Sunday 24 July 2016

Fresh Mint Choc Chip Ice Cream






The holidays have started. I officially finished work on Wednesday but went back in on Friday to finish some things off, so it's taken a few days to for it to sink in. I spent yesterday thinking "the holidays have begun, yay!" one minute and then " the holidays have started, oh my goodness, six long weeks, send help" the next, depending on the children's behaviour and my mood. Angus especially has forgotten how to entertain himself and flops from house to garden, never really settling on anything for long. It won't last and we all just need to get used to each other, get used to being in the house together during the day. Today was lovely. We've been out and about, baked, pottered. I've got so much to show you and share with you, but today it's ice cream (which we've eaten rather a lot of this last week in the hot weather.)

I should start by saying that I don't actually like mint choc chip ice cream, so why I've devoted a whole blog post to it is anyone's guess. It tastes so synthetic, like sweet toothpaste, and the chocolate is so squeaky, not to mention the weird blue-green colour which puts me off. Everyone else in my house disagrees and they love it and always choose it over any other flavour. So when John decided to try this recipe for mint choc chip ice cream from the Waitrose magazine last weekend, I was a bit indifferent. 

It's made with fresh mint, rather than peppermint extract, and I have to confess that I became marginally more interested when I smelled John chopping the mint. Fresh mint smells like Pimms, mojitos, buttered Jersey Royal potatoes and summer, and has one of the most delicious and evocative scents of all the herbs. I tasted the minty custardy mixture and started to reassess my feelings about green ice cream. 

This recipe is a faff. You make a custard, cool it (2 hours), churn it in an ice cream maker, freeze it (four hours), churn it again, melt the dark chocolate, and then layer it over the ice cream in a tub, freeze again (4 hours). This becomes a two day affair if you're not very organised, start it in the afternoon and haven't frozen the bowl for the ice cream maker properly before starting, like us.

But oh my goodness it is glorious. The freshness of the mint is almost grassy, and goes strangely well with the sweet vanilla custard base, and the dark chocolate is of course perfect with both. I think I am converted, but also ruined, because now I'll definitely never like shop-bought mint choc chip ice cream, not now I've tasted the good stuff.

12 comments:

  1. It sounds really delicious. I want to try mint chip soon too, maybe that should be our next one. I'm sure you'll have a good summer. I understand about everyone needing to get used to each other and to being around the house. I think it usually takes a week or two for us to really settle into a pattern, but it happens eventually. Enjoy your ice cream and your free days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a lover of mint chocolate chip either but could be tempted by this, it sounds delicious. Hope all settles down and you have a wonderful summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right, it takes a while for everyone to settle in to the holidays doesn't it. We've had an unusually calm start, which is making me uneasy. The ice-cream sounds utterly delicious. Still haven't managed to stuff the ice-cream maker into the freezer and now it's filling up with blackcurrants and things. Must try harder, I really need to make this. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is an involved recipe! My kids would love it, myself, I am not sure. Mint is not my thing but I'd try, of course I would. Hope it lasts for a few days. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Home-made ice cream is always so good. Normally I prefer vanilla, but home-made peach is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks and sounds delicious from your description and the pictures! I've had an "After Eight Cup" at the ice cream parlour the other day, with four (FOUR!) scoops of ice cream (mint and dark chocolate), after-dinner-mints for deco and lots of lovely minty syrup and chocolate sauce poured on top. It was heaven for my tastebuds! That ice cream place make their own (Italian - what else!) ice cream, and I believe them when they say they use natural ingredients whenever possible.
    Enjoy your holidays - mine start tomorrow, flying to Manchester and then taking the Transpennine Express to Yorkshire :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always been the same, toothpaste flavoured ice cream, no thanks, but that looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum... looks delicious! I've been so tempted to purchase an ice cream maker, now even more so! Though as one of the adults in this family is dairy intolerant I have realised that if we did buy one it would be slightly cruel on the person who can no longer partake in such delights, and would no doubt mean I would eat all the ice cream. Sigh, even homemade, that can't be a good idea. Happy holidays! Hope you are enjoying some introductory gentle days...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds interesting and I've not made ice-cream in years. I'd like to hear about any other flavours you make. Don't think I'd want any at the moment, as it has just started blowing & raining again, badly. Actually scary, so better close this off. Have a good week and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Gillian, it looks so professional! I can imagine how gorgeous it tastes especially with fresh mint. Must give it a go!! Thank you for taking the time to post and I hope you settle into your summer hols ASAP! Just chill! If the weather stays bright and summery, the days will take care of themselves!! Have fun! X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, this looks so yummy! Wish I could make ice cream like this at home!

    Take care
    Anne
    Crochet Between Worlds

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your photographs in this post. Having read about the ice cream I am sure it tastes wonderful; very high 'faff factor' , but a lovely holiday activity! X

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.