Wednesday 11 September 2013

Sunflowers



I picked the last of the sunflowers. They were starting to look a bit sad and droopy and, since the weather has turned so chilly, I thought it would make more sense to enjoy them indoors rather than out. It gave me such an enormous feeling of satisfaction to bring this big armful of flowers into the house. I grew these! They are easy to grow, I know, but still! I thought I'd have one flower per stem, but there were so many of them. They grew branches and just kept growing and producing more flower heads. After I'd shaken off the insects and pulled off the dead leaves, I divided them into two bunches. I put the biggest flowers, with their long, sturdy stems, in a cream vase on the dining room table. They brighten up what is always the gloomiest part of the house. The smaller, more spindly ones are in a little blue enamel jug on the mantle above the fireplace. The mantlepiece is always my favourite place to display things. I am always fiddling about with the bits and bobs I have up there, arranging and re-arranging. Don't ask me what that loo-roll tube covered in beads and sellotape is. Bella made it. I have no idea.


*****************************************************


Your response to the bramble/blackberry issue in my last post really got me thinking. My understanding has always been that a bramble is just a blackberry which grows in the wild. They tend to be smaller than the cultivated blackberries you can buy in the supermarket, which can be quite large - similar to the size of a cherry - whereas brambles are more like the size of a raspberry. It's confusing because the word "bramble" is often used to describe any kind of prickly, wild bush. Also, people (myself included) use the words bramble and blackberry interchangeably. If I say I'm going blackberry picking, then I suppose really I'm going bramble picking. And if I'd used that fruit I picked at the weekend to make some jam with apples, I probably would've called it blackberry and apple jam, as I did when I made some this time last year. But I wanted to call it Bramble Jelly because I think the name has a faintly old fashioned, autumnal feel to it. Plus it reminds me of the wonderful Brambly Hedge series of books, which I loved so much as a child and read to Bella now. I saw a recipe for something called Hedgerow Jelly recently, which could include blackberries or brambles, elderberries, sloes, damsons etc - whatever you find growing wild, I suppose. I am quite taken with the notion of making Hedgerow Jelly, as much because of it's evocative and romantic sounding name as it's potentially delicious flavour.


26 comments:

  1. Your sunflowers are gorgeous! Did you say they were the last of the season? Ours have not even bloomed...and not likely either!
    This year has been a disaster in our garden...such a small crop and hardly worth the trouble! Sad!!
    Blackberries are indeed larger tham brambles and that's about all we were able to harvest this year.
    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny how you think you know what something is called and you understand it totally, then you throw it out into the world and 1000 questions arise because of differences in knowledge and understanding. Great explanation though Gillian!
    Love the sunflowers, great to keep a bit of summer going indoors still. Is Bella's fireplace contribution a lantern or lamp of some sort perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. love sunflowers, they make me think about France.

    gosh I have no idea about bramble v black berries. I thought Bramble was the actual plant and the fruit was the black berry. Kind of like a horse chestnut tree and conkers.

    you learn something everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never managed to get sunflowers to grow and bloom! They are so pretty and bright. I might try again next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful sunflowers. I would love to try making that jelly, whatever it may be called in my part of the world, but I don't think the berries really grow here and it would be expensive to buy that many in the store. I'm going to watch for a sale on them so I can try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your sunflowers. I always plan to grow more flowers for cutting but never seem to manage to fill more than a couple of small vases.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous flowers, like the last rays of summer sun. And I might get round to hedgerow jelly - the girls found lots of bilberries as well as brambles last weekend (or do I need to say wild blueberries and blackberries? I'm bilingual..,). Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sunflowers are gorgeous! And they sure do brighten up a room. I love your cream vase and blue jug.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such bright and cheery flowers, they look so much more impressive indoors too.
    I always call blackberry picking brambling
    http://ahandfulofhope.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those lovely sunflower photos bring back such happy times for me, traveling around the Loire Valley with my husband in our pre-children days--sunflowers seem so quintessentially French to me now. And thank you for the reminder of "Brambly Hedge"--it was a TV show here in the states when my first child was still a tiny baby. I had no idea it was also a series of books--can't wait to look it up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like joy sunflowers remind me of summer in France and happy memories, oh and van gough of course ... Which also reminds me of happy holidays in holland. Thanks for all the happy reminders Gillian! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your sunflowers look lovely in the house perhaps I should bring mine in now. I like the toilet roll thingy my house is full of my daughters weird and wonderful creations. The hedge row jelly sounds interesting I have lots of elder berries that need using up x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the sunflowers they are one of my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The flowers look very chearful... especially alongside the decorated loo roll. (Made me smile!) Look forward to seeing your Hedgerow Jelly, I can just imagine it being presented wonderfully.. Mmmm Love your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The sunflowers are gorgeous, I love displaying them indoors as they're such happy flowers, they really brighten the place up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your sunflowers look wonderful. Nothing better to brighten up a room. Well fine for growing those, I had little luck this year. I do enjoyed your little bramble fact share, the kinda things my mind just loves. I personally think the word bramble is do much nicer to use and especially if you're making something. A useful fact I am sure very little of us really knew. As for the bramble stories , thanks for sharing this with us as I'm always after ideas for reading with the kids, something we all enjoy. Wishing you a very lovely week. Hope you recovered from seeing all that wonderful wool xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, I definitely have learned something. I thought Bramble was a special name given to the apples/blackberries mixture ;-)
    Your sunflowers are gorgeous. I have some cosmos and other flowers in my garden (I don't know their name in English) and I would never thought of cutting them and putting them in a vase to enjoy them inside until I read your post...
    And thanks for your visit over my "place".
    Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohhh look at that big bunch of happy! Lovely!

    I always thought the same as Sol - the brambles were the plant and the blackberry was the fruit. I shall have to go and read the comments on your last post!

    Love the sound of Hedgerow Jelly - is that a River Cottage one? I'm sure I've seen something similar in my RC Preserves book. Will have to dig it out.x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous sunflowers! We got lots this year too, some are yet to open though not sure if they will now. Cutting them to bring inside is a lovely idea. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love sunflowers, such a happy flower :)
    Caroline xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Gillian,Aren't they are just a armful of cheeriness!!!!Spreading their light a happy color to every corner!!!Beautiful!!!Have a fun and crafty weekend!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  22. those sunflowers are gorgeous, especially as the weather starts to turn... it's like summer was turned off like a light switch! x

    ReplyDelete
  23. They really are sunshine flowers aren't they!

    Another vote for blackberries growing on brambles from me :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just catching up on some posts and your sunflowers look lovely and bright.
    I'll be a bit behind in the next few weeks with our imminent move coming up. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those sunflowers are wonderful, they make you smile!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. The sunflowers look gorgeous and just the thing for cheering things up at the moment. The weather certainly seems to have turned now doesn't it? Also I didn't actually know there was a difference between Blackberries and Brambles... shows what I know!

    S x

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.