Sunday 21 June 2015

Make, Bake, Sew, Grow

Thank you so much for your suggestions on how we can continue to improve and add character to our garden without spending a fortune. You are all so full of imagination and creativity, it always astounds me and you gave me lots of good ideas on how we can garden on a tight budget. Will there ever be a time when we are not "on a budget" I wonder...? And thanks for all your comments lately, I do appreciate them and am sorry that I have so little time to read your blogs. At the moment it seems there is time to either post or read, but I still love blogging as much as ever and am very much enjoying my Make, Bake, Sew Grow posts, the planning and the writing. The second week at work went well and I wasn't quite so exhausted at the end of each day as I had been the week before. Slowly, as a family, we are getting used to our new routines. 

{ Make }

I made an addition to The Green Wall in the porch with a beautiful framed watercolour print of a rose, an ebay score at just a few pounds.


It's starting to come together. The framed fabric hoops are just a cheap and fun way to add interest and they are actually really annoying as they fly off the wall whenever a gust of wind blows through the open front door, but eventually this wall will be full of white-framed floral prints, like a green house!



{ Bake }

No cakes lately, and I've missed baking them. The kitchen activity is firmly based around meals. We ate salmon baked with lime, ginger and garlic the other night, with vegetables, rice noodles and some delicious supermarket sauce. I could eat food like this every night.


John made a spectacular vegetarian lasagne, prettied up by the addition of tomatoes and basil. As well as looking colourful they were a delicious addition to the topping when the cheese went all melty and crispy.


{ Sew }

I made a cushion cover. 


This is always happy news because I'd hate to think our house is under-cushioned (unlikely) but I'm extra pleased with this one for two reasons. First, the fabric. I found two napkins in the bargain bin at John Lewis after just Christmas and bought them purely because I liked the pattern on the fabric so much. They are by a brand called MissPrint and they are very much my sort of thing, with their stylised natural patterns and slightly retro, Scandinavian feel. Apparently these are trees but I thought they were feathers.


But the other reason I'm happy is because it has a zip. My first zip! A few weeks ago, a family friend very kindly spent an afternoon showing me how to put one in properly - with basting and everything, no slap dash half measures - and now there's no stopping me.


I'm still working on Bella's blanket here and there, but it's getting so big and so warm, that work has inevitably slowed down for now. I'm half way through and it's already huge. But  I was -still am, actually - so disappointed that my blanket is not quite big enough for our bed (it perches there, rather than drapes) so I'm making this more than big enough.


I had to stand on a chest to get it all in one photo.



{ Grow }

Discovered in the front garden, in a tangle of bushes - roses. Three, to be exact. I've no idea what kind but the pink and yellow colour is enchanting and the smell is, of course, amazing. 


And it's always extra-gratifying to have flowers from the garden in the house, even if you didn't plant them yourself.


Wishing you all a very happy week ahead. 

*

{ Make } Something for my home.

 { Bake } Something from the kitchen.

{ Sew } Something crafty.

{ Grow } Something in my garden

*


37 comments:

  1. How clever to use napkins for a pillow cover, I like the idea of putting a zipper in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your cushion cover! I think those trees could definitely be feathers ;). Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought they were ice lolly shapes on the cushion. Your fabric hoops look v pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your cushion! Here's an idea for your blanket. Why don't you add a huge border around it. You could even make more granny squares as part of a border. Or just take off the border and add more grannies. It's so annoying when things are too small. I have that problem as well with a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think when autumn rolls round I'll buy some more yarn and increase the border size. It's so annoying to have it nearly big enough but not quite!

      Delete
  5. You are right about the cushion fabric. It is yummy. Modern yet retro and congertaulations on the zip. It looks like a great job. Is the rose the one called "Peace"? Garden roses smell so much better than shop bought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so clever my dear friend... Who would've thought to use 2 napkins to make a pillow and your house is looking great !!! Wonderful job !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your day must have more than 24 hours, what with all the make, bake, sew and grow you still manage in spite of working!
    I really like the cushion cover fabric. It would make nice curtains, too. Not that I am a curtains person, but if I were, then I guess I'd go for this type of colour and pattern. Whether they are leaves or trees is up to interpretation... Have you ever noticed how a tree's overall shape follows that of its leaves, as long as it is left alone to grow as it wants?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely cushion and the blanket will be gorgeous, it's so cold here I could do with it! How is the job going? I was just thinking about how much change you have had recently! Have a great week. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dinners look very inviting indeed. I am not allowed to make vegetarian lasagne, my older kids are totally shocked at the mere mention of it. Shame, because I really love my own version of vegetarian lasagne. Installing a zip is so satisfying, isn't it? Have a lovely week. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have been busy, I especially like the clever idea of turning napkins into a cushion cover. Glad work is going well. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great makes, your zip looks really neat and I thought feathers too!. Have a lovely week. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving these Make Bake Grow Sew posts, and I think it's fantastic that you are still managing to blog whilst working, I don't think I could manage it! X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your cushion, I have tried several times and failed to put a zip in :( you have inspired me to have another try.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are doing well fitting all this in around family and new work commitments. The cushion is great, love the fabric, so cute! The blanket is fantastic, such nice colours. Loving the greenhouse wall. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can just see you pouncing on those napkins when you found they! They have made a fab new pillow.
    Good to hear that the second week at work was a little less exhausting than the first.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the framed fabric circles on the wall. So pretty and so clever. Could you glue weights inside the frames to stop them from moving in the wind? Thank you for the inspiration! ~Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  17. We cooked salmon with lime ginger and garlic last night for our dinner and this afternoon I've just read your post and find you've done the same so , snap!
    Your cushion looks great and your green wall adorned with pictures looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry but I'm still amazed that you fit any of this in with a job too! Love the cushion and the green wall is looking fab already, I can see your vision coming to life! The dinner looks crummy too :)

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Gillian,
    I am loving your green wall so much. I think it's bold and beautiful, especially as it fills up with all those lovely framed pictures. Can I say that I always envy you your husband's cooking prowess. Marc is bloody useless. I'm hoping that moving into his new flat in Poole will mean he starts to cook again. I love this blog. Always lots going on. Always upbeat ad positive.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well done on sewing your first zip. The cushion looks fantastic. I like MissPrint too. I have one of their tea towels and I'm planning to make it into a cushion cover. Glad to hear your all settling in well into your new routines. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A porch full of framed flower prints sounds wonderful. The veggie lasagne is making me hungry and I'm very envious of your new zip inserting talent - I can only just about cope with the envelope style of cushion! Have a lovely week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've had a pig of a day (involving a mug of coffee over my MacBook...) and your post has had a calming and uplifting effect. Your photos do that - lovely things beautifully shot. Thanks Gillian. I'm glad you're managing the work/life conundrum. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad work is settling down - a lovely post as always and I'm really enjoying your green wall. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hate the thought of being under-cushioned! I thought the print looked like feathers too xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the blanket! And good on you with the zip! Your progress is always inspiring...if Gillian can do it, then why can't I?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the blanket! And good on you with the zip! Your progress is always inspiring...if Gillian can do it, then why can't I?

    ReplyDelete
  27. The entryway with the green and the white frames is so lovely and striking! The rose looks like it may be a Peace Rose. Which is also lovely. Check the base of the rose plants and see if the is a tag to say what it is.
    I also could eat like that every day. And I think maybe I shall endeavor to. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  28. Loving the porch pictures, inspired and inspiring as always. When I was working the thing I found most useful at meal times were the read made sauces. Of course some are waaaay better than others but they help enormously in providing a decent meal at the end of a long day.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yay for the zip! I did a tutorial on zips and got so many good responses. I love these posts it seems to sum you up all in one go. One stylish, happy mum I say. Love Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Well done on sewing in a zip. Bella's blanket is looking so well already. Could you not increase the border on your own blanket to make it bigger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might. I was so happy it was done I didn't want to ever work on it again, but I think I might buy some more yarn and increase the size. Good advice, thank you!

      Delete
  31. I love your green wall, such a nice idea to fill it with floral prints. Your cushion looks brilliant too - so clever to use napkins. xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love that cushion cover. What a nice fabric!
    And I can remember the first week when I started working full time. All I did when I came home was sleep, I was so tired all the time! It's just something you have to get used to! Glad you like your new job!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love everything in this post: the flower wall, the salmon and lasagne, the blanket, the cushion cover.
    I've had my eye on some MissPrint duvet covers from John Lewis, the patterns are really pretty.
    Glad you're settling in to work and to the new family routine.. I spent a day in the school I'll be working in in September and I came home totally exhausted - and that wasn't even a full day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I LOVE that cushion. Apparently, I'm not to get ideas - we have too many here already...have you ever heard anything so preposterous? :-) Loving your green wall. That lasange looks divine. Glad to hear you're enjoying your new job and settling into those new routines. It's a big change for everyone. Have a great weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. a napkin cushion what a brilliantly clever idea!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.