Friday 11 July 2014

Friday Happies


I'm glad I have this routine, this anchor of sorts, in my blogging week as otherwise I don't think I'd have made the time to sit down at the laptop today. As I look back at the photos I see that it has in fact been a pretty good week, if a busy one, and that's why writing these Friday posts is so important to me. It makes me stop and notice, prompts me to record these moments, and then I remember and am grateful.

So here are this week's happies:

*****

1. Breakfast with John in a lovely new cafe not far from us in West Leeds, just after we'd dropped the kids off at school. I love the idea of going out for breakfast and I'd already looked at their menu online and chosen what I wanted. (I don't get out much.) I had their "Baked Beans" which was homemade baked beans (amazing) on top of toasted sourdough (my favourite kind of toast) topped with a poached egg and scattered with chorizo. Seriously good. I didn't eat again until about 4 pm that day. And fantastic coffee too, with the milk in cute little mini bottles - I'm such a sucker for details like that. I'm so excited that we finally have somewhere lovely to eat nearby!


2. Good weather, and the opportunity to be outside in that sunshine. 



I looked after Bella and her best friend yesterday as their teacher was on strike, and it was such a happy day. There was playing, baking, crafting, bubble blowing and general free spirited merriment. It felt like there was some education in there, just a different kind to what happens at school. And I even managed some crochet in the garden.


3. Crochet, specifically crocheting in these gorgeous colours. Oh, I love crochet, I really do. Looks at those tight little stitches, row after of uniform neatness.*



I don't normally understand what people mean when they talk about colour-play, I just like the colours I like, but when I was selecting these I thought...oooh, hello new favourite colours. The cool blue and gritty grey, the rose pink - just soft enough but not too sugary - and that sandy mustard, always a favourite of mine. 


4. The way these clothes hung on the washing line, in a row of glowing primary brights.



5. The simple act of preparing a spare room for guests. We haven't had a spare room for some years, using instead a sofa bed downstairs, and it was so nice to potter around making the space look pretty, buying flowers, folding towels. Trying to make a tiny bedroom look as welcoming as possible.


6. This amazing bumper parcel of goodies my parents brought me back from their recent holiday in France. 


Salted caramel sauce, a star fish, blackberry jelly (ok, Mum made that last week, that's not from France), divine smelling soap and....FISH SOUP! 

I am obsessed with this stuff. I could slurp it by the gallon, it is one of my absolute favourite things in the world. And this brand is from the Vendee, a region I love, the place of many, many happy childhood beach holidays. 


And bonbons!! Does anyone else like these? I can thank them for my excellent knowledge of the French words for most fruits. 


7. This pretty, elegant enamel coffee pot I found in a vintage shop in Saltaire today. I love the shape and that deep navy blue. A total bargain, it would have been wrong to leave it behind.



I promise to change the table cloth soon, it seems to have featured a lot here.


*****

Well done if you made it to the end. I always forget how relentlessly busy end of term feels. It's a bit like the run up to Christmas; extra assemblies, plays or performances to attend, fairs to bake for, teacher gifts to make or buy, extra things in the diary that I mustn't forget. And then the (very welcome and long overdue) arrival of my lovely parents for the weekend, which was all arranged at the last minute, leaves me running around thinking about shopping lists and spare bedding and forgetting to blog. And then another day passes, and then another, and it's hard to return. I'm going to blog LOADS next week! You have been warned.

I feel better for writing this post. I knew I would.


*****


* It's a curtain tie back for the box room, which was Angus's bedroom and is now a spare room - more on that next week.

50 comments:

  1. Yay lots of happies!!! I was about to write a happy post for the past two weeks, and then remembered that I don't have my camera. And my mobile is still but (hence no ig). But yours are lovely enough for me for this evening. Have a lovely weekend with your parents.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely post with very happy things! I always look up menus online and choose before I get there too, your breakfast sounded yummy :) And lovely things from your parent's trip. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, you had sunshine this past week, lucky you... In Belgium it was raining cats and dogs.. No, it was more like raining cows and sheep, such terribly bad weather...
    But your lovely photos make a virtual sun shine over here :-) !
    Ps reading the description of that breakfast you had, made me feel hungry !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look of that tie-back on the pink curtain - especially with the light shining through the curtain - such a lovely photo!
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  5. ERM....can I come and stay in your spare room??!??! Please!!! I can't wait to see more pictures!! It looks so beautiful! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely happies. It's been manic here too. I keep trying to write a post but there's not the time. Like you I plan more for next week! Tonight I found some photos, I'm partway there! I know what you mean about the lovely evenness of crochet, and I love the colours you've chosen, especially the pink. Not enough pink in my life, I'd really like to make things with pink in them. I hope you have a good weekend and a nice time with your guests. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, Busy too, but just checking in.. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loooove the colors in your crochet. Those are my favorites these days too! I've already got my big winter lap-covering project planned for this coming year, a blanket with some of those same colors in it. But mostly gray. :) The lighter shades will stand out nicely. I hope you have a lovely weekend with your guests, they're going to sleep in the prettiest little room ever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course we made it to the end, your photos are gorgeous. Love the presents your parents brought back, and I love that pitcher, have fun with your lovely crochet.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you do your Friday happies. I should try and post more often too. Love the colour in your crochet and I'd forgotten all about those lollies you showed called Bonbons. I don't actually like lollies but I do remember having them as a child. Love the new navy coffee pot full of flowers. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, your beautifully made tieback looks wonderful on that pretty curtain - your colour choices are very attractive, and I am really taken with how lovely your carnations look in that stylish mug in your prettily set-up spare room - how welcoming it all looks! I do like your enamel jug, especially with the pretty flowers in - oh, and your tablecloth is lovely, don't bother changing it :) Happy Friday indeed, Gillian, and thanks so much for giving us another little peek into your lovely home. Happy weekend to you and yours, xoJoy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful happies from the past week, Gillian! Your breakfast date with John sounds so nice! I absolutely love your little guest room! It looks so cozy and inviting, and I love your bed linens. Really lovely gifts from your parents's trip to France. Enjoy the weekend with your family! I look forward to reading each and very blog post from you next week. This space is always such a happy space filled with lovely photos! Oh, and please don't change the tablecloth... I adore it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, another lovely post! I do love to read your Friday Happies! We're off camping in the Vendee region i n a couple of weeks, so good to hear of your happy memories of the place. Might even look out for some of that fish soup....although fish soup?...hmm, I'm not really convinced......! Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well I may not be able to see the world through rose colored glasses, Gillian, but the photos and news you shared has me feeling that our lives are delightfully "in the pink" :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do so enjoy your Friday Happies. Love the new curtain tie back and absolutely adore the table cloth. Enjoy the sunny weather. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh these must make you happy - a happy home, loving family and beautiful things!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have a great wekend with your family. You've done a great job getting everything ready. Love your crochet colours.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have a lovely weekend with your parents. Love the crochet colours. Look forward to seeing it finished.
    Hope the sun shines.
    Jacqui xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy happy post as always, hope you have a lovely weekend with your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have really enjoyed reading your blog and all the things you been up to.

    ReplyDelete
  21. such wonderful happies, and I love the way you describe these posts as the anchor to your week - perfect x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loved reading this post. Nothing quite as nice as going out to breakfast with your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh, what a great idea for tie backs - love the range of colours you are using. I find rows of double crochet very satisfying too. I have really enjoyed the glimpses into your week - thanks for sharing.
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Quite funny to see on your blog things that I buy in my store each week (I'm french and like very much fish soups). Your spare room seems to be very comfy, your guests are very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your Friday posts Gillian so much! Inspiring me to hurry up and get back to my blog ( just as soon as school hols finish and I can exhale) mel x

    ReplyDelete
  26. I now want: to visit Saltaire (it WILL happen); to receive some French goodies; to learn to crochet - this is a very important one - and to eat a cafe breakfast. It's the best meal out in my humble opinion...
    Love the pale green lamp in the spare room too!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh that breakfast has left me salivating and I love the idea of tiny bottles with milk in

    ReplyDelete
  28. Have a great weekend with your family. Your breakfast sounds wonderful and I love the mini milk bottles - so cute! xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely to catch up with your blog I have missed popping by x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lovely list of happies, enjoy your weekend, the guest bedroom looks super, very welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lovely happies. The coffee shop looks great, I love little touches like that too

    ReplyDelete
  32. These are lovely happies for this week Gillian. Looking forward to your blog post bombardment!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wonderful week happies and the guest room is a delight. As always I just love reading your posts and I feel like I know you a little bit better in each post, it I also understand that life gets busy sometimes... Hope you have a wonderful time with your family and enjoy each second :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lovely happies. I love your new coffee pot Gillian and what lovely goodies from your parents, especially the fish soup. Have a great weekend.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Going out for breakfast is such a wonderful treat.
    I love your new coffee pot.
    Hope you are all having a great weekend together.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Another beautiful "Happies" post - thank you! Enjoy your weekend with your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What lovely things your parents brought you! And I love that navy blue coffee pot! What an amazingly strong colour and it will look good with all colours of flowers in it from the pale pink ones here, to deep crimson, even autumnal golds and oranges.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Yes, I remember those bonbons from childhood holidays in France, 'framboise' was always my favourite! I love your Friday happies post, makes me feel happy and hopeful about what the future with slightly older children will be like!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I've never had the courage to blog so I keep a private on(?!) it now includes Friday happies. this week yay I've found another grown up who likes French bobbon tendres. We have a house (read building project) in France and every trip I 'get bonbon tendres for my pupils at school'. Needless to say, my pupils have NOT discovered these juicy chewy morsels of lusciousness, they never make it from the bottom of my school bag to them, Yours Peggy, who will one day retire and embrace blogging properly!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Enjoy your family weekend! Those colours in your crochet are beautiful. Lovely happies! Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love your new crochet colours and the coffee pot!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  42. So many bright and cheerful images and loving your gorgeously prepped room with flowers and tie back. It really is a bright and happy post. I am just the same I tell myself each week that I am going to blog, at least you are doing it! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  43. Your spare room looks lovely, I'm sure your guest was very happy with their accommodations. Love how you slipped that crocheted tie-back into the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I had a look at the menu for your new cafe and everything sounds yummy - having cafe envy right now! Your spare room is looking gorgeous too. Love the pink mug. x

    ReplyDelete
  45. I LOVE going out for breakfast!
    I love the colours you used for your curtain tie back, dusty pink, mustard and grey are some of my favourites..
    And I love your enamel pot too, I have a red and an orangey yellow one.
    Hope you had a good wee-end! x

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh such great happies this week! I really like going out for breakfast too, it feels so decadent doesn't it? The guest bedroom is beautiful....hope you have had a wonderful time with your parents this weeknd. Love that coffee pot too, you are right, it would have been a crime not to buy it.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  47. Such lovely colours in your photos this week. What is the crochet going to be?

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hi Gillian :)
    How good it is to pass by and get inspire with the litlle things of life.
    I love friday happies
    I just wish i could learn to shoot like you;)
    Have a good week
    Lots of love
    Lulu

    ReplyDelete
  49. I love the coffee pot - what a great find! Saltaire id fab! The colours of your crochet (and the curtain tie back are beautiful) Such a good idea! I hope you had a wonderful time with your family.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.