Tuesday 31 December 2013

2013: A Year in Pictures


January: Snow and more snow. A wintry weekend away to the Yorkshire Dales; marmalade; cake; lots of snuggling under blankets and walks to and from nursery with the sledge.

February: Hearty food; my birthday; Valentine's biscuits. Kite flying and beach walking.

March: More snow; knitting; Easter and spring flowers. Painting the bathroom yellow and the bedroom white; hot cross buns.

April: A wonderful anniversary break in Copenhagen; the garden comes to life; spring cleaning. Weekends spent in the garden centre and doing lots of crochet.


May: Warmer weather; bluebells; Angus turns four. Lots of time in the garden and flowers in the house.

June: Long, light evenings; lemon curd; day-tripping to the Yorkshire Dales and the Northumberland coast. Making jam and picking wildflowers. 

July: Gloriously hot weather, a proper summer; buttercups; strawberries; gifts for teachers. Summer days spent at village fairs and lavender farms, and being tourists in London.

August: Busy and colourful; visiting family, visiting friends. A fantastic fortnight in France; sun, swimming and long, leisurely meals outside.



September: Back to school; the tomatoes are harvested; sunflowers. Picking blackberries; crochet and Yarndale; pickles and preserves.

October: Days out in the autumn sun; Bolton Abbey; apples; falling leaves. Blankets and cushions; pumpkins and nature tables.

November: Temperatures drop; Bonfire Night and sparklers; woodland walks; making Christmas gifts. Celebrating big birthdays and domestic pleasures.

December: Birthday and Christmas preparations; mulled wine and party bags; sparkle and glitter. Bella turns seven; food, family and coastal walks.



******************************************************

One of the best things about blogging is the way you can look back over old posts and remember things anew. It was especially fun going all the way back to posts from the beginning of this year, they seem such a long time ago now. I like the way a rhythm emerges from each month; without me intending it, certain images, colours and themes arrive and then leave again in the same cyclical way that the seasons come and go. 

I'm glad I write this blog. It gives me a place to record and celebrate the things that are special to me. It was fun to look back and see what 2013 gave me and I'm wondering what 2014 has in store. Should you want to, you can see my review of 2012 here. I'll put together a round up of this year's crochet, knitting, sewing and general creativity in the next few days. In the meantime. thank you so much for visiting and reading, and I very much hope you get as much pleasure from this space as I do. Will you join me in 2014? 

I wish you and your families much health and happiness for the year ahead! 





55 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Gillian. A lovely round up . I will certainly be following you in the New Year and hope its a really happy one x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love looking back at your year. Your photos are always really evocative and I feel like I'm there too. You did a lot of interesting and fun things this year. I've enjoyed following along with your family. I wish you all a happy and healthy 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading through your review of the year.

    Happy New Year to you all!

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many best wishes for 2014 Gillian. I have so enjoyed visiting your blog and will back again and again I'm sure in 2014,
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely review. I am sitting here collating crochet photos - I appear not to have been as organised as I thought. I want to do a "year in photos" too! Have a great evening and wishing you and your family a great 2014. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year Gillian ... here's to may more blogs in the New Year.

    Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely round up and look forward to 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your yearly round ups Gillian ... wishing you and yours a wonderful New Year full of happiness and fun ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always great to reflect back on our blogs Gillian, I always try not look back until the end of the year. a wonderful and happy, healthy new year to you all too xox Penny

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have packed in a heck of a lot in 12 months! Here's to a fab 2014. X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for these beautiful images!
    Happy New Year! Hope it will be great for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of course I will be joining you! I love tuning into your blog and spotting the mirror moments like my own family life. Happy New Year! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wishing you a happy, healthy and creative 2014 Gillian and I look forward to your blog posts in the year to come. Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year to you and your family Gillian, and what a lovely review of what seems to have been a year filled with lots of fun! Look foward to seeing you again in 2014. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy new year!! Hope 2014 will be a great year for you and your family!
    Looking forward to more lovely photos and posts from you!
    Marion x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gillian, wishing you and your family New Year blessings from just up the road.....fabulous post...looking forward to seeing you next year xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy New Year Gillian! I agree with you. What a perfect way to end the year by going back and seeing all the wonders that had taken place. May you New Year be full of lovely moments :)

    Sophie xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Enjoy your blog so much.
    Happy new year Gillian xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad you write this blog too. Happy New Year. Jacqui xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy New Year Gillian, looking forward to another year of visiting your lovely blog.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looking forward to sharing your 2014 happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A very happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A lovely round-up, Gillian - and here's to all that's wonderful in 2014. Wishing you and your lovely family a happy & blessed new year. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love looking at everyone's review posts.~ Happy New Year to you and your family ~ hope it's a good one for you all :O)x

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a wonderful way to end the year, I've loved looking through your lovely pictures and reading your blog. Wishing you and your family a happy and healthy new year....Caroline x x x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your words and pictures have given me so much pleasure this year, it has been a joy following your 2013 journey. Here's to a happy and creative new year ahead, I hope it brings you rainbows!
    Much love, Lucexxxxxxxxxxx
    ps we really must get together soon :o)xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. A very Happy new year- lovely posts and pictures, long may it continue:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a lovely year with beautiful pictures and words. I love how you make the most of every opportunity.
    Looking forward to sharing the year with you in blogland! x

    ReplyDelete
  29. A great collection of snippets from your year - lovely photos and memories. I love the 'recording' aspect to blogging and being able to look back and remember so many events through my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such lovely warmth in your photos, it's fun to look back isn't it? Happy New Year to you and your family x

    ReplyDelete
  31. lovely to catch up with your blog and such a lovely post - your photos are amazing so full of life - wishing you a very happy 2014 x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy New Year! Hope 2014 is good to you :)
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Happy New Year, Gillian! I love your year in review... just lovely photos. And yes, I will most definitely be following you this year! Your blog is such a happy one! I wish you and your family a very happy and healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lovely post Gillian and although I'm running a bit late I'd like to wish you and the family a Happy New Year and hope 2014 is a good one. I've done a re-run through my as well and will post a longer one over the weekend. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I certainly will be joining you here in 2014, your blog is so beautiful and indeed a happy place. Such lovely photos, you're right, it is nice to look back at everything you've done over the past months. Wishing you and yours a very happy New Year. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Happy New Year Gillian! I look forward to hearing what it brings you.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Happy New Year to you and your Gillian. Looking forward to reading more in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great blog,happy new year :)

    Visit http://becoolbepositivebeyou.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  39. A very big Happy New Year to you too! Loved your year in review - such a good idea :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm definitely coming along for the ride with you this year. I can't wait for all the wonderful entries you're sure to share with us in the coming months!!! Best wishes Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
  41. Beautiful pictures and a wonderful year. You left a very similar comment with me but I can't help but just echo your words, that it's been a pleasure to discover and follow along with your blog this year. I get such a lovely feel from this place you've made and I'm so looking forward to seeing what you get up to in 2014! :D

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a happy year!! For you and your readers too!
    Wishing you lots of joy and happiness and can't wait to see what you get up to in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Lovely pictures Happy New Year
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  44. Just wanted to say thank you for sharing your beautiful blog and to wish you a wonderful 2014,
    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  45. You've certainly had a full year! May 2014 bring you lots more good times x

    ReplyDelete
  46. What a year you have had hope 2014 is just as full!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Happy New Year Gillian!! A great review of 2013 and I am very much looking forward to joining you in 2014. Sarah xo

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love keeping a blog for the same reason, it helps count your blessings!
    Happy new year
    X

    ReplyDelete
  49. This would make a fun blog link up..have you considered it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, hit publish too soon. Happy new year, thanks for your lovely blog. Xx happy new year.

      Delete
    2. I hadn't, to be honest, I've seen it done in so many blogs I'm not sure I could really claim it! But it's a good idea. And happy new year to you too Andrea! x

      Delete
  50. I, for one, have been truly blessed by your blog and absolutely adore it.
    I hope that you have an amazing 2014!
    Much love to you, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  51. Happy new year to you Gillian. I've loved reading your very special blog and photography and look forward to every post. Have a wonderful 2014. x

    ReplyDelete
  52. I wish you and your family a wonderful Year 2014. I love your review, you have beautiful pictures. Yes, the good thing about writing a blog is the memory, which I lack very much.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.