Friday 18 March 2016

Cedar River Blanket


This is the first blanket I've made where have followed a whole pattern from start to finish. Normally I tinker around with directions, changing the yarn, colours or structure in some way or taking an image from one place and mixing it with an idea from somewhere else. But with this, I didn't once stray from the instructions, because I thought the pattern and colours were so lovely - so me - that they were perfect as they were. 


There are pros and cons with each way of working, of course. Following a pattern can be tedious and hard work if your heart's not really in it (or it's badly written, which luckily this one wasn't), but in some ways it's so liberating. No worrying about which colour works with the next one, no playing yarn chicken with scraps of leftover balls, hoping I'll have enough to finish a row. Just print out the pattern, order the yarn, check you have the right size hook. and off you go. Also, no worrying about what to call the finished article. This one comes ready named, the "Cedar River Blanket". I like that.


The pattern, which you can see here, is known as Corner to Corner crochet. You start small, increasing to a central point, then decrease along the opposite side. I don't know if there is a name for this stitch but it's just clusters of trebles pulled together into lovely shell-like shapes. Individual squares are bordered and crocheted together, then the whole blanket is edged with a simple, clean row of treble stitches. 


I chose to make the large throw, which is made up of 24 squares measuring 110 cm by 165 cm. It is very definitely a throw not a blanket - smallish, lightweight (the yarn is acrylic) and perfect to keep on the back of the sofa to pull over my legs during spring evenings. 

And look, those colours - just perfect for our living room!




29 comments:

  1. I love the colors of that blanket! It fits perfectly in your living room! What a nice blanket! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Gillian, they are so satisfying to finish aren't they :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. This pattern has been tempting me for awhile. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking gorgeous in your sitting room! I do like a good pattern where all thought and the hard work has been done for you... just the joy of new balls of wool and a new make. Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great - and it suits your livingroom beautifully!
    I made many blankets but honestly, I've never made one following a pattern 100 % - a bit funny come to think of it. But that how I crochet, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excited to see this finished! It looks lovely, you must be so pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks beautiful, Gillian. I've never tried making a blanket from a fully guided pattern, just stitch patterns. It must be a different experience to have things laid out for you that way. Your blanket looks lovely in the living room. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous and very you. I love the phrase 'yarn chicken'! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty and what a great design. You're right about following the pattern is easier than altering it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blanket is amazing, wonderful colors and textures. Love the photos of your living room, it looks fantastic.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  11. The blanket is lovely! Looks perfect in your lounge. I've had this pattern saved for a while must do it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's gorgeous Gillian, and beautifully stitched. Very you and perfect in your lovely living room. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a delightful blanket, Gillian. As you know, I'm not a crafter and until I began to look at some blogs - such as your own - where these skills are celebrated, I thought such things rather old-fashioned. Perhaps this is because these blankets were usually on old ladies' beds in the 1950s and I associated them with old fashioned mustiness! But now young women, such as yourself, have brought about a crafting renaissance, and are even improving on the skills of those in the past, where yarns and so forth were rather limited in their colours and textures. This demonstrates clearly that crafting skills are alive and well, when women - and men - can produce things as beautiful as this in their own homes, for their own homes.
    However ... as I've seen on some blogs, and while the people making them are obviously proud of their efforts, enthusiasm isn't always matched by technique nor even an eye for colour. You have all three - technique, enthusiasm and above all, a great eye for colour.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a beautiful, beautiful blanket! It reminds me of those moments as a little girl when my grandmother started to teach me how to crochet. Sadly, I never really picked it up. Wonderful work here and I enjoyed you explaining things, such as the "corner to corner". :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your blanket looks amazing in that beautiful living room.Irune

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love, love, love it. Well done. Have a geat weekend and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It IS perfect for your living room, Gillian!
    If I were to crochet (or knit, or sew), I know I'd be following instructions to the letter - I'd be much to worried about making mistakes otherwise :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is really beautiful Gillian! It looks lovely and great for keeping cosy under on chilly evenings! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's lovely Gillian and looks perfect in your so stylish sitting room. My husband installed our new glass lantern in the hall today and with one of those clear glass LED bulbs with visible copper filaments it looks stunning - traditional and contemporary at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just caught up with your posts. Thanks for the tour of the living room. What a fab idea to set the sofa across the room as you have done. Your new blanket is lovely.
    We had a day out in Chichester yesterday and I was thinking of you!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is a beautifully made throw and the colours are just perfect. I think the stitches are similar to the one in my crochet blanket, they're clusters of trebles too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Perfect all round I would say. I like the way you always make something measured and thoughful. I should do more of that instead of random making! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  23. fabulous Gillian, great colours! x

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's beautiful Gillian, love the choice of colours! xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a splendid job! I love your reference to being a 'yarn chicken'...been there, done that..what a lot of fuss!! You will enjoy that blanket for years to come! Kudos! The colours are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh gosh, looking wonderful! You have great skills Gillian, a real eye for interior design and the ability to carry through crafts to such a high standard. X

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.