Thursday 31 March 2016

Midsummer Sprigs


My Midsummer Sprigs Sampler is back from the framers and I am so happy to be showing it to you. 



Some mock cross stitch (I've heard it dismissed as "sudoku for crafters") but I find the regularity of the stitches soothing, the way the most organic shapes are reduced to even little squares. Working on the black linen was hard work at times, I'll be honest, and I think all other cross stitches I sew will feel easy after this. But I kept at it because I love it so much, love the way the colours pop and shine against the dark background. 


I opted to have it framed without glass. This is risky - I'll have to make sure I don't hang it in a sunny spot - but my preference. I love the way I can run my hands over the stitches of the things I've made and feel the bumpy texture. I'm weird like that.


The pattern is by the talented and ever-inspiring Alicia Paulson and available here.


I followed the pattern instructions for the most part, ordering the stated linen (Cashel) and some of the Weeks Dye Works embroidery threads she recommends. They are lovely because they're variegated, and so the colours pool and change as you sew. But I also bought a lot of the cheaper brands of thread too, like Anchor and DMC, especially for the colours I only needed in small quantities. 


At the moment it sits on the mantel above the fire place, where the black linen reflects the black stove below. I'll enjoy looking at it here for a while before I hang it elsewhere. 


*

Thank you for your brilliant tips and suggestions on how to survive the kitchen re-fit! We are fortunate in that we have a sink and cold water plumbed into the garage, so can wash up there, with hot water from the kettle. So our temporary kitchen will consist of a sink and tap, a small amount of worktop space, camping table, fridge, freezer, microwave, kettle, toaster and slow cooker.

Your tips were great though. I'd already thought about eating at other's houses (I'll be seeing a lot of my family over the next few weeks!) and using the microwave and slow cooker, but hadn't considered paper plates, what a flipping good idea. And hot meals at school for the kids every day means that I don't have to worry about cooking them something every night. "Cold Collation" (a cold meal of nice nibbles, like anti pasti) was a new one to me, but I reckon I can give that a go! And things that can be eaten with couscous and bulgar wheat which don't require boiling, only soaking in boiled water - brilliant tip.

I am batch cooking like mad, especially meals which can be eaten with those microwaveable pouches of rice or couscous; chilli, curries, and yesterday ten portions of spicy chicken, chorizo and chick pea stew were made and frozen. And I'm not above buying a microwave meal, of course. Or eating the odd takeaway. 


26 comments:

  1. So pretty, the black fabric might have been difficult, but it's the perfect background. Good luck on the kitchen remodel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sampler is very pretty, I'd happily have it sit on my mantelpiece. I am impressed that you persevered with the black linen, it can be so difficult to work with dark fibre, particularly during the darker months. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is really beautiful Gillian, I made a huge sampler 20 years ago on a navy background and it still looks great today. I hope you love it forever. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sampler really pops on the mantel. My favourite part is the little bees

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's gorgeous, good luck with the kitchen
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sampler is gorgeous and the colours are perfect against the black background. My favourite is the bees too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Gillian,
    Gorgeous. The flower top right is currently in my soon to be butterfly garden patch. Is it Speedwell? I think it is, but wild flowers often trick me. I like that you opted for a frame without glass. I think a tactile piece of work like this needs to be felt. I'm sure all those fine tapestries that were hung in Tudor mansions, were designed with that purpose in mind. Or for hiding behind, and plotting. 'Cold collation' made me chuckle. The last time I heard that was in a Victoria Wood sketch.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a stunning picture those flowers make against the black, it really is very eye catching. What a work of triumph.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful sampler! I'm sure it wasn't easy to work with the black fabric but you must feel really proud whenever you look at it. Irune

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully stitched. I can imagine how tricky the black fabric was. Good luck with the kitchen refit. We cooked food at the allotment on a Trangia today, I can highly recommend it. And afterwards you'd be able to use it for fun hiking trips. The best part was that the children made their own (and my) lunch. Doesn't get better than that. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your sampler is beautiful Gillian. Your stitching is so neat. I hope it brings you great pleasure every time you look at it. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh lovely lovely lovely, I can imagine the black background was very challenging to sew on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your needlework is very beautiful and looks great where you've put it for now! I admire your patience and determination; wish I could be a bit more like that.

    Your alternative kitchen sounds luxurious compared to what the countless families in refugees camps at the Greek border (and elsewhere, of course) have, and they, too, survive somehow... probably without hot meals at school for their children :-( It is terrible, and I must admit I have a bad conscience for being in my safe, warm, luxurious cocoon of my own flat, work place and so on. Also, it makes me so very grateful for all the luxury I have in my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that has occurred to me many times too. And I know that you know that I'm not moaning - I count myself as extremely fortunate - but just thinking aloud about solutions round a problem. Anything to keep a household harmonious!
      Gillian x

      Delete
  14. Just make it fun, like you're camping. Actually, one of those little gas camp stoves which take a small can like an aerosol, would be quite handy. We keep one in the car for cups of tea. Try not to stress and before you know, it will be finished. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a lovely sampler! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The picture is lovely and with the dark background, very eye catching!
    We often now on a Friday night have a non cooked meal, some antipasti, some nice cheese or smoked fish and a speciality bread goes down well with a glass or two of white wine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Its amazing how much you can cook for microwave, camping stove and slow cooker. We survived a month of it! Love the stitching, I think the bee hive and tiny bees are my fav xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so pretty and wouldn't be half as effective without the black fabric. You're making me tempted to go back to cross stitch though I've just started a bird embroidery and am really enjoying it. Sounds like you have the meal planning well in hand - I'm sure the kids will think it's all a great adventure. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful cross stitch, especially so on the black linen...

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful sampler. The black linen must have been hard on the eyes! Gorgeous result X

    ReplyDelete
  21. So cheerful, and looks great on display in the frame! x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your sampler is wonderful, you picked the perfect frame. We did paper everything when our kitchen was redone, cups and silverware too if I could manage it. Not great for the environment but it worked for those few weeks.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is delightful! You are so clever and it is so striking against the black!x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the sampler, the black is so striking. My new kitchen was finished at Xmas after 6 weeks of washing up in the bath! You have my sympathies. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. First of all, thank you so much for commenting on my blog! We've been away (and off grid) and I was thrilled to find your comment waiting when we got home.

    I love the way the stitches stand out against the black background, and am particularly fond of the little bees and their skep. All those buzzing, humming insects are the soundtrack of summer, really. You've definitely inspired me to do a little summer embroidery this year.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.