Saturday 16 July 2016

A Really Good Saturday







Saturdays when John is not working usually begin in a similar way. First, pancakes for breakfast, then we all go into town to visit the library and shops, sometimes stopping for coffee and cake too. We always call in at Waitrose for bits and bobs for the weekend, once we've decided what we want to cook and eat on Saturday and Sunday. We plan the weeknight meals and do the big weekly shop elsewhere, but we usually think about the weekend food differently. It might be a takeaway or something that involves lots of planning and preparation, depending on the kind of week we've had, what the weather is like. Then, unless we have somewhere particular to be, the afternoons are usually quiet and involve pottering around the house. 

Today was like that but ten times better, mainly due to the sunshine and totally gorgeous weather. We went into town but drank our coffee sitting outside the cafe, under the shade of a huge maple tree. It was just lovely. We did our shopping, went to the library (lots of crochet magazines!), bought a paper and nice things to eat, came home. There was one alarming moment when Angus left Barry the Badger behind in the children's section in the library and we didn't notice until we were half way round Waitrose. Luckily he was just where Angus had left him and badger and boy were reunited, but that was close. I don't know who would be more upset if we lost Barry, Angus or me.

Because it was so hot - and, being British, we get a bit excited when the weather in summer is summery and get confused and think we're on holiday - we opened beers and put the parasol up and ate lunch in the garden. Then we went to the park where the kids ran around while John and I lay on the blanket, he watching the cricket and me crocheting. It occurred to me that the kids were getting loads of fresh air and exercise while I wasn't having to exert myself in the slightest, and that was very pleasing.

Now, it's cool and cloudy. The kids have been having a water fight which involved flinging around full watering cans and trying to soak each other. I had to strip them off at the kitchen door, they were so wet and dirty. They are now upstairs reading, showered and in their pyjamas. John is preparing spicy pork noodles for our dinner and the kitchen smells of garlic and ginger. There is a key lime pie in the fridge for dessert and I have a glass of white wine next to me. We're deciding what film to watch later. Happy days.

*

Photos of me washing up taken by Angus. Keeping it real.

*

Thank you SO much for the response to my crafting post. So many good ideas! I need to sit and think and process, and - of course - write a list, and then write a blog post. But thank you. I knew you'd all come to my rescue. 




24 comments:

  1. Looks like you had an excellent day! I love going to the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that sounds like a wonderful way to spend a sunny Saturday, especially sitting here at 7am and it being 0deg outside with a light frost, but maybe, we'll have a sunny Sunday. My weekends are quite different as our children are all grown up and don't live close, but I remember a similar type when they were young and it brings back memories for me. Hope Sunday is just as good for you. Oh, I do love the vase on the table full of stocks. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds ideal: sunshine and family (in no particular order!) And it's always good to have a 'keeping it real' shot! Trust your Sunday will be equally great X

    ReplyDelete
  4. To avoid losing favourite small people's people we put a cat collar and a cat tag engraved with my number and the toys name, saying if found please call this number. We've only lost 'Dog' once but we got a call and it worked. I recommend it fully! X Cara X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a perfect Saturday to me! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like a truly wonderful day xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a super day...sun shining here today too, yippee! Have an equally really good Sunday Gillian :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely day. Did you make the ice-cream on the front of the Waitrose magazine? I thought it looked absolutely delicious. Such a beautiful green colour. Hope your Sunday is as good. I'm off to watch cricket in a minute, although the weather isn't quite perfection at the moment... CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a busy, happy Saturday. You manage to pack a lot in to one day! Hope your Sunday is equally enjoyable X

    ReplyDelete
  10. The song by Lou Reed comes to mind ... "oh, what a perfect day" ... xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds perfect. Here's to many more sunny days, meals outside, picnics, relaxed times. Hope your weekend continues in the same vein. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are the best of days - to be treasured, and fully enjoyed whilst in the moment! Lovely photos! Thank you. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful summery Saturday! Thank you for sharing it - and the beautiful pictures - with us. May there be many more of this kind.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like the perfect summer saturday! It isn't warm here in my part of Germany but I still enjoy that there is daylight for so long and that one can sit outside (sometimes) to have coffee! Hope you will have many more of these perfect days!

    Take care
    Anne
    Crochet Between Worlds

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely Summery weekend ! Re nearly losing Barry - when my son was little and having already lost ' Dipsy ' - which made me sick for days - and nearly losing ' Spotty Catty ' we came up with the solution of a collar and metal tag with Spotty catty and our telephone number engraved on it . Thankfully we still have SC ( my son is now 17 ) and although we never lost SC, it certainly gave us peace of mind xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you had a nice Saturday, Gillian. It looks perfect to me. I really love those photos of you taken by Angus. You look very happy and like you're even enjoying the washing up, if you ask me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful, just wonderful! You look very happy, marigolds and all, the two photos of you are just lovely. Our Saturdays are quite different, Richard is never at home, it is cycling day for him. The rest of us just potter around, trying to beat each other at being lazy. The big teenager beats us all. Have a fantastic week. It must be the holidays soon in your parts of the world! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a perfect family summer Saturday. I hope you had another wonderful day today. Life feels so much better when the sun shines and you can relax with loved ones. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the last two photos the best!! we had a great day on Sunday meeting up with my old friends from Young Farmer Club days. I think you have mentioned before the joy of a load of children aged 15 to 6 all just pickingup from when they last met even though they are technically strangers because their parents are friends. Last week of term for you Gillian? Roll on holidays. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  20. that sounds like a truly great Saturday! Hope the week ahead is a happy one too x

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great post!
    I love keeping it real too!
    These makes for the best souvenirs ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gillian you are so good at kicking back and enjoying life. And I love the action shots in the kitchen. It is those photos your children will look back on most fondly.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.