Friday 8 January 2016

A Year of Making

It's Friday. We made it through the first week back at school and work intact. Well done us! Thank you all for your lovely comments on Polly and Alfie, you are very kind. Alfie is getting a little bobbly due to over-cuddling and I fear I may have to sew an arm back on soon as he is dragged everywhere by his paw, but otherwise they're intact. 

Now I know New Year feels like an age ago already, but I wanted to do one of those posts where I gather together everything I made over a year and look at it. It interests me to see the changes in the kinds of things I want to make, my use of colour, the way crafting is less something the children and I do together, and more something I do for myself. A lot of my makes last year were for the home which is no surprise really, when you think that we moved house last year. Making is my way of putting my stamp on something. Also, there was a lot of crochet last year. I think that's partly down to my increased confidence with tackling harder patterns and wanting to push myself to try new things, but also because - now that my crafting time is largely limited to the evenings - it's much easier to crochet than hand-sew in electric light when you are tired. Likewise, projects that involve paintbrush or sewing machine are less appealing now that I'm at work, when I just want to sit on the sofa and pick up yarn and hook when I have any free time.


{ January, February, March }



January


February


March



*


{ April, May, June }



April


May


June



*

{ July, August, September }


July


August


September



*


{ October, November, December }


October


November


December



Creatively, I'm not sure what 2016 holds yet. I have two blankets and one embroidery to finish, but when has an ongoing project ever stopped anyone from starting a new one? I'd like to make a blanket for Angus's bed. I'd like to cross stitch and embroider more. I'd like to paint more furniture and continue to work on the house. I keep saying I want to start an English Paper Piecing hexies quilt, and I have a huge stash of yarn scraps just sitting there...I just need to start it, and stop talking about starting it. 

But making things with my hands continues to make me ridiculously happy and I can't imagine a time in my life when I wont be sewing, crocheting or painting something. It calms me when I am anxious and soothes me when I am irritable or tired. But I also love the fizz of excitement at the start of a new project, and that exhilarating feeling of pulling off something I didn't know I could do, of learning to do something well. And the feeling of triumph and satisfaction at the end of a long project when you think, yes, it was all worth it, I'm glad I worked so hard on that. It's good for me.

If you're interested, you can look back on previous crafty round-ups below.


32 comments:

  1. You've made some lovely things last year. I have to get my confidence back with crochet hopefully this has inspired me into action! I've started some teddies and then abandoned them over the last couple of years. I'm having a bedroom move around for my children at the weekend hopefully that will kick start me into action. Ps I loved the Style At Home article. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always look forward to your annual creative posts, Gillian. You did do a lot of crochet this year, and it's nice that you did a little of everything - stuff for the home, for the kids and for yourself. I agree with all that you said about crafting. I really can't imagine what I'd be like without it, crankier, probably. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you certainly had a productive year. And it's lovely to see it all together like that, it looks most impressive. I know what you mean about feeling that you will always be crafting, I'm the same. I can't imagine not making things, I always have something I can pick up. I'm wishing you a creative, inspired and productive 2016 Gillian. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - you have had a busy, creative year! So many gorgeous projects; I can't wait to see what you get up to in 2016. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness, you have been prolific Gillian. You are one of the bloggers who has inspired me to try my hand at crochet and to be more creative generally. If I ever manage to make anything similar to one of the items you made last year, I'll be a happy woman. Here's to a creative and productive year. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some fabulous makes this year and what a productive year it has been for you. My favourites are the V-stitch scarf, your granny square blanket and your rainbow chevron blanket. Looking forward to seeing your "makes" in 2016. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely makes. I especially like your crochet stool covers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your 2015 creative reprise inspired mm, Gillian, and I look forward to seeing the projects you tackle in 2016! Happy Weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can't buy lovely things like that can you? Well you can - but only if someone else makes them instead. No, that quality comes only from being properly and nicely handmade. We are lucky we can do that aren't we? I am drawn to the string bags in those photos, it's the colours I think. It's time I made one or two of my own I think. You certainly made rather a lot last year and all lovely. If mums make nice things, children continue to love what they make, no matter what age.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great year of crafting some lovely things! I hope that you enjoy your crafting in 2016 just as much. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great year of crafting you should be proud. I have so many projects planned for 2016 and they mostly seem to be blankets! Looking forward to seeing your next project x

    ReplyDelete
  12. A craft round-up is a great idea, a different way of looking back at the year. It's not just the things you made, but also you remember how you made them, what was your situation when you started, what it was like to work on it and return to the project in the evenings after work, who you made it for (when it wasn't something "general" for the house), and so on.

    You know what my favourite piece out of all these is? The ironing board cover!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wish I had your talents. I want to learn to crochet this year, just not sure where to start

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Gillian your sense of style shows through when we see all your projects together. I wish I had a bit of style - mine are more random acts of complicatedness! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  15. How lovely to look back on a year of makes, a wide selection too! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your makes are full of colour and made with love for your home and family.Happy making in 2016 wherever it takes you.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  17. So many beautiful makes Gillian. I'm the same, I've knitted and cross stitched for years, and can feel myself beginning to get agitated if I have a day when I don't get chance to add a few stitches of some sort here and there. Look forward to seeing your makes of 2016!
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely makes Gillian! You've been very productive. After the summer, when I started working I lost my crafty mojo but I made the poncho during the Xmas hols and I'm planning to keep on going. I particularly love your V-stitch scarf. Happy New year to you and yours, Pati x

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh my, so many beautiful makes xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful makes! I crocheted a few string bags several years ago and they are so useful.
    I really love seeing blankets I've crocheted being used at others' houses, coming across a scarf hung on their hook or spotting a baby blanket on a friend's FB page. Crafting is such a good way to expres creativity and give comfort to loved ones isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  21. You made some beautiful things in 2015 and no doubt 2016 will bring us lots more of your creative crafting to inspire us all.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful crafty collection!I keep looking at your South Bay shawlette - maybe 2016 is the year I'll actually make one.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The thing I like best is your use of colour on the stool cover against the green wall in your hall. Ace !

    ReplyDelete
  24. You have some really lovely makes. It only seems a few weeks ago you were making that still cover!! I hope you have a really creative 2016 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Some really fabulous makes. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with this year!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So many wonderful projects. Here is to a creative 2016!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonderful makes Gillian. My favourite make is your scarf, I really fancy copying it. Have a wonderful week. x

    ReplyDelete
  30. They're all beautiful! I especially love the poncho and shawl and the crocheted toys are just adorable. Looking forward to seeing more fantastic makes in 2016! X

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a simply wonderful collection of your creativity this year! You always have such variety :) your ideas inspire my own...thank you so much for sharing!! God bless you in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a simply wonderful collection of your creativity this year! You always have such variety :) your ideas inspire my own...thank you so much for sharing!! God bless you in 2016!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.