Saturday 8 March 2014

Finding Buried Treasure


Thank you for your comments on my crocheted curtain tie-backs. I'm glad I can share these little forays into creative homemaking with you all, it gives me such pleasure. 

We've enjoyed some mild and sunny weather this week and that, combined with the increasingly lighter afternoons, has given the air a deliciously spring-like feel. I'm wary of declaring it spring too soon though - do you remember how late spring was last year? Winter just seemed to go on and on. We had a heavy snow fall right at the end of March, which I wrote about here, so I have to remember that these Yorkshire springs can be late and very chilly. But, that said, it's been really nice to have the windows and kitchen door open, to be in the garage and garden, sorting, clearing and pottering.  My trawl through March 2013's posts showed that we seem to do a lot of DIY during this month and this year has been no different. We've painted Angus's old bedroom, the box room, and turned it into a study/office. My lovely mum, who has been staying with us this week, has been helping me in the garden. The garage has been emptied, sorted and re-organised, and many, many trips have been made to the tip. (Can you tell I am making the most of having John around before he starts his new job?)


But, while doing these chores, we've uncovered some treasures which really made me stop and smile and reach for the camera. One is this ancient box of Derwent colouring pencils, which John found in amongst a dusty box of art materials in the garage. John remembers them well from his own childhood and thinks they belonged to his father. The language on the box is so robustly patriotic that I think they were far more likely to be from the fifties or sixties than the eighties, when John was a child. They are "British Made Throughout" from "British Colours" and "Based on the standard shades of the British Colour Council". The box tells us they were produced in Keswick, England - we get the picture. No foreign pencils here! The box has seen better days and is practically disintegrating now, but I think it's beautiful in it's faded, water-marked state.



The list of colours on the back reads like a poem. The Derwent range of colours included "Naples Yellow", "Geranium Lake", "Imperial Purple", "Delft Blue" and "Vandyke Brown", whatever that is. They are more like the titles of novels than names of colours.


The original pencils are long gone I hope - for surely they were all used - and the box now contains a mixture of pencils from Derwent, Rowney and WHSmiths, still in a rainbow of colours.




We found many other art materials in the box with these, including lots of watercolour pencils, with which the children have enjoyed experimenting. But what makes this old box particularly special to us is their lineage. John's father was a talented artist who, after attending art college, worked as a designer for a company which made carpets. If he was working now, we'd probably call him a graphic designer. John also has a natural skill for drawing although he'd tell you otherwise. But as, sadly, John's father died long before I met him, the children and I don't have many direct links to him. I like to imagine that he first used this box of pencils, and then John did, and now the grandchildren he never knew can enjoy them too.

35 comments:

  1. What a lovely find. Sudden flashes into a forgotten time are so precious and exciting and so nice that you have this link to your husbands father xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) what a lovely story.
    Hope you have a great weekend. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you have them. I have a box of Crayola crayons from the late 1940's, which belonged to my husband's father as a child. He is still alive, but it's still very nice to have them. The box even has his name, "Bobby," written on top, in very childish scrawl. It's so good to have old things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a real weakness for coloured pencils. Being Swiss, I grew up with Caran d'Ache colouring pencils and remember my first set inside my red zipped leather school pencil case. The pencils were hold in place by red elasticated loops. I love pencils with soft "lead" ( I don't know what the equivalent name for the insides of a colouring pencil is). I always buy a box or two in the agricultural cooperative when in Switzerland (never in a stationary shop because otherwise we'd have to remortgage the house). Because you can never have too many colouring pencils. Thank you for awakening lovely memories Gillian. Have a lovely weekend. Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the things I and my ex-schoolmates from a Swiss international school remember are those Caran d'Ache coloured pencils in our organised pencil cases (they really were cases, not just pouches!) :) It's still a big thing when children start school and get the matching schoolbag and pencil case for the birthday before the big day - that will be summer '15 for my grandson! My mum's birthday is in june and she used to get a new box of crayons and a new dress for her birthday and Christmas, rarely anything else - and I, too, always loved my tins of pencils as a child. Recently i splashed out on some new Caran d'Aches to play with... :)

      Delete
  5. What lovely family history. I love the old box. There is a pencil museum in Keswick that could probably help you date it accurately if you wanted to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful! I love family heirlooms of all kinds, especially those that were actually used by family. We just found out that Make A Wish is sending my sister and her family to London this summer. I am so excited for them, and envious! Hubby and I were already planning a trip over there, but not for five YEARS!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so lovely Gillian, I am sure that you will treasure this now that you have found it - much better than being in a box in the garage for sure!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a find. I also have a box of Derwent pencils and yes they would be from the 50's & 60's as I bought mine for 10d each and was lucky to be given the boxes for them by a lovely lady at the shop where I was buying them,. I'll post a photo on my blog today. 10d was my pocket money for a fortnight for a long time and I used birthday money as well to purchase them over several years, so you're find certainly brought back memories for me too. Glad your weather is beginning to seem Springlike as ours is still very warm with 30+ temps for the next 3 days. Yuk. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful find, a real treasure!
    Marion x

    ReplyDelete
  10. There was a box of Derwent pencils at my Grandparents house when I was little-I loved playing with the colours! It's fantastic that you have them as a link between the generations :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How beautiful to have that box, and the sentiments regarding it and the pencils!
    I'm so pleased for you that the weather has lightened up and you've been able to get on with some 'spring-cleaning' while the opportunity is there - and such a good time of year for John's new job to begin, all the very best again! Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lovely, and what a sweet find. I'd be so torn between encouraging their use and keeping them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Treasure indeed, what a lovely box. I do love a nice bunch of colouring pencils - so many possibilities. Hope you have a good Sunday. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous treasure and a lovely link to your families past ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely box and story. Anthony van Dyke was the leading court painter in England in the early 1600s. The van dyke beard style is named after him of course!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a find, Gillian. True treasures from heaven. Links to the past.
    Jacqui xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fabulous find and a lovely story. Sarah xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely thing to find. I love old packaging and it's extra special having the family link. Garage clearing is also on my list - we've only been here almost 5 years but it's amazing how much stuff accumulates in that time! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh what a treasure to find. I love the box, and weren't we proud in those days to actually be british let alone actually manufacture something here!
    It is lovely that the family link continues. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the box. There is a fabulous pencil museum at keswick which celebrates the company and a nice pictorial history on the website. First dyer went pencils were made in 1938. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beatutiful box Gillian!! Hugs :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fab find and you've captured the leaf beautifully! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fabulous find! Derwents were always The pencils to have when I was at school, but sadly too expensive for my parents to afford! Such romantic names for each of the pencil colours!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A real family treasure indeed. I'm liking the idea of May Green, it's the sunshine that's doing it!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, I love this post... Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a lovely find. We were in the Lake District a couple of years ago, staying just outside Keswick and there is actually a pencil museum there, which is far more interesting than it sounds! Have a good week.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, what a lovely find...treasure indeed! The box is beautiful, and I love the names of the colors...so different than the names we see on the Crayola crayons today.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, what a lovely find...treasure indeed! The box is beautiful, and I love the names of the colors...so different than the names we see on the Crayola crayons today.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a lovely story attached to these. And that box, wow! It's so perfectly sixties isn't it, John has to be right that they were his Dad's.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the names of the colours too - wonderful!
    Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the way they look used and treasured and that they offer creative connection in your family, Gillian! Thanks for posting. xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.