Wednesday 5 March 2014

Crochet Curtain Tie-Backs

There is something about March which makes me start tinkering with the house; looking at rooms anew and finding ways to refresh them, or improving corners I don't like, just generally pottering and creating. 


This is the window in our bedroom. We bought the curtains from Habitat in 2005 the day after we moved in; there were no curtains in the entire house and we bought a load of ready made ones in a hurry. I don't much like them but they are warm and block out all the light which, when it comes down to it, is all you really need from curtains, and that's why they've stayed there for the last eight years on that curtain pole (which I also dislike).

New curtains or a blind would be nice in the future, but in the mean time I have yarn. I showed you this square on Sunday. I've been working on these for the last week, crocheting up two or three a night.


I believe it is in the rules that, when making granny squares, you must arrange them in various different patterns and piles, just because.


But I had an idea to make some strips with which to tie back the curtains, and so I settled on two rows of six.


I blocked them, sewed them together and added a double crochet border. Using a strip of chain stitches, I created loops to attach the crocheted strips to the hooks. The shorter loop faces into the room and the longer one is behind the curtain, so that most of the granny squares were seen in the room, not hidden from view.


I used these stick on hooks which I bought in B&Q. I use the smaller ones a lot for things like fairy lights or bunting, but thought I'd try these larger ones since they aren't holding any weight, and I didn't have to pester John to get the tool box out, even better. Get me, all independent with my stick on hooks!


Here's the window now. Not a massive difference, granted, but the curtains have a little more shape and detail than they did before, and a little homemade love.


I love the pattern. I've got a thing about circles-within-squares at the moment. It's from Susan Pinner's book Granny Squares and I used RICO essentials cotton DK yarn with a 3 mm hook. It was my first time with this yarn and I like it a lot, it has a subtle sheen to it and the depth of colour is nice and strong.


I also finally got round to hanging this map print, bought from Tynemouth Market last year. Isn't it funny, just a print and a plant and two strips of crochet and I feel like the bedroom has a new lease of life. 


I am happy with my tie-backs; the pattern is decorative enough without being overly fussy and feminine, and the blue and white pick out the same colours in other parts of the room, but without being too matchy-matchy, I hope.


So, crochet. It's not just cushions and blankets. It can be curtain tie-backs, table runners, place mats, coasters. It's such a versatile craft and so well suited to things for the home, which I think is why I enjoy it so much.

I have an idea for a table runner, in cotton again, but I'd probably need to make it at least 6 squares wide by, say 30 long...which, at 180 squares, feels a bit too much like making a blanket (and I've already got one of those on the go) so maybe I'll just stick to my tie-backs for now.

50 comments:

  1. The tie-backs look stunning! It's amazing how something relatively small can make such an impact, and the other small changes you've made are lovely too - it's so satisfying when just a few changes make such a difference!
    Enjoy your "new" bedroom!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely new accessories giving your bedroom a new feel. Little things make us happy.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the tie backs look great and really make the curtains fab. I think that dark curtains are a must for blocking out the light. I adore the print and use those hooks everywhere

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant Gillian, I love your crochet tie backs. I love tie backs of any sort, they just make curtains such a nice shape I think. Yours are lovely and your bedroom looks great.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gillian
    Such a clever idea ! I can see that your head is full of planned projects and ideas - the best way to be I reckon.
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look really great - and the colours fit in well. I love Rico cotton - one of my favourites. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dislike the curtains in my lounge. when we redecorate that are finding a new home. love the blue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look really nice. This was a really clever idea, it's functional and adds so much charm. I love that print too, the colors are so soft. That's probably my favorite thing about maps, actually, they're always such pretty colors. The orchid is beautiful, I think it ties in the color of the curtains.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Small things really do make big differences. I love the blue colour, so pretty. Learning to crochet is on my wish list for winter. I tried and failed last winter but with so many inspirational clever crocheting women out there, I will not give up! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's absolutely all it takes, a little touch here, a little touch there. Such a clever idea and the perfect colour choice for your room.

    Hxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Gillian
    What a perfect touch for your room! The tiebacks are lovely - congratulations!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a clever idea! Love the crochet motif and the colours you've used.
    Marion x

    ReplyDelete
  13. They're brilliant, they've really finished your curtains beautifully. And the print and orchid are lovely, I know what you mean about a new lease of life. Little touches bring a new energy to a room I think.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are fab. as it the print and pretty orchid
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the tiebacks...they are such a nice compliment to the dark drapes. The little touch of blue is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The tiebacks are great Gillian, they make such a difference to the window and tie in very nicely with your quilt. Enjoy the rest of the week.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Gillian,

    I love them. And I totally get the feeling of a little re-arrange or cheap and cheerful update. It works wonder for me. I moved the bread bin from one side of the kitchen to the other today, and it made me very happy. I can admit that feeling no shame whatsoever ;)
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your tiebacks look great!! You are right that it is amazing what a difference a simple change can make!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the look of these Gillian, beautiful. Myself I am anti curtains full stop, we have some blackout roller blinds in the kids rooms and new high louvres in our bedroom so no blinds at all. Woohoo. mel x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love them! They really complete your window treatment, and add a nice, personal touch. I wish I could crochet! I love your map print, and the new orchid is so tropical and gorgeous. It's one of my favorite flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very clever, Gillian! [I immediately wondered what our floppy dining room curtains would look like with such a pretty and practical embellishment :) ] I love maps and like the whimsy of yours framed behind your gorgeous orchid. It is fun and refreshing to change bits of our environment, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very fun Gillian! You are up cycling and remodeling your own house by sprucing it up,

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fabulous spot of colour. Love the pattern and the colour choice looks so fresh. Blanket to match perhaps?! Though blankets mean taking out a bank loan. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. They made such a difference tying in the rest of the room to you curtains fab idea I've seen crochet tie backs before but not with granny squares love it! Your print is beautiful too x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous pet, you are very clever x

    ReplyDelete
  26. They are dandy, very clever. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are brilliant and really complement your colour scheme. You have a really good eye for colour and touches of lightness. The orchid and print are also an ideal subtle splash of colour but still in keeping with the overall theme.

    You've inspired me to go and look out the multi-coloured crochet flowers from IKEA that I'd intended to use as tie backs and never got round to. Heaven knows if I'll find them again if they are in the spare room of despair!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Glad there is someone else out there, that don't like the curtains they have. We inherited ours when we bought the house and I may actually swap a couple to other rooms for the time being, but I do like your idea with the crocheted tie backs. It all looks very fresh. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a fantastic idea. The squares are just so clean and crisp looking - beautiful. And the color scheme makes them not too feminine like you said - your husband shouldn't object! Great idea for the wall sticky things - I am always nervous about putting holes in the wall - what if I change my mind in the future?!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great idea!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  31. They look wonderful and such a great colour match for your pretty room as well as giving the curtains a 'lift' - and did you make that delightful quilt on your bed? I've heard good reports about the Ricco essentials yarn - must give it a try one of these days, thanks Gillian! Joy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy - yes I did, a few years ago. It was my first (and only) quilt and is very full of mistakes, but I love it all the same. x

      Delete
  32. I think they look absolutely brilliant. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  33. So that's what those pretty little squares were for! I love the tiebacks, they are beautiful and useful, so a perfect make! They suit the room wonderfully, very clever! Oh, and I am absolutely *addicted* to those sticky hook thingies, they are much faster and easier than me asking hubby to help... ;-) Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love these. I looked through this post last night but didn't comment, then today as I was wrestling with my lounge curtains(no room for the tie backs) I thought, 'I need to do a Gilllian!' I really must. I love these colours together too x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lovely! The colors you have chosen get well all together. It does give your bedroom a pretty atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  36. The curtains look great, nice and bright and fresh, maybe you could crochet a decorative top for them o feel better about the pole at the top......

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love the colours you used and they look wondeful. Have a great weekend, Sarah xo

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love the tie backs and the colours you used to make them. They really tie the room together. It's amazing what a few changes can make to a room. I love the idea of the hooks too...why didn't I think of that for fairy lights? Have a lovely weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  39. they look great Gillian! As I said before, I'm amazed by your crocheting skills x

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great idea, they look really effective.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Curtains are such a pain in the neck! I have some I like and some that are still just there because (sort of like yours). Nice ones are deadly expensive because whoever makes them knows they are a one time buy unless you're a decorator. I have a crochet tie-back too. One. Haha. It is just a funny little "get something to hold that curtain" rather than something nice and planned like yours. I always love your attention to detail! So admirable.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Your bedroom looks so fresh and cosy. Ours seems to have been piled high with boxes for ever ... a ton of stuff that was displaced by a major sort out that I've never got back to ... I must seriously do something about it! Meanwhile it's lovely to vicariously enjoy the pretty spaces you share on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love what you have done, it so simple but adds so much to the room. You are brilliant.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  44. I think they look lovely-it gives such a fresh, simple beauty to the room :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hello, I am happy to have found your blog via 'Style at Home' mag! I'm a newbie to crochet but really enjoying it so far and love how it can be used all around the home - these tiebacks are a great idea! Looking forward to having a nosey around the rest of your blog, Tracy :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.