Thursday 24 July 2014

The Colour Collaborative: July: Sail


The colours of sailing always have a faded, bleached quality to me. The bright shine of a freshly painted hull, the rich tones of teak decking, the bold colours on the sail - they are quickly diminished by sun, sea and salt. Sailing colours are all greys, whites and silvers in my mind, with the occasional pop of red from a Union Jack flag on the end of the boat or an orange buoy bobbing in the water. Add to that image the sound of seagulls and that particular whistling, clanking sound that rigging makes when it blows against a metal mast, and the smell of seaweed and the tight, sticky feeling that a day in the salty air leaves on your skin - and there you have my childhood.

Sailing was a big part of our life when I was little. My Dad, and his Dad and, thinking about it, quite a lot of the people we knew, sailed and our weekends revolved around tide times in the summer. We'd park at the sailing club, carry our bags onto the tender and row out to the mooring, neon orange life jackets tightly fastened, then climb aboard the boat. She was called Kittiwake and was painted brown and cream, really rubbish, boring colours to paint a boat, I remember thinking at the time. Then the outboard motor would get us out of the harbour until there was enough wind for the sails to go up, and then we'd be off. Sometimes just for a few hours, often all day.  A couple of times we slept on the boat overnight, that was brilliant fun (although possibly not for my poor parents who probably didn't get a wink of sleep, with three excitable girls on board too). I remember picnicking on little islands. If we ate on board, coffee would be made on the tiny stove in the kitchen area and drunk from dark green and red plastic mugs, I can see them now. There would be sandwiches and apples, and very often lardy cake. Once home, I would still be able to feel the motion of the water when I lay in bed at night. 

And so, given my coastal childhood and my slightly over the top love of the sea, it does rather pain me that the ONLY photograph I could find of a anything sailing related - both in albums and on my hard drive -  is the one above, which was not taken be me and is over thirty years old. The colours in this image are faded by time, but I don't know if my memories would be any more technicoloured. I remember grey skies more than blue, and white boats, white sails, water which looked greenish grey. I don't remember this photo being taken (I think I am perhaps four, and my sister Anna was two, which means that my youngest sister Katy was not yet born) but I do remember Anna's orange blanket-comforter which went everywhere with her, and how much I loved that red t-shirt with it's little red and blue boat on the pocket. 

And, given how unreliable memories can be, I now wonder if my recollections of those faded marine blues and greys, with the flashes of red and orange, are in fact informed by this photograph, rather than any actual events in my childhood.


*****


Don't forget to visit the other Colour Collaborative blogs for more of this month's posts, just click on the links below:

Annie at Annie Cholewa
Sandra at Cherry Heart
Jennifer at Thistlebear
Claire at Above The River

And July's guest poster, Leanne at Today's Stuff.

What is The Colour Collaborative? 

All creative bloggers make stuff, gather stuff, shape stuff, and share stuff. Mostly they work on their own, but what happens when a group of them work together? Is a creative collaboration greater than the sum of its parts? We think so and we hope you will too. We'll each be offering our own monthly take on a colour related theme, and hoping that in combination our ideas will encourage us, and perhaps you, to think about colour in new ways.

27 comments:

  1. The clinking of sails is one of my favourite sounds - isn't it funny how a sound can take you back to so many memories. I love your post Gillian, you describe things so well, and the photo is just gorgeous.
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you lived Swallows and Amazons - how awesome! ;) I always wanted to sleep on a boat, I should probably add that to a list or something.

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this post Gillian, it sounds just like Swallows and Amazons, how lucky you and your sisters were to have such brilliant adventures. Exactly the sort of thing I'd like to do for the boys one day. Picnicking on islands and sleeping on your little boat - wonderful. And name Kittiwake is perfect. Although of course I'm sure there was a bit of bickering and as you say your parents were probably a little short on sleep, but for a child it must have been fantastic. It's funny, these "Sail" posts and comments have suddenly made me long for a boat. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely post - it sounds like such a fantastic childhood experience. I love the way you describe it as faded and bleached. And that photo - gorgeous and very cute! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh look at you on the boat. What lovely childhood memories you have. Who cares if they might be tinged with other influences? It's all part of the mix I think. I often look back at family photos (I took charge of them after my parents split up, so I have thousands), and what I remember when I look at them is surely coloured. But as long as the 'memory' is a happy one, I guess that's all that matters.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post Gillian and I certainly knew that photo was of you. I love the way you've described the coast and your memories. You write so well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous photo; how the years fly by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely, well written post that really describes the sights, sounds and smells of sailing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know, perhaps not the orange, but the other colours are what I think of when you say sailing to me, the blue water, brown wood, bleached out colours, lots of white. What great childhood sailing memories you have! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That happens, doesn't it? There are so many things I think I remember from early childhood and it usually turns out that what I'm remembering is a small glimpse captured in a photo. I really like this photo of you and your sister. I see both of your children in your little face, your eyes and your smile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such beautiful description of the coast. and your memories.I really enjoy reading the collaborative posts it is lovely to read all of your ideas

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely reading. Whenever we visit somewhere on the coast we also visit the harbour, to sit and listen. A couple of favourites are Porlock, Minehead and Watchet in Somerset. They are nothing special, but, lots of holiday memories.....which is what it's all about!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beautiful memories! Thank you so much for sharing them, Gillian! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a fabulous photograph, and clearly a time capsule of cherished memories. I've never really had the opportunity to sail, although I've rowed quite a bit in the past, and I'm never happier than when on a stretch of wild shore (think Shetland rather than the Seychelles). This is one of those 'I feel I know you a little better now' posts. I loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Old photos are lovely to have, and possess a quality you can't capture with digital photography (no matter how many filters and effects you bung on top!)...
    I think the smiles say it all :)
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a beautifully written post and so atmospheric. Your childhood sounds idyllic though, in reality, I wouldn't have enjoyed being on boats (too seasick) but I do love looking at them. I can look at some photos and glimpses of memories will surface yet others are just photos and bring forward nothing - I wonder why? The photo of you and your sister is lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely recollection of your childhood on the sea ... oh, I've made you sound like a pirate but you know what I mean. Old photos are fantastic and those happy little faces tell a wonderful story ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful photo. Must have been such fun sleeping on the boat but your right maybe not for your parents hehe x

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a l lovely post Gillian, your description of your childhood adventures at sea is summed up beautifully by your wonderful photo.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely photo, to remind you of happy times x

    ReplyDelete
  21. So glad you have such lovely memories of sailing...even if they are in part embellished or faded in color by viewing photo details, Gillian. Your joy shines through your words, true and untarnished. xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that photo! It oozes love and friendship (though you probably had many sisterly spats too). I love the sea but not sailing I get awful motion sickness even on the Norfolk broads. In my childhood memories the weather was always sunny! The colours seem hazy, blue skies, golden corn,lots of animals, beiges and browns, the soft pink of the piglets. In my teenage years there was a strange bright orange phase (clothes, furniture and perfume!) xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is a wonderful photo, Gillian, it just looks like happy memories!! The colours, too, are so evocative of hot summer days as a child, you're spot on with the bleached comment, the sun-washed colours, even the bright orange blankie has a sun-blinded hue! Thank you for sharing your memories, Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a precious photo of you and your sister. I love looking back through photos of my brother and I when we were little.... happy times! Bella really looks like you in this photo!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fantastic memories Gillian. You look so happy in that picture with your sister. I had a similar t shirt that I also loved!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I absolutely adore the photo of you and your younger sister...such a priceless moment. Thanks for the sharing your lovely memories of the sea and sailing. The ocean truly is a memorable place.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.