Thursday 26 September 2013

A Crochet Scarf For A Girl Who Is Six


This whole thing started on holiday in France when my niece, Alicia, was watching me crochet squares for my blanket. She started playing around with them, arranging them into patterns and rows, and then said "Auntie Gilly, could you make me a scarf like this for my birthday?" I couldn't really say no, nor did I want to. Alicia wanted pink, purple and yellow one day, pink and purple the next, purple and red the day after that. 

I made eleven squares and crocheted them together adding a border of treble stitch clusters, then a row of double crochet in pink. It's the same pattern I'm using for my blanket, a circle within a square motif*, and I just used what I had left in my stash of cashmerino yarn. You may notice that the cream border is a paler colour than the cream in the squares, despite being made from exactly the same brand and colour of yarn. There's a lesson in batch numbers there! But it doesn't really matter and I like the resulting colour combination very much. I think it's girly enough to make a six year old happy but the bold floral shape and splashes of red stop it becoming too sickly sweet. I'd love to make one with yellow and green centres, like a daisy chain. Wouldn't that be pretty? 

Happy birthday Alicia. 




*It's the Double Bed or Sofa Blanket pattern from Susan Pinner's Granny Sqaures.

34 comments:

  1. It's a beauty, Gillian! You are a clever auntie! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty! She already has great fashion sense!

    Jenn @ JennsCraftyWorld

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is super Lovely,
    and Yay! from me for the Daisy one next!!!
    bestest
    Daisy j x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful, and perfect for a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The scarf looks really good, and I like your photograph of your work,going to get some wool at Yardale this weekend to make a new scarf for winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely auntie you are, I am sure she will cherish this for many years to come...who grows out of granny squares? :o) x Penny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely aunt, I have been making the same granny square as you , but I 'm not as kind as you it's a wrap all for me. It is very pretty,

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is beautiful and what a lovely gift, but more than that what a lovely neice to want something you had made

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely ... I am sure she is very happy ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's perfect for A Girl Who Is Six, such pretty colours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's very pretty and I am sure she will be very happy with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great crochet pattern! Very pretty! Absolutely love the addition of red and purple - it gives it just the right amount of interest. :)

    Always,
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the look of it when it is hanging up and you can see the light through those little holes. I love the phrase weekending, your weekends are very much mirroring mine at the moment. Only 2 more buckets - yes I said buckets - of apples to go! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's adorable, she's going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lucky girl - a bespoke scarf from her clever Auntie! Love her colour choices - your idea of the green and yellow sounds lovely too. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. How lovely that your niece wanted you to make her a scarf and how lovely that you did.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lucky girl, it's lovely, clever you. It's a shame boys don't like such things. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gillian, it's so lovely! I love the color combination. Your niece is going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh you are the bestest auntie! and yes, the daisy chain idea sounds beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lucky girl to have a clever aunty like you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. My 5 year old Grand just came by the laptop screen, saw the scarf and said, "Oh! It is beautiful!"
    My thought, exactly, Gillian :) I love your color combination.
    Gracie xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I absolutely adore that scarf!! When I first read that it was for a little girl, I thought to myself "That's perfect for any woman too!!" It's lovely!
    Have a great weekend,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful!! What a lucky little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Clever you! This is a super scarf, does that make you a designer! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's so gorgeous I want one for myself! I'll be keeping a closer eye on those batch numbers in future - I never realised there could be so much difference. x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just lovely ... it will be cherished I think ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. it's very sweet, love the raspberries and cream colour, it would make a nice cushion too! Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  28. that's lovely. You will have to post what she says when she gets it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You are a lovely aunty. The different colours are because it is a border - surely!! I am sure that your gift will be much loved and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.