Tuesday 9 September 2014

A Zigzag Chevron Cowl


Ever since I learnt to crochet, I have been both tempted and terrified by The Ripple. That delightful up-and-down pattern, made by increasing and decreasing stitches, has always appealed to me but I was so scared of The Dreaded Foundation Chain, the counting, the precision. But, as always, when you try these things they are generally never half as hard as you think they'll be, and so I am very excited and happy to share my new crocheted cowl with you today. 


It's not technically a ripple, but a zigzag or chevron design. The difference is that the points are sharper here whereas a ripple has softer, wave-like shapes, but the principle and pattern are very similar as far as I can tell.  I used this really excellent tutorial from the blog Meet Me At Mikes.*

Last January, I made this cushion, and found I was left with a lot of leftover yarn in small-ish amounts.


I really wanted to use those same colours in one project again as I think they work really well together, and some kind of scarf of cowl seemed the most likely outcome.


My zigzags are random in pattern and width, so that the cowl looks a bit different depending on which side you look at. I like this, and can be seen arranging and rearranging it in the hall mirror before I go out.

I know, it's not that cold yet, but I can be found wearing some kind of scarf or cowl on pretty much any day of the year, and one of the reasons I love autumn so much is all the cosy woolen accessories I can wear.

The join is pretty subtle - you can see it here, but once it's on it's not noticeable.



I really love how it turned out. The colours are not really "my" colours (what, no mustard yellow?!) but sometimes it's nice to have a change. I looks great with my denim jacket and my charcoal grey raincoat, and it's very warm and not at all scratchy. I know many people find wearing wool next to their skin very uncomfortable, and I do find that with rougher types of yarn, but cashmerino really is incredibly soft. Oh, and it doesn't pill either, another bonus.



And what about the pattern I was so scared of, The Ripple? Well, yes, it is just as addictive and satisfying as everyone says. You get sucked into row after row, up and down, and just want to keep going. I can really understand why it's such an enjoyable stitch to work on as well as look at. The foundation chain can be tricky - I had to concentrate hard on that - but once you're a couple of rows in it becomes hugely gratifying to work on. One day, I will make a ripple or chevron blanket. One day.


*****

For those who are interested, there are some colour and stitch details below.



I used the following eight colours: (Seven are pictured above, plus some extra dark grey I had in my stash.)

340011 - Dark Brown
340049 - Taupe/Pale Grey
340054 - Rose 
340058 - Dark Grey
340100 - White
340204 - Baby Blue
340600 - Pale Pink
340607 - Pale Lilac

I used Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino on a 3.5 mm hook. The length before being sewn together into a cowl was 80 cm or 31 inches, and there were 80 rows crocheted in trebles. It is 38 cm or 15 inches wide from top to bottom, which gives 5 full up and down zigzags or chevrons. The total weight is around 200 grams which, since I used 8 colours, is around half a 50g ball of each colour.


* The pattern (which is actually for a blanket) is all worked in double stitches - I adapted it myself to work in trebles, and shorted the length of the foundation chain.

49 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! I do really like those colours, and i love the idea of using the pattern for a scarf, it works really well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour!
    Helen, you're all right! I think exactely the same thing! ... and be proud to wear your scarf!
    Have a nice day!
    Lucie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new cowl is really lovely - the colours are so nice together. I find it hard to wear wool so it's good to know that the baby cashmerino is so soft.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ripple is addictive; get the wool and make a blanket! Now is an ideal time to start because by the time it gets big, heavy and unwieldy to handle it's winter and you're glad to sit in the warm cocoon! I finished my last one in this post; http://angeljemscitycottage.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/ta-dah-ripple-blanket-finished-at-last.html and it really was a comfortable crochet project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we're all going chevron crazy, lots of people of crochetering it and lots of people are loving it.
    Your cowl looks great!
    I ordered my yarn yesterday to make a blanket for my daughter having never tried the chevron pattern but I'm eager to start and will take a look at the blog you recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous, Gillian. Love the colours. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so, so beautiful and really suits you. I'm in the middle of a ripple blanket for my eldest at the moment. It has been a bit warm to work on over the Summer but, now we're into Autumn, I have the urge to finish it. Maybe I'll have enough yarn left over for a cowl?!! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks lovely on you Gillian, I loved this colour combination when you used it for your cushion and it looks just as fab with the chevron pattern. Have a great week.
    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes! I love your cowl, I truly do. What a gorgeous combination of colours - I'm transfixed by that pinky red - 'rose' you say? It suits you so well. For the very first time this year, I've had a frisson of excitement about autumn and woolly accessories. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! I've made a ripple baby blanket and loved the stitch. Hadn't thought of using ripples for a cowl/scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow it's really lovely, I may give 'ripple' a go. I love the cushion as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's beautiful Gillian, and suits you so well ! I have yet to try the ripple pattern but am sorely tempted now !
    Have a good week , Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh I love that colour mix such gentle tones for Autumn, it's beautiful, last time I tried a Ripple I got in a bit of a pickle, but it's somehting I'd love to try again.
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely, love the colours and really love the relaxing feeling of crocheting a ripple blanket xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your cowl Gillian and love your blog!! Have been reading it since seeing you in Style at Home. Am crocheting my second cowl at the moment using some Rowan all seasons chunky which is really soft! I too, have always loved the "ripple" but never summoned the courage to try it. Thanks for all your posts. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your stitchery is beautiful! Love the colours in this cowl! How cosy that will be in the winter!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous colours and it does look really good with your jacket. I'd love to have a go at a ripple too but the starter chain puts me off - it's a good idea to start with something small. And I'm definitely one of those people who has to have nice soft wool - nothing scratchy or itchy for me! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's absolutely lovely Gillian, and the picture of you wearing it is great, it really suits you. I'm working up to rippling something I think, every time I see it I like it. I'm interested in what you say about the yarn as well. I always thought I couldn't wear wool, until I discovered a ball of merino that I could wear. So maybe I should try another brand and see if that is okay too. It could open up a whole new world of wool! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gillian, you look amazing with that beautiful cowl wrapped around your neck. Love the colors and you can never go wrong with Debbie Bliss,
    Hugs to you and job well done!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your cowl looks fabulous! Gorgeous colours, it really suits you. I'm not brave enough to try a ripple yet, but one day
    Love your cushion too x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love those colours and the fact that they would go with everything. I like the way you have made another item from the wool from another project - that is my kind of crochet. I have done the same on my post yesterday. Jo x
    http://joeveryday.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved the colours in your cushion when you first showed it to us, and I love them just as much in your cowl. They are not colours I would instantly choose to mix together but they work SO well together. Looks great! Lovely photo of you too
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nicely done, and it looks fabulous on you. I am in awe. I still can't crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a beautiful cowl Gillian. I have similar fears of the ripple and I don't think I'll start one any time soon. Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino is one of my favourite yarns, it is beautifully soft, isn't it?
    I am sorry you were too late for my August sock giveaway. There will be another one before the end of the year because I keep knitting socks without needing any :-) Cx

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's gorgeous Gillian and looks wonderful on you...you wear it very well.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely, autumny ice-creamy colours, I think it's gorgeous, Gillian and it does go well with your denim jacket. I haven't tried rippling yet, maybe I should grab my hook and just get on with it! Thanks so much for popping by my blog, it was lovely to 'see' you. x

    ReplyDelete
  27. It really suits you. A great choice of colours. I love rippling I find it is such a relaxing stitch

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi there, wow verrrry impressed with your chevron cowl, perfect and love the colours and it really does suit you---inspired I am, not yet tried that design in my modest abilities, however I do have some Autumn coloured wool waiting to be made into something beautiful.
    Thank you for sharing your design.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  29. Have you considered Lucy's (Attic24) ripple pattern? Amazingly easy and fun! I am terrible at patterns and I had no trouble. And no foundation chain! And it's free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelley - yes, I know the pattern you mean. I didn't use it as I wanted a pointy zigzag style rather than a wave like ripple, but when I ever do make a ripple blanket I will certainly be using that pattern as I've heard it's fantastic. Thank you.

      Delete
  30. Beautiful cowl Gillian. I love the colours you've chosen. Great selfie too :) I wear a scarf or cowl every day too...rain or shine. Hot or cold! I don't feel 'right' without one now! x

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love it, the colours are gorgeous and perfect for autumn! I want to make a ripple cushion cover with some leftover yarn once I finally finished some other projects. My new full time job is taking up all my creative time, so this might still be some time away. But one day, I'll try the ripple. Just as you did! ;/)

    ReplyDelete
  32. You're all set for Winter now Gillian - it looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Long ago I started a ripple blanket, but never finished it because I was unhappy with the colors I chose. How clever you are, Gillian, to take leftover colors from a project you enjoyed, and create this versatile cowl! I love the many ways you can arrange it and can imagine you will long enjoy wearing it. Thanks for sharing your idea. xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your scarf is gogeous ! Great project ! have a nice day !

    ReplyDelete
  35. A perfect scarf for our weather today...
    Miss

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is gorgeous Gillian, those colours work so well together. I too am afraid of the ripple, one day I'll have ago, you've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  37. It's gorgeous Gillian! Very pretty colours. I love the chevron stitch. It is pleasingly addictive. I haven't crocheted for a while now! I really must pick up the hook again soon. Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Yummy! It looks great, very pretty colours.

    ReplyDelete
  39. It looks great Gillian! And a very good way to use up leftover yarn. x

    ReplyDelete
  40. It's gorgeous, and I love the colors you chose! It looks very pretty on you!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love the cowl, the colours suit you, another success Gillian! I made lucy's ripple as my first crochet project and it wasn't too difficult (expensive though), and I have the bits leftover so this is a great idea to use them. Are you going to Yarndale? Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure yet - it depends on John's shifts. I'd like to. Are you? X

      Delete
  42. 5 percent of all torrent connections originate in The US.
    Pop radio looks like it's the land of hundreds, perhaps even millions,
    of love songs, of which a large percentage are
    wedding songs. One with the aspects that has been under increased regulation recently has been the use of Torrents
    (), helping to
    make finding a reliable VPN for P2P and torrents very important.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Though it is a less common method of removing hair at skin's surface,
    some consumers find it primarily useful for fine hair on legs.

    After several weeks of using this thing, I actually didn't have to deal with hair
    removal for several months. You can expect some red bumps
    and rash after a shaving, and thighs will turn reddish and sore.


    My website Epilatorreviews

    ReplyDelete
  44. Great blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from
    somewhere? A theme like yours with a few simple
    tweeks would really make my blog shine. Please let me know where you got your theme.
    Appreciate it

    Also visit my weblog :: Angry Birds Stella Hack

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.