Thursday 10 December 2015

Tin Can Tea Light Holders


I've come to realise that crafting is one of the things I do to prepare for things - Christmas, Easter, birthdays - and that doing something creative just adds to my feelings of anticipation and the gradual build up to the event.

I've seen these tin can tea light holders/luminaries done a few times in magazines and on pinterest and was keen to have a go as it seemed like a fairly easy and inexpensive way to add a bit of Christmas sparkle to the house, and they just look so pretty. All you need is a few empty cans, a hammer, nails, and paint.

This is how I made them. First, collect your cans, washing them out and removing the labels and as much of the glue as you can. Then fill the cans with water and then freeze them, to stop the metal getting too dented when you create the pattern. 


Draw your chosen design onto some greaseproof paper, cutting the paper to roughly the size of the label on the can.


You could also draw directly onto the can with a marker pen if you prefer. Use a couple of elastic bands to keep the design in place on the can.


Transfer the designs onto the can with hammer and nail. Wrap the can in an old tea towel to stop it rolling around while you work and also to catch the drips from the melting frozen water inside the can.


Firmly and quickly tap the nail with the hammer, following your pattern. You could try varying nail size for different hole sizes if you like. You can see my can dented a little here but it doesn't really show when it's painted.


Let the can defrost in the sink and, when it's completely dry, you can paint it. I used spray paint because I already had some in the garage leftover from other projects, and it's very quick and easy to apply although do make sure you use it in a well ventilated area.


They look nothing special in daylight, but at night, with a tea light inside, they are transformed into something beautiful.


I also sprayed four cans copper to spell out the word "Noel". (It was quicker than tapping out "Christmas" onto nine cans.)

These look so festive and pretty by the stove and the warmth of the copper is lovely against the black hearth.



The bottoms of the tea light holders do get hot, so take care which surface you put them on. For the three white holders which I keep in the porch, I use those little battery operated fake tea lights which are lovely and also safer. I use real tea lights for the ones in the living room where I can keep an eye on them.  

I love that you can take something as everyday and utilitarian as a tin can and with very little effort and a few tools you can transform it into something so sparkly and pretty! Things like that make me very happy.

30 comments:

  1. They're lovely, what a great idea, and I really like the tip of freezing them full of water to stop them denting. Clever! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tins look lovely. I've been thinking about doing this for ages but wouldn't have thought about freezing water in the cans first – great tip, thank you. I'll try this the week after next when the children are on holiday. What could possibly go wrong?! Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look brilliant. Thanks for the clear tutorial.

    In the autumn, we have lots of fun making lanterns with jam jars and coloured tissue paper, so I'm delighted to read about your Christmassy version. I know what we'll be doing this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a pretty cool idea I have to say... Might have to start saving tins!! Thanks for showing us how, the frozen water us very clever!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I think they look very professional too. You're good with a hammer and nails. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cool. I wonder if I could make some tin taillights, too. I am a bit clumsy with the hammer... I like making things to prepare fore seasonal events, it is relaxing when all around you is a bit crazy. Thanks for sharing this tutorial. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these lanterns and the tips about freezing and wrapping in a tea towel are invaluable. What a shame that the recycling was done yesterday - I'll have to start saving!xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look fabulous! Keep meaning to have a go at these myself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful idea! Going to make these this weekend for the sidewalk to my front porch, too bad coffee cans are harder to come by these days ...they'd be awesome with a pillar candle inside! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. great idea, look lovely in the candle light ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Gillian,
    These are great, and look really effective. I do like the Noel ones.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are just fab - well done, and thanks for the tutorial too. Definitely going to bookmark this and add it my List :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love them Gillian, and although I've seen the idea, like you, I thought they would be a pain to make. I'd never have known about freezing them and you could put that clingy stuff for the bottom of drawers underneath whilst doing them, so they don't move too much. Is it posting about making things this week, as I did a tutorial on my snowflake. Happy 'crafting' and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah Gillian, I love it when people make something out of nothing, it warms my soul. They are beautiful and how strange that they mimmick the final photo on my post today!
    http://joeveryday19@blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look beautiful! They've been on my to-do-list for years. Maybe this year I'll get to it thanks to your tutorial ��

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love them...I'm off to use up cans and get busy...thankyou for a great idea. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for sharing how you made your tea lights, Gillian. Eons ago I made some, but I did not use this method. Yours are brilliant! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look very nice, and I agree with you, it is such a good thing to give something as mundane as a tin can a new life!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well done! They look wonderful! Brings back memories of doing these with my sons years ago. Then when I went back to teaching, I thought it would be a great activity to do with my class. What was I thinking? Twenty-two ten-year olds with hammers!! We survived, I few bashed fingers. Lesson learned ;) My sons and I have also done them in the summer and then hung and lit them around our campsite. Enjoy the glow...and fab tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  20. They are really lovely! So cosy looking.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look very effective, what a great idea to use the copper spray, they look so warm and welcoming.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great idea Gillian. These look so cosy in a cool Scandinavian way. Might try making some with my daughter this week - it's ages since we did any Christmas crafting together.

    ReplyDelete
  23. We used to make these when I was young, thank you so much for reminding me of this wonderful idea.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  24. I absolutely love these tea light cans! So pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look great. They're pretty and festive too. Thanks for showing us how to make them. X

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a cool idea! It is quite easy to do and really good looking. Even more I think it would perfectly suit in almost every design.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely! Such a clear tutorial too! They look so effective, especially the copper coloured ones X

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.