Thursday 19 September 2013

The Colour Collaborative: September - Earth


There are lots of different ways interpret earth colours, once you start to think about it. They can be the colours of the landscape - browns, greys, yellows, oranges and greens. The colours of nature, subtle and muted. Or you have your pigments - ochre, sienna and umber, raw or burnt - those tones are fiery, saturated and heavy with colour. But the earth colours that I'm really savouring right now are the ones that were dug up out of the earth and turned into lunch. September is the month of abundance and harvest, of enjoying the last of summer while taking stock and gathering in for the autumn and winter ahead.

I think this is summed up rather well by the humble squash, in particular this fabulous Harlequin squash.


It has provided colour and variety in our lunches this week. Roasted and tossed in a salad with goats cheese and pumpkin seeds one day, then blended with chillis and eaten in a soup with rye bread the next.

To make a salad for two, peel and dice one small squash. Tumble onto a baking tray and drizzle with oil and season. Roast for around 30 mins at 180°C/350°F. 


Put some salad leaves on a plate and add the squash, some crumbled goats cheese and a handful of pumpkin seeds. I made a quick dressing from a little balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Eat while it's hot.


For the soup, peel and chop one onion and one squash. Saute for a minute or two then add one clove of garlic and one chilli, chopped. Cook a little longer then cover with vegetable stock and simmer for around 20 minutes. Puree in a blender until it's smooth then taste and season. Serve with a dollop of creme fraiche.


It doesn't have to be a Harlequin squash, any sort would do. Simple, versatile, thrifty, tasty and colourful, it's the best kind of seasonal food.

Don't forget to check out the other great 'Colour Collaborative' blogs for more of today's posts, just click on the logos below ... 
What is The Colour Collaborative? All creative bloggers make stuff, gather stuff, shape stuff, and share stuff. Mostly they work on their own, but what happens when a group of them work together? Is a creative collaboration greater than the sum of its parts? We think so and we hope you will too. We'll each be offering our own monthly take on a colour related theme, and hoping that in combination our ideas will encourage us, and perhaps you, to think about colour in new ways.

24 comments:

  1. Lovely looking soup, and such a pretty squash! I love the ones that are multicoloured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore squash, it is one of my favorites and perfect in a curry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, that salad is making me drool!
    I love the colours you've chosen, beautiful
    http://ahandfulofhope.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh Gillian - I love your Harlequin soup...a taste of the earth and Autumn.

    Nina x

    ps. I like to add cubes of cheddar to my pumpkin soup so it goes all stringy when you dive in a pull a spoonful out. N x

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh the goats cheese and roast pumpkin looks so yummy! Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm having a friend round for lunch tomorrow, and I just happen to have a squash and also goats cheese - thank you for sorting out our meal! ;-) Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oof, utterly delicious, comforting and very cheery to look at. Wonderful (hello fellow CC blogger!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful squash. I really must grow something like this next year. Your recipes look absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both meals look and sound delicious! Yum! Writes the woman who had two cappuccinos for lunch today ... think I need to get a grip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these collaboarative posts, Gillian.

    September is the month for 'humble' offerings - soup, stew, crumble. All from the garden if you are lucky.

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. The salad looks delicious but what I really loved about this post was your photos. You always have wonderful photos but these were just so professional looking they could have been in a recipe book - I lingered over them and particularly loved the pumpkin seeds. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post and photos. I really like the look of that salad.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pumpkin soup and any salad with goats cheese are winners with me ... love the earthy, autumnal colours you have chosen ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love roasted squash and soups made from squash. I often serve a soup like that on Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tasty and nutritious what more can you ask for ! Being lazy about cooking at the moment being on my own, but this is so simple that I don't have an excuse!

    ReplyDelete
  16. yum, those recipes both look delicious! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos and I love your take on the produce of the earth. Plus, that soup looks wonderfully tasty and comforting!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  18. As well as great colours, it seems to me that September has dibs on all the best food!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous photos, it is definitely squash time of year again, I think roasted squash and goats cheese are two of my most favouritist things to eat! I am so glad I have found your blog and added it to my roll so I don't miss any updates! Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh yummy looks delish! What a beautiful looking salad and soup just my kind of food. What a wonderful colour combo! Very interesting x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful post Gillian the colours are so autumnal yet so vibrant. The soup and salad looks delicious and I can't wait up try the soup, it's one of my faves, so thanks for sharing. Enjoy your weekend xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. What fantastic colours! Definitely going to try the salad recipe. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just caught up with all your posts from this last week, not sure where the time is going at the mo but for once its not being idled away on line!
    I'm sure the little hampers of edible goodies will be very happily received and if you keep your eyes peeled in the supermarket for special offers you could add some little things little crackers to go with them, but homemade cheese straws would be another nice little touch.
    Well done on the jelly strainer find, funny how these things pop up!
    I read a post on a blog the other day which used pureed butternut squash in stirred into a cheese sauce as a way of getting another veg into a meal without necessarily noticing it was there. I did this on Sunday in a chicken and cauliflower and broccoli bake and it was wolfed down with second helpings!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.