Monday 4 January 2016

Meet Alfie and Polly


I like to make Bella and Angus a little something for Christmas. I tell myself it's for them but we all know it's for me as well. I will continue to do this for as long as they want toys, and after that I'll make them woolen scarves and hats to wear (and yes I realise they probably wont want to wear anything made by mum, but I'll do it anyway). Last year I made them a toy fox and doe and the year before I made Bella a rabbit and Angus a dog. All those gifts were sewn, either by hand or on a machine, and this time I wanted to try a crocheted toy and so I bought a copy of Edward's Menagerie and let them look through it and choose an animal each. If you don't know the book, it's really charming - each animal has a name and a little back story, and they are full of personality. Also, many elements of the pattern are the same (arms, legs, body) with the changes being in the faces, ears and tails, which is where all the character is, so a lot of the work involved is quite straightforward. I'd really recommend it and am considering buying her second book, the bird version, just so I can make myself a bright pink flamingo.

Bella chose the polar bear and I made this first as it came from the beginner level of the book and, this being my first attempt at amigurumi crochet, I wanted to start gently. The patterns are not difficult, but they do require patience and concentration, in particular for all the counting and the constant moving of stitch markers. 


I used Stylecraft Chunky DK in cream, leftover from Bella's blanket and a 5 mm hook as you want quite a tight crochet fabric.

Stuffing it is easy, but sewing it together felt like an effort, trying to get everything straight, in particular the ears, eyes and nose. Any wonkiness adds to character, I'm sure you'll agree...


Angus chose a Jack Russell dog which came from the advanced chapter in the book but really, apart from working with two colours in the head section, the pattern is not that much harder than the polar bear. 


I didn't have any leftover yarn for this one so bought some Boshi yarn from Hobbycraft. Five balls at £4 a ball cancelled out any savings I made using leftover yarn for Bella's polar bear, but you can totally feel the difference in the quality (and wool content) of this yarn compared to the acrylic, so as always you get what you pay for. 


I think my favourite thing about this dog is his little pointed tail.


But, although fiddly, they are lovely crochet projects. Not that I'm in a desperate hurry to make another one for some time now, I think blankets and mittens are more what I want to crochet at the moment.



Angus named his dog Alfie as my in-laws have a Jack Russell with that name and I think he thinks all Jack Russells must be called Alfie. 

Bella named her polar bear Polly. I think she does look a bit like a Polly actually.


I'm joining in with my friend Jennifer's Winter Project Link Party over at her lovely blog Thistlebear



40 comments:

  1. Polly and Alfie have the cutest faces!
    Happy 2016!
    best d x

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are gorgeous and look as though they are great friends! I am sure that your children will love them, I do! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are super cute. I know that book, I don't have it but my Aunt does and I taught her the basics so that she could work through the ones she wanted to make. Faces are always hard but you have got them spot on, they can make or break a character. I love that spine on the book of Heidi. My daughter is called Heidi and we love that story we even have a sequel here but she doesn't want to read it yet - bit hard but I might give it a go myself. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful toys and great names too! I think both are probably far too difficult for my limited crochet skills - blankets are about my limit. I'm sure they will be treasured and loved for many years. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I love little Alfie! I'm sure that they'll be treasured for years to come, and perhaps passed down to future grandchildren? Oh and please make a flamingo!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just gorgeous! I love all your makes for your children's Christmas presents. I usually have grand ambitions that never quite manage to get completed in time for the big day and which I promise myself I will just finish off in January, but end up languishing in a WIPs bag somewhere under a bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are both so sweet, well done you x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aren't they sweet. I agree the tail is very cute indeed. I hope Polly and Alfie become much love members of the family.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, they are so cute! I love the look of that book, I nearly bought one at Yarndale, and might well get one there next time (if there are any!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Georgeous Gillian. Clever girl and very lucky kids.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A little wonkiness is always good, although these look pretty perfect to me. Our black-and-white cat is called Alfie. He thinks he's a dog, so the name definitely fits. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute Gillian! After knitting Gianna's fox scarf I may never knit another animal again. It was really hard getting the head and face to look right. It's still not as cute as the one in the book. Yours look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alfie and Polly are both so cute and I am sure they will be well loved. Well done Gillian. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant! I was given both these books for Christmas and the first thing I'm making is the flamingo...every house needs some amigurumi, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh they are adorable, and so full of character!! Polly looks wise and Alfie very bright! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. They're absolutely lovely, clever you. I like the idea of crochet rather than knitting for animals - I can't face loads of double pointed needles sticking out everywhere. I love their fat little tummies, you've made a beautiful job of them. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. They both turned out so cute! I made my daughter the bunny from the same book for Christmas (as a surprise) and luckily, she loves it. And yes, I admit: it was a little bit for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love Alfie and Polly, they are so cute and adorable. Their faces are full of expression and character and look like they could get up to mischief together!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Polly and Alfie are nice additions to your household :-)
    I must say though that I loved the fox and doe you made last year more, I wouldn't mind see them sitting on my settee! Of course I am way too lazy (and not at all talented in that department) to ever attempt making anything like it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  20. They are just gorgeous. I have only made a couple of Emma bunnies so far but I really must get to some of the other animals :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Alfie and Polly are sweet. I admire you for making such fiddly things. I have an knitters amigurami book but haven't tried crochet, I am not sure if I like crochet enough to persevere beyond the one leg stage. Our Jack Russell is called Jack :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  22. They are just adorable Gillian. You really are very talented. I'm halfway through the first knitted doll for my girls. It's slow progress with me!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What lovely presents. Children do feel the specialness of having things made just for them. Of that I am quite sure.

    You are right, you can keep making things for your children for as long as you want. And nice things are nice things, so they don't stop liking them, just because their Mum made them. My daughter doesn't like knitted/woolly things generally but she likes my crochet scarf and said she would like to have one and so will probably get one next Christmas. I have also got a lovely Cherry Heart blanket pattern ready to make for her birthday. Again she has said she really liked it and would like to have one made for her. Maybe that is the trick - to make them what you know they like and actually want? She also likes embroidery and has a cushion I made for her and a few other little things. These things all make her University room more cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These turned out wonderfully. I hope your Littles cherish them for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  25. They're gorgeous! I wish my daughter was young enough to appreciate a hand-crafted toy, though she has only ever had eyes for her pink dog - she still sleeps with it and she's in her 20s! x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gillian - they are really cute. Kudos to you for trying something new and for being such an awesome talented Momma. these gifts are so much more precious than anything bought in a store.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Clever you! This type of thing makes me feel envious- I couldn't even bring myself to try crochet, it scares me. I love handmade things though - so much nicer and more meaningful than just buying everything. Hope you're having a lovely New Year.
    S x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh they are sooo cute! And look fantastic, well done. My youngest child is now 17 and they still love to receive homemade gifts, I even cross stitch little items for my sons so I'm sure your children will continue to love to receive such gifts, many years of gift making ahead!They do love homemade.
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my gosh...they're darling and their names are PERFECT!!! Well done. Oh so cute. I want to reach through the screen and smoosh them with a big hug. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Polly and Alfie are adorable and they are really wonderful handmade presents. I've never tried amigurumi crochet before but I'm feeling a bit more confident in my crochet so I might give it a go this year. X

    ReplyDelete
  31. They are lovely gifts. And when they get older there will only be a very short period they will not want to wear what you make for them, as they mature they will appreciate all your hard work and love.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  32. They're both adorable, Gillian! I love them. It's wonderful that you make them a handmade gift for Christmas. I manage to do it some years but not this year. I've made them a lot of other stuff lately, so it balances out. I'm sure Bella and Angus love their stuffed animals and will always remember the work you put into making them. You did a great job. Thank you for joining in with my link party. I hope you're having a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Alfie and Polly look great. Especially Alfie - he reminds me of our wee Jack Russell.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Those really are so super cute, esp. the tails. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great work, they look really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  37. They're adorable! And beautifully made. I wouldn't know where to start crocheting anything so I am totally in awe of your prowess.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for the introduction to Alfie and Polly, Gillian. I admire them...and dare to think I should try to crochet a character of some sort...someday. I can imagine you crocheting a flamingo someday...but do not dare to think I will ever :) Hope your week is a happy one. xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.