Saturday 24 March 2018

Winterspring



We are bouncing back and forth between two seasons here at the moment. It snows, then it warms up and spring seems to be suddenly on it's way. Then, last weekend, another quite unexpected snowfall and bitterly cold winds, followed by a week of double digit temperatures and blossom everywhere you look. And just when the clocks are about to go forward and we're looking ahead to the longer days and more spring-like weather, they're talking about snow showers over Easter.


Snow on the beach though, that was something. I've never seen it before down here on the south coast, and while it certainly wasn't a lot of snow it was beautiful all the same. 


It was so cold down on the beach but also strangely invigorating, even if I couldn't feel my face. That's the thing about having a dog, especially an energetic eight month old whippet - they need a good walk, whether you want one or not.


My thoughts are turning to the garden more and more at the moment. It's such a mess out there, I really want to get outside and tackle it, but there's so much to do! I'm overwhelmed. There is a huge pile of wood that needs chopping and stacking. Everything looks sad and brown. I've decided that I want to move the monstrosity of a trampoline to the opposite corner of the garden where it would be hidden from view by some large cordyline plants. Then, in that newly empty corner - which gets lots of sun, a bonus in our north-east facing garden - perhaps some raised beds, or even just a border. Anything would be an improvement on that trampoline, frankly, except the trampoline does hide some rotten fence panels so, before we do anything fun involving plants, we need to get those replaced. So all I've done is phone the guy who did our fence before and arrange for him to come round. Baby steps. I also wrote a really long list and picked some sprigs of cherry blossom and that made me feel better.


Thank you for all your comments on the succulent hoop. I'm so glad you all liked it as much as I did! I've made a start on a wall of embroidery hoops in the kitchen and they're coming together. I need more though. 


My head is full of plans for the house right now. This happens to me every spring - remember all those bedrooms we decorated this time last year? All those annoying jobs and tasks - patches of grubby paint work, broken plug sockets, piles of clutter, leaks - that I can ignore throughout the winter suddenly need doing desperately the minute March comes around. We have an electrician coming in a few weeks to do a few small jobs; I have plans for a peg rail in the hall; I've phoned the garage door repair man and got a quote to get the electric garage door fixed; there are trunks and wooden boxes in the garage which will become planters for the garden I hope. 

As for crafting, I really should be knitting my Wool and the Gang jumper, but my heart isn't in it at the moment. All I want to do is work on this cross stitch which I am enjoying so much. Something about the colours feels spring-like and I'm hoping to complete it over the next few months. 


I can't believe it's Easter next weekend. It seems to have come around so fast this year, although I don't know why I'm surprised given the amount of mini eggs and creme eggs I've consumed over the last few weeks. I haven't done any decorating or baking yet but I have plans to use some of that cherry blossom to create a simple arrangement, perhaps with some egg decorations, as a sort of Easter tree. I don't think I'm going to make a Simnel cake this year though, as I did last year. I loved it but John and the children weren't as fussed, so this year I think I'll make a big chocolate cake and just decorate it with mini eggs. That will definitely please everyone. 

15 comments:

  1. The cherry blossoms would look perfect with egg decs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I love seeing the whippet cross-stitch up there. I'm so glad you like it enough to include it on your wall. I've never seen snow on a beach before and have always wondered what that would be like. That's a big snowball! I hope the weather picks a season soon, especially a warm one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I do so love your cross stitch sampler and the hoops on your wall. Beautifully done. I know what you mean about the walking, we have marched about the place a lot this winter in the wildest of weather. Yesterday was another good whippet run down by the river - an hour and a half of top speed, whites-of-the-eyes sprinting, it wore him out nicely for most of the rest of the day. Love that first photo, it's gorgeous. Cherry blossom? I should like to go and see it in Japan one day. Wishing you and yours a lovely Sunday. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been an odd March with all the snow! I saw a snowman wearing a garland of daffodils while I was out! Love your hoop embroidery wall and you can never have enough chocolate at Easter, so chocolate cake sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely loving the embroidery hoops! Never thought to group them together in a display like that - they really make an impact. And 100% with you on the garden stuff. I spent half of today gazing out the window and feeling similarly overwhelmed. There's time yet though I hope! We are due more snow next week I think? Anyway, it will get sorted one way or another :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Simnel cake and usually make one for Easter - although it's usually me that ends up eating it all which may not be a good thing! I've had that same list going on for our garden and baby steps is definitely the way to go; you can spend hours out there and feel that there's nothing to show for it which is always a little disheartening but the effort is always worth it when the new growth comes through. I never think of snow settling on a beach; I always assumed that it wouldn't as it was too close to the sea, although I don't know why that makes any difference! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you are looking for pegs for the hallway I can recommend the Oliver Hrubiak ones from John Lewis, a little expensive but very well made and look lovely. Thank you for a lovely blog! Kate

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, the fickleness of weather. We had 36.9 deg last weekend, bushfires, no rain for the first half of March & as I sit writing this it is only 8 deg, chucking it down with rain & a howling wind. How crazy is that, with snow predicted to fall on the higher peaks above 1200 metres in the mountains. Huh! Im loving your wall of hoops & what the heck with crafting only what we feel like at the moment. I'm sort of into my crochet project at the moment, when I should be working on two baby quilts. Ah well, never mind we get there in the long run. Have a good week & take care. BTW, thanks for the lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As soon as the sun appears I feel the need to clean and sort everything. But then I look out of the window and see the brown field which is meant to be our garden, and feel that I should be out there gardening. And then oh my I have no idea what I should be doing first... But always chocolate cake with mini eggs. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pictures are just fabulous, Gillian! So glad you got to enjoy the beauty of snow. I do love it! And the snowball pic is terrific!! She'll likely remember that forever! Love your mini egg idea! We have a bakery nearby that make it their mission to tempt me with mini egg goodies....mini egg cruffin, mini egg egg bread, mini egg coffee cake, mini egg shortbread cookies....all way too tempting!!! Have a blessed Easter....Jesus is risen! I love this celebration!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum chocolate cake! We are like you, hoping to get the garden sorted. it is so over grown I dont know where to start!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's strange seeing snow on the beach, thanks for sharing those photos. Your embroidery hoop wall looks good with them altogether. I think the chocolate cake sounds perfect for Easter, enjoy. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I'm absolutely loving your posts and all atmosphere here, on your blog. I'm from Finland, and it's me who has been viewing your posts for several days. I'm in 2014 now :) And want to say that I'm very happy about it. Thank you very much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your display of embroidery hoops looks wonderful, I adore stitching and seeing a collection like this together has given me an idea for a little space of blank wall at my place. Thanks! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.