Thursday 24 December 2015

Merry Christmas


I love Christmas Eve. Even though the children are bouncing off the walls and there's still a lot to do, there is something about this day that makes me not mind the cooking, the preparing of guest rooms, the last minute wrapping. I would even go so far as to say that I enjoy it. 

Late last night I finally finished the crocheted dog and polar bear I am making Angus and Bella for Christmas. I'll show you them another time but they are pretty cute. I hope they are well received, as I really do love to make the kids a little handmade something or other each year to supplement the other gifts under the tree. 

Later on today, the kids and I will go to my sister's for mince pies and drinks, but I don't think Christmas will start properly for me until about seven tonight when John gets home and we open the prosecco and do our little Christmas Eve rituals with Bella and Angus. John has four days off this Christmas (four!) and we will cherish every single one. We are at my parents' tomorrow. Part of me wanted to host Christmas lunch but I can't deny that their range cooker and enormous dining table is better suited to catering for ten than our single oven. We have friends coming to stay on Boxing Day and after that, well I have no plans. Except to read, do some jigsaws, crochet, go for walks, eat, drink, lie on the sofa, watch Agatha Christie dramas on TV, play with Bella and Angus, catch up with some blogs. 


I made a gingerbread house from scratch this week, and it was a lot of work. Fun, yes, but extremely time consuming. Making gingerbread has always been one of my Christmas rituals but I think that a whole house may be a step too far. 


I followed my friend Rachel's advice and decorated the walls before assembling them, which was loads easier, and I'm pleased with my piping and my little star shaped stained glass windows (made from bashed up boiled sweets). I especially like the flake chimney with it's topping of snow.


But I think I may buy a kit in future - I'm sure homemade tastes better but it seems to me that the gingerbread house is more about the fun decorating with sweets rather than the quality of the gingerbread underneath. 


The kids are allowed to demolish it on Christmas Day but I just want to look at it a little longer because it is very pretty. 


Merry Christmas my friends. Thank you for you friendship and support, for reading, for your comments, your interest. I hope you all have a very happy and peaceful break.


36 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas! And a very Happy New Year!
    Your gingerbread house looks fabulous! I don't think I will ever try doing it, too complicated for my patience. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your gingerbread house is beautiful! We're making ours today. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your family. Take care and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That house looks amazing! Happy Christmas to you - hope you all have a brilliant time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happiness to you all, and enjoy the treats and time off! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your house, we made one from a kit one year and even that was a lot of work. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas to you and your family! Your gingerbread house is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy holidays to you and your family. What a beautiful gingerbread house! I especially like the icicles and chocolate roof tiles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm impressed! Wishing you a wonderful time xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas....thank you for your wonderful blog...I enjoy it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Merry Christmas! Your gingerbread house looks amazing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merry Christmas to you and your lovely family,
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your gingerbread house is absolutely brilliant. We made one a couple of years ago, there was SO much of it we couldn't get through it all, although it was delicious, especially the bits with chocolate on. Try popping a night light in there for a minute or two to take a photo, it will look magical all lit up. Don't melt it though! I hope you and yours have an absolutely wonderful Christmas Gillian. See you on the other side. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. You always do so many things with your children... Your gingerbread house is better looking than the kits that we had in Canada!!! Have a fantastic Christmas day! And a lovely rest after Boxing day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Merry Christmas, I hope it is a wonderful time surrounded with the love of your family x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Merry Christmas! Christmas Eve at your house sounds great. I just remembered the prosecco, thanks for mentioning it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Merry Christmas! Have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. merry xmas to you and your family x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones!
    The gingerbread house is fantastic - it looks as if you'd had many years of practice. The stained glass windows and the chimney are great details! Not sure I'd want to demolish it at all if it was my gingerbread house, not even as a kid :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunning, mine fell apart! You must be really proud of this. Have a wonderful day. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your gingerbread house is amazing. Have a wonderful Christmas with your family. xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's a lovely gingerbread house - is it still intact?! Hope you're having a relaxing, happy time Gillian. Merry Christmas and here's to a very good new year. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  23. The house is great:-) I hope you have a lovely time for the rest of the Christmas season.x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your blog, love your crafting, love your baking and comments on lit e in general. Merry Christmas to you and yours .

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mince pies! Mmmm...we had them at our English Christmas party this year. Hubby has to have those and his pudding. Hee Happy Christmas and a wonderful new year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I hope you had fun munching on your beautiful gingerbread house yesterday, and that your stitched gifts were well received, Gillian. We had a quiet happy celebration at home although three of my five little granddaughters have barky coughs/colds. Today at my monthly art group we sloshed around paint on paper intent on painting angels :) Happy rest of your school break! xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Merry Christmas Gillian. My stepdaughter made a gingerbread house with her children, but she bought a kit. It seems to be a popular Christmas pastime these days.
    My daughter and I were allowed to start on its demolition as we both love soft gingerbread.... I did feel a bit guilty!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Merry Christmas, I hope you are having a wonderful time xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi there - Happy Christmas - did you realise you have made your own 'Happy House' drawing from the top of your blog in gingerbread? There are no coincidences.

    Loved your article in the mag also - introduced me to that magazine also. xx Gill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gill, Happy Christmas to you too. Thank you so much for pointing that out to me, that's made my day! I didn't do that intentionally - I just followed the pattern in Rachel Allen's book Bake - but yes, they are incredibly similar. You are right, there are no coincidences.

      Gillian x

      Delete
  30. Oooh, I take it you watched And Then There Were None? I watched all three last night and am consequently rather on edge today. Bit bleak though wasn't it, in a good way if you know what I mean! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet, but it's on i-player and I an planning on watching it tonight! I've been told it's very good. :-) xx

      Delete
  31. I'm sure it tasted delicious, looks wonderful, I love flakes so I'd be eating the chimney first.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the gingerbread house! So festive! X

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.