Friday 30 March 2018

Making the Seasons: March


Hello! Welcome to my Making the Seasons post for March. In this annual project, my friend Lucy of Attic24 and I are consciously trying to find time in our busy lives to focus on achievable and seasonal creative projects. The idea is to find small but fulfilling projects which are in tune with the months of the year and rewarding to create, and I really hope it might inspire you to have a go at making something yourself. 

This month my thoughts turned to Easter which, after Christmas, is one of my favourite times of the year to get creative. All those feathers, eggs and flowers, all those bright, clean colours - it really lifts my spirits at a time of year when I'm ready to wave goodbye to winter. 

I have two quick and easy Easter themed projects this month which you could easily recreate yourself if you fancied doing something crafty or a bit of light cooking, and when I say cooking I really just mean melting, because I made Easter chocolate bark.

Chocolate bark, as far as I can tell, is simply a slab of chocolate absolutely covered with a topping of your choice; nuts, dried fruit, sweets, honeycomb, more chocolate....you can be as silly or sophisticated as you like. (Look up Unicorn Bark and you'll see what I mean.) Since all it involves is melting, pouring and decorating chocolate, it's a really fun activity to do with children as they can be as messy creative as they want and, if they're older, do it all themselves depending on the level of independence you feel comfortable giving them.


I began with some mini egg bark, melting 400g white and 200g dark chocolate. I poured the white chocolate onto a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper and smoothed it around. Then I drizzled the dark chocolate back and forth in lines, then used a skewer to create a messy feather effect. It was easy and so satisfying! Then we sprinkled some mini eggs over the top, plus a bag of "micro eggs" (mini mini eggs) that I found in Asda, and put it in the fridge to set. 


Even Bella was impressed when she saw it, and she doesn't impress easily, let me tell you. I suppose you could cut it into neat shapes if you wanted too, but I like it broken into shards.


We also made a milk and dark chocolate version covered in broken Cadbury's creme eggs. Splitting the eggs with a knife was gloriously sticky and fun.


Despite complaining frequently and loudly to anyone who'll listen that creme eggs don't taste the same as they did when I was a child, and that they've shrunk too, I still have a weakness for them. Give me a hot cup of tea and a creme egg in the evening with some crochet and some kind of gentle crime drama (Midsomer Murders/Morse/Lewis etc) on the tv and I'm really very happy.

(I am always telling John that chocolate bars have shrunk since I was little. I remember Wagon Wheels the size of saucers and Curly Wurlies the size of a 30cm ruler. It's quite possible that I have simply grown.)

But Easter themed chocolate bark - easy, fun, and a nice alternative gift to a chocolate egg. Or you could have both.




Continuing with the egg theme, I wanted to make some decorations to create a kind of Easter tree. I'd originally seen the idea for the hanging eggs on Pinterest and but didn't think it would look that great with the usual brown, date-stamped free range eggs I buy in the supermarket. But then my mum and dad, who'd just returned from a holiday in Suffolk , gave me a couple of boxes of the most beautifully coloured eggs laid by the chickens on the farm where they'd been staying. 


Those perfectly smooth white and pale blue shells suddenly seemed perfect for my little hanging chocolate holders, and so I very carefully cracked them, cooked with the (delicious, of course) eggs and then rinsed out the shells and carefully left them to dry.


Then it was just a case of threading a loop through a tiny pin-prick sized hole at the top of the egg, laying a bed of toy stuffing or cotton wool, and adding a handful of mini eggs.


The sprigs of cherry blossom I'd gathered from the garden weren't quite robust enough to take the weight of the chocolate-filled shells, so I added some willow stalks and hung the eggs from those instead.


These few branches and twigs make a kind of Easter tree, and I expect to have to refill the eggs many times between now and Easter day.


Please pop over to Lucy's blog to have a look at her Making the Seasons post - I imagine it will be full of her usual, beautiful colour and sparkle. I hope you all have a happy and relaxing Easter weekend. Here, John is off three out of the four days which is nice. We've got various things planned; breakfast out, lots of long walks, a big family meal at my parent's on Easter Sunday, plus chores like chopping wood (it's endless!) and jobs around the house. It must be spring by now because I have an urge to clear out every single cupboard. And eat all the chocolate of course. 

21 comments:

  1. Just gorgeous - all of it. I need to make bark, it's so beautiful the way you made the chocolate feather patterns, you've inspired me totally. xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done Gillian, the chocolate looks delicious, no doubt it (and you) will be very popular. Love the blown eggs as well. I have the urge to clear out every single cupboard and shelf and drawer too. Stand well back. Wishing you and yours a lovely Easter. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you via Lucy @ Attic24..... The little "nest of eggs" are so stinking cute! How clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh your chocolate bark looks delicious, I've never seen that before. It occurred to me today that I've not bought any Cadbury's creme eggs. Usually they are in many shops leading up to Easter and I buy lots. Sweet, sickly but so lovely, ummm shopping tomorrow. Happy Easter, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That chocolate bark looks divine, Move along on that sofa ..... I'm coming round! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Easter to you and your lovely family.
    The eggs hanging in the branches are so very nice made.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE the Easter tree! The combination of cherry twigs and willow alone would be enough to make me sigh wistfully, but the addition of those beautiful egg shells filled with mini eggs is just perfect.
    By the way I do think that sizes of sweets such as cream eggs, curly wurlys etc. do vary every other decade or so. I am sure the producing companies change their recipes and amounts to better suit their marketing and other needs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bark looks amazing, as does your tree. Is it me or do creme eggs and mini eggs taste a little different these days? I'm not getting the Cadbury chocolate hit any more, perhaps it's just my age! Happy Easter weekend. Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not just in your country but here in Czech republic the sweets are not the same anymore :)) I think that is why we used to be kids and everything seemed to be better those days. The sun was always shining during our childhood :)) Hana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my what a lovely swirl of chocolate. I like chocolate but only in teeny pieces so I satisfy myself with little bits off the girls eggs. I like you hanging tree - ours bit the dust this year and it has been too wet to go and source another one but I will be on the lookout for next year. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do think Creme Eggs are smaller now. I was just thinking that the other night, as I slowly and delicately ate the first of two Creme Eggs that I'm allowing myself this year. I want to eat a lot more than that...but. I love the look of your bark as well as your decorations. I used to hang plastic eggs on a bush in my front yard in our first house, but it's much too windy where I live now, they'd be blowing down the street on the first day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just to say Happy Easter, Gillian, to you and your family!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gillian this is such a good idea. I need to find some things for April...

    ReplyDelete
  14. We buy our eggs from a local farm where they have hundreds of brown hens and just a few white ones - the people at the shop don't seem to mind that I go hunting for the blue eggs amongst the trays! What is it about blue eggs? I don't know but I can't get enough of them! :) I love the look of the bark too, that's definitely going on my to-try list! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What fabulous compositions you make with your photos Gillian. It was lovely on the south coast yesterday and not too busy either - I guess everyone was Easter egg hunting. I am clearing out every cupboard and drawer and shelf as after 26 years we are finally making the move to West Sussex - whoopee! Kentish salt marsh lamb today followed by allotment rhubarb upside down pudding cake with a flaked almond nest of teeny tiny eggs. Happy Easter Holidays to you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha, yes I think it is you that has grown, not the curly wurlies that have shrunk!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there
    Can I ask what white chocolate you used as I always have trouble getting white chocolate to set. Lord knows why?? Thanks in advance.
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the really really cheap supermarket stuff!

      Delete
    2. That's great thank you for the reply!
      Emma

      Delete
  18. Loved this post, especially the Easter tree! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am chocolated out, have had wayyyy to much in the last few days, however in a couple of months will try the bark idea with my two girls. Love the Easter decs, that's a different idea I have not seen before xxx

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.