with some patience, a lot of swearing, and a lot of help from YouTube and kind people on Instagram, I made a dress that is not only wearable but actually rather lovely. I can't quite believe it and this is another post, like the knitted jumper, that I didn't think I'd get around to writing. I'm so pleased.


The pattern is the Camber dress from Merchant and Mills and I would definitely recommend it as a beginner pattern. It's a simple shift dress, for which you need to add darts at the bust, sew bias binding around the neck and sleeves, make a yoke for the back and insert the sleeves, unless you want a sleeveless shift which, now I come to think about it, would be very nice for the summer. 


All of these were new to me and I learned so much just from sewing this one dress. My darts didn't sit right to begin with (pointy boobs!) but after unpicking, re-sewing and pressing well with a DIY tailor's ham (a damp tea towel filled with rice) they were salvaged.


I didn't find the yoke across the shoulders overly troubling and I went very slowly and carefully with the stitching on the bias binding as I find stitching on a curve really tricky.


Inserting the sleeves was fiddly but I found a couple of really good tutorials online and followed them. The pattern directions are clear but scant, and as a total beginner I needed more detail so thank goodness for Youtube. 

I decided at the last minute to add pockets, simply by sewing two squares onto the front of the dress. I love pockets in a dress or skirt, they are so useful. 


A more skilled dressmaker would no doubt have inserted pockets along the side seam of the dress but this was a step too far for me and I like them as a bold feature on the front. 

I found the pattern a little on the loose side but I haven't washed it yet so it may shrink a little. I will probably wear this dress with a belt, or you could make a nice matching sash/tie from leftover fabric. I chose a linen fabric which is gorgeous, and I love the way it creases, but it's heavier when worn than it feels when handled in the shop, if that makes sense, so it's an autumn and winter dress. 

The day Bella took the photos below I wore it to work with leggings, sandals and a cardigan, but when it's colder I'll wear it over a thin black roll neck jumper with tights and boots. It's very versatile. 


Apologies for the graininess of these pictures; Bella took them on my phone in her bedroom at about 7.30 one morning before we left for school and work. 

But I absolutely love it and am definitely going to make another. I am currently thinking about a patterned fabric, although the thought of pattern matching makes me nervous, or perhaps one in grey linen with contrasting bias binding and pockets in a bold colour like mustard yellow or raspberry pink. I don't know but I'm going to have fun thinking about it. 




24 comments:

  1. I really love the dress you made, it looks so good on you! Love the color too. With a lot of patience and swearing, I totally understand that! Well done you, I can't sew a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! You did a great job with it and it looks very nice on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful. I actually have this pattern, but haven't got around to making it yet. Thanks for the tips. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great dress and definitely benefits from the pockets! It suits you really well, also in its loose-fitting state. Don't you just love such a versatile piece of clothing? As for the idea of making a grey one with accents in mustard yellow or raspberry pink - yes, please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great on you, and you've done a really neat job. Isn't making your own clothes hugely satisfying? Looking forward to seeing what you make next! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done! It looks very good on you and linen is so nice to wear. Finishing a wearable garment is very satisfying, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that looks gorgeous on you, you really suit the style and colour.

    Adding the patch pockets to the front was a really good idea, even if you could do inset ones I never like the way they add bulk to the side of a dress, and cause added problems when ironing in future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The style and colour of your dress are lovely. I have been learning to sew too and I can't count the number of times YouTube tutorials have saved me! They are great when learning new techniques. I think you've made yourself a really versatile dress. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dress is beautiful and I love the colour!

    I have the fabric ready to make a simple tunic style dress-with pockets ready to go.

    I love Merchant and Mills patters, classic and simple and just so wearable.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, how I wish I could sew! My mother was a tailoress and could make almost anything. She made all my dresses and coats and trousers for my dad and son. Even tailored blazers. She loved to be on piece work as she could really earn good money even if some of the other sewers were a bit jealous. After she tried to retire they asked her to come back a couple of days and teach sewing. Then she tried to teach me . . . oh what a disaster, I was positively frightened of the sewing machine, and could not even thread it. She eventually gave up and taught my daughter, who is very good at most aspects of sewing. I can knit fairly well but I love your dress, and would love to be able to sew it myself. You look fabulous in it and your idea of a grey one is spot on. Keep at it and I shall admire you from afar. Love Andie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah I knew you could do it. It is a lovely fabric and colour. Pattern matching is kind of fun if you don't get too antsy about it. Wear it with pride. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is fab, love the colour. Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's absolutely lovely Gillian, clever you. There will be no stopping you now I think! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely dress! I would not of known that you are not an experienced sewer if you had not mentioned it. The stitching on the bias around the neck is spot on! It looks lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done not only is it beautifully made it really suits you.
    There is a knack to doing darts and settng in sleeves etc for them to lie well and paper patterns don't tell you how to do them properly - I would have to send you a drawing so email me if you ever need advice - pattern cutting, sewing and tailoring were part of my Fashion and Textile course - we would have been marked down for poor darts or lumpy sleeve heads - I often see wedding dresses on people with those pointy darts - really spoils it for me and I want to go and adjust them!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. PS Just to say I think you have done your darts and sleeves extremely well- when I reread my comment above I was worried you might think I was passing a comment on your dress - I had just noted your comments on the difficulties you had come across making it! I actually meant if you had any problems in future with any other fabric or patterns, as all fabrics behave differently, I might be able to provide some advice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely dress, a classic style that you can wear a lot. I would love to get a result like this from my sewing machine, well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful dress and I love the color! It looks fabulous on you. It looks like a dress from Boden. Way to go, Gillian!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks gorgeous! Making clothes is so much fun... Have fun planning the next one

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's impressive! Not just the finished result, but the perseverance.... It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.