Wednesday 27 July 2016

In My Kitchen


It's been so good to have some unhurried time in the kitchen over these last few days. It's not something I get during term time and I am really appreciating all the time there is to linger over breakfast, to make myself a really nice lunch (I miss this so much when I am working), to cook something for tea which takes a little longer or a little more planning, to bake cakes and cookies. I'm enjoying hanging out in my kitchen.

The fruit bushes in the garden have been yielding so much fruit, it's just wonderful. I have done nothing to these bushes, not even watered them, yet I have been picking handfuls of the berries every few days over the last three weeks, adding them to the bags in the freezer which contain around 400 grams of redcurrants and 700 grams of blackcurrants. The redcurrants are over now but I still have blackcurrants ready to ripen. 


In my haste to beat the birds to the crop, I think I've picked some slightly underripe blackcurrants there, but I don't think that matters much, they'll just be a little sharper, but since I will sweeten them slightly anyway I am not bothered.

I recently tried these meringues, which call for a quick blackcurrant compote to be made which is then swirled through the meringue mixture before baking. 


I like compote - less faff than jam, but still delicious. I think I will make it more. These meringues were good (and so pretty!) and you could taste the currants through the egg white mixture. We ate them with whipped cream and some of the compote poured over the top.



There was a lot of the blackcurrant compote left over and it was delicious drizzled over porridge for breakfast.



My other breakfast obsession is nutella on toast topped with sliced strawberries. Don't mock it till you've tried it. You need a substantial bread, something like sourdough, that doesn't go soggy under the weight of all that topping. 



Greek yogurt with cherries, toasted almonds and a drizzle of honey, thrown together after lunch one day and it all worked really well. Cherries with almonds, you can't go wrong. 


I have rediscovered a love of oatmeal and raisin cookies lately and have been baking them regularly. These are probably my favourite kind and I would choose them over chocolate chip any day. 


The recipe is from The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook and if you look online you will find many published versions of this recipe. (Incidentally, this is a really good baking book, one of my most used, and I've never had a recipe fail from this one.)


Victoria sandwich cake. This always seems like a summer cake to me, and I've baked two this week already. 


It's not all breakfasts, puddings and cakes, we are eating actual proper food here as well. John made a rather good kedgeree a few days ago. 


Recipe from here.


I feel like I should be having a panic about going on holiday and squeezing into my swimsuit in a couple of weeks, but I don't really care. I'll just carry on enjoying what I cook and eat, and have a nice time on holiday. That sounds like a good plan. 

20 comments:

  1. Chocolate and berries and other fruit are a combination that I really do not like. With the exception of orange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would do the same before a vacation, so you have my support. I don't see why anyone would doubt the goodness of strawberries on toast; wouldn't it be a lot like jam? Silly people. My only problem would be that the strawberries would probably fall off the toast. I'm forever dropping food in my lap, I'm worse than the kids. Glad you're enjoying cooking so much lately, it all looks good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All deliciousness. We are in the depths of winter, albeit it an Australian winter, so your summer foods look exotic to me right now. We're all beef and ale pies and apple crumble with custard. And definitely no thought of swim suits! What will you do with the redcurrants, Gillian?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum, summer in your kitchen looks delicious xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who cares about how they look in a bikini when there is such great food to be enjoyed?! Also, the making and baking alone, all that work in the kitchen, will use up more calories than the food has ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. a fabulous foodie post, now adding kedigree to this weeks menu, I too love totally love the hummingbird bakery cookbook and they are my favourite cookies to bake too, the boys love them x have a lovely holiday x

    ReplyDelete
  7. The littlest boy loves a Victoria Sandwich (he calls it raspberry jam cake) and always has one on his birthday in June. The meringues look brilliant, such a great idea. We have morello cherry trees here, and they are lovely cooked with a little sugar then put over Greek yoghurt. It really is utterly delicious, the sourness of the cherries makes the yoghurt taste like cream, all of its sourness disappears completely. Down to our last few cherries now though, although I do have some in the freezer. Absolutely swamped with blackcurrants here. I've made cordial, now I need to freeze some for the winter. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it great to have time to enjoy food? Love your meringues and the kedgeree would be a very welcome dinner here, too. Have a lovely rest of the week. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your plan. Oh, yum. I now want to go and make and consume all of this... though maybe not in one sitting. It is a day for a summery Victoria sponge I think

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm, nutella and strawberries, that sounds delicious, as does the cherry and almond mixture, I love both. Anything with nuts is a winner for me. I support your in enjoying your food, it is all good and home made, and that is healthy in my book x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you're getting time to enjoy your lovely new kitchen, food is always such a rush when you're working. The food all looks delicious, I could eat all of it starting with the kedgeree and working my way up through the sweet things. Give me compote over jam any day. Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. hmmm I am obsessed with greek youghurt on everything latterly and I usually top it with a flake all crumbled up. Yay for holidays...enjoy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds like a perfect summer plan, Gillian! Enjoy that holiday and don't stress!

    Best,

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my... nutella, strawberries and sourdough. Summer has just begun! Isn't this what school holidays were made for... thanks Gillian xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. All that cooking sounds wonderful & you sound like you are picking as many currants as I did blueberries last year. I've not done kedgeree for a while so that might be on the menu soon. Have a great weekend and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It all looks absolutely delicious. Holidays are for enjoying - have lots of fun ( and yummy food!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. All of these look delicious particularly the meringues and Nutella/strawberry toast! Thanks for the link to the kedgeree recipe - by coincidence I bought some smoked fish this week so might well be making use of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I found two Hummingbird Bakery books when sorting a cupboard the other day, that I have not used yet, so I shall look for that recipe! Some lovely looking dishes there x

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a mouth-watering post! And those beautiful meringues - are they chewy in the middle?! A while back I bought a delicious berry meringue from a bakers, and it was chewy and wonderful. Yesterday we had a trip to Cirencester, and visited a bakers where I gleefully purchases a strawberry meringue to take home. Finally settled myself down to eat it, glorious anticipation mounting... and it was just crispy and hard hard hard!! No chewiness at all! In the grand scheme of life, this is not important, I know - but I was pretty devastated!!
    I did think I should try to make my own, so I'll give this recipe a try if it's a good'un?
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a little chewy in the middle, but not too much. Yes, the recipe is a good 'un! x

      Delete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.