Thursday 27 February 2014

The Colour Collaborative: February - Storm


Storm: A violent disturbance of the atmosphere with strong winds and usually rain, thunder, lightening or snow.

This is Skipton, on the very edge of the Yorkshire Dales, last week. It was a blustery day and there were strong, icy gusts of wind and fast moving clouds. The light levels changed constantly throughout the day from oppressively dark to glaringly bright, as the winter sun reflected off the rain covered landscape. Not a storm, exactly, but definitely stormy

**  **  **  **  **  It was a spectrum of greys.  **  **  **  ** ** 

First, the dark, almost purple shade of the oppressive, glowering sky, ready to unleash another torrent of rain over an already soaked landscape. The slate grey of the wet roof tops and buildings are leaden and heavy, absorbing all light.


Now the metallic platinum, silver and pewter of a brightening sky and wet pavements. The rain has eased slightly, it's time to jump in the puddles.


And then the sun comes out. It's incredibly, startlingly bright. I squint and wish I had my sunglasses. Crystal sparkles hang from every tree, balancing, quivering on branches and twigs, luminous and radiant. 


A patch of blue sky emerges from between the clouds. You can almost feel the relief, the lightening of the atmosphere.


Sunlight reflects off a stream in the distance, mist hangs in the valley and the greens of the hills emerge again.



There is something a little bit dangerous about being out in bad weather in the countryside. City life here in Leeds often gives us the illusion of protection from the worst of the elements; buses and trains generally still run, you can walk to the shops - normality returns very quickly and you are never truly cut off from anything. But out in the Dales, when you can see the rain falling on a distant hillside and slowly moving in your direction, and feel the wind picking up, there is that instinct to seek shelter. Of course this was not a storm, not at all, just your typically changeable wet/dry/windy mix of British weather, but it was dramatic, and it was colourful.

What is The Colour Collaborative? All creative bloggers make stuff, gather stuff, shape stuff, and share stuff. Mostly they work on their own, but what happens when a group of them work together? Is a creative collaboration greater than the sum of its parts? We think so and we hope you will too. We'll each be offering our own monthly take on a colour related theme, and hoping that in combination our ideas will encourage us, and perhaps you, to think about colour in new ways.

If you'd like to read posts by the other Colour Collaborative bloggers, please follow the links below:

Annie at Knitsofacto
Sandra at Cherry Heart

And we have two very talented guest bloggers joining us this month, please do go and say hello!

Jennifer at Thistlebear
Claire at Above The River

36 comments:

  1. A great selection of photos that show there are many shades of every colour. I really love that last photo, you've captured it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photographs are beautiful very very talented, Gillian :)
    Kasia from Poland

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos. Me, I have had enough if storms for a while, I am enjoying whiter skies at the moment they feel less heavy and oppressive. I do love the storms of your pictures, but ours never do that round here....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic photos Gillian, you've perfectly captured our beautiful weather. I do so love the stormy sky and all of the light and colours you've described. The puddle pictures are great, and you've reminded me how bright the sun is on the wet ground. Wonderful. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gillian, what a beautiful set of pics you've taken, and the little asterisks in the various shades of grey are rather clever too - a wonderful post, thank you! Joy xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos are amazing Gillian! Loving the moody greys and silver, particular love the photos with the Kids running down the street. Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful pics, you've really captured that wonderful, 'the storm has just passed' feel. I could have been there!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are some really atmospheric pictures there so evocative of the UK these last few months, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos, Gillian and very descriptive words to go with them. Really enjoyed that post, though Skipton made me feel homesick. My sister-in-law once said I should open a quilt shop there. Love the feel of the town, castle and canal. Thanks. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love the atmosphere captured in your photos. I adore grey weather I know I must be mad but I love that the weather outside in mad and I'm at home with the fire lit under a blanket ,hooking away .Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the almost black and white photos of your children running! Nature does provide us with a whole palette of color.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely photos and a great blog we get very stormy skies up here, happened to be down in Leeds last week for a couple of days and I got to wear my sunglasses :-)
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are great pics, they remind me of Manchester for some reason lol...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoyed your photos and writing. The sky was so dark! It looks so ominous. I love the photos of your children on the street, they seem to be enjoying themselves a lot. My kids love when it rains because then they get to play in puddles! It's a very rare treat for them and I usually indulge their wishes. I love that last photo looking out toward the hills, really beautiful view.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous images! A symphony of greys. Absolutely my favourite colours :)

    And your words really capture the 'weight' of stormy weather.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Gillian, you have really captured the spirit of the greys and atmosphere. Really impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful, mysterious and eerie colours, you captured them beautifully. I love mulling over the palettes after each Colour Collaborative post, they are simply wonderful! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such beautiful photography. Is that Bella and Angus running down the road?

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful atmospheric photos. I love the one of the children - it could almost be a black and white shot - amazing light. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow amazing photos Gillian so powerful and tell a story so well x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous atmospheric photos. I love how you have described the storm and aftermath. Also the photo of Bella and Angus running down the street is great.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I absolutely love these color collaborative posts!!! The photos in this post are amazing...I especially love the one with the silhouette of a castle-like building on the edge of an eerie sky. You live in such a breathtakingly beautiful place. Thanks for sharing the lovely photos and well written narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You managed to capture smth dangerous in the air. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your stunning photographs again Gillian. You've captured all those different greys....like the paint advert (for a compnay whose name escapes me-not very good advertising) you can see in home and style magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really enjoy reading your Colour Collaborative posts… such a great idea! Those photos are wonderful, I especially love the sunny ones after the storm! x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful photographs and words Gillian ... I love these posts ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a lovely post- gorgeous photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I too, especially enjoy the color collaborative posts, Gillian. Your photos and narrative are a rich treasure of impressions of your stormy weather. I think you have helped me appreciate stormy grays more :) Thanks! xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dramatic pictures Gillian and your description really brings it all to life. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fabulous photos that capture the mood of storm and after perfectly Gillian!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi there!
    I've missed your blog so much but I feel like I still keep in touch a little as I follow you in Instagram, life just has a way of keeping us moms so very busy!
    I really love the first few photos, don't get me wrong, I love the sun and blue skies, but we have so many of them here in Texas that I'm drawn to the rain and the storms. I love the smell of rain and the smell of rain in England especially, it seems to a bit more musty there ... a bit more "old"... for lack of better words. The photos are beautiful, all of them.
    I wish you such a happy and a wonderful week ahead.
    Much love,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just wanted to say I made your beef and ale stew last week. Though I did cheat by using Auntie Bessie's frozen dumplings instead. I followed the rest of your instructions very carefully (cue laughing hubby as I stood stirring with one hand, ipad in the other) and the result was amazing! Thank you so much for posting the recipe- it will be a new family fave in our house.
    Tilly x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful weather photos. I love visiting Skipton, Dave's doesn't live too far from there so we often make a trip to Skipton when we visit.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.