Saturday 1 September 2012

A Few Postcards and A Catch Up


Well hello there!

I feel as if I have been gone for the longest time, but it was only a week, and what a glorious week it was. We've just returned from a break staying with my parents, a very relaxing and surprisingly sunny end to the school holidays. Indulge me while I share some photos of happy times and places that I love... (Warning - photo overload ahead...but there are good things if you can make it to the end.)

On Monday we spent a leisurely afternoon at a farm tea shop with my parents and my Grandma. 


My grandparents used to live nearby and knew the farm owners and my sisters and I would often visit as children and feed the horses and look at the animals. I remember seeing a cow give birth there once.


It is still a dairy farm but has now branched out into ice creams and cream teas.
We took the train to Chichester on Tuesday. I still underestimate how much little people like train journeys!


We met my very dear friend Abigail and her daughter for lunch. Chichester is the nicest town, full of lovely shops, gardens, parks and cafes. 
We (well, just me really) are always plotting ways to move to West Sussex, but it is SO expensive!

It rained on Wednesday but I didn't really notice because my Mum, my sisters and I went shopping while the children were in Daddy Daycare. And we had Moules frites for tea.


On Thursday we had fantastic day out at Beaulieu, where we rode the monorail before my camera battery died. Not captured on film is the car museum, open top bus tours, parks, playgrounds and the beautiful abbey.
On Friday it was really cold first thing, and felt like Autumn was in the air. We decided to feed the ducks and have a pub lunch. Then the sun came out and by lunchtime it was glorious.


This place is precious to me. I could look at the view every day. I don't know why I love it so much. It just feels peaceful. Even when we went last February, in the freezing cold, it was beautiful. I guess some places are just like that. Do you have a place or a view you love that much?


We paddled. The sea was warm and shallow and clear. Perfect for big and little people.
Looking for crabs...


...and a lunchtime tipple.


My trusty Saltwater sandals did me proud this week, on sand and pebbles, for paddling and walking.

Well done if you made it to the end of that photograph marathon!

***********************************

I'm sorry I have not visited many blogs this week. It's been busy, what with one thing and another, but I will catch up over the weekend to see what you've all been doing.

Also, something rather lovely happened this week - I reached 100 followers! I'm still slightly baffled that you visit and read and comment, but I do love that you do! So thank you very much. To celebrate this happy occasion, and to share the blogging love which I have recently received, I am plotting a little giveaway. Details and photos to follow when I get round to finishing the bits and pieces I am making *stitches furiously*.....

38 comments:

  1. lovely photos Gillian. I too have returned from a lovely summer break, and have lots of posts lined up. Looks like you had a fab time on holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It so much fun going through the holiday photos again for blogging - it makes the holiday feel that bit longer! x

      Delete
  2. It was a lovely week, wasn't it?! So good to see you all and have a good catch up. You've taken some beautiful photos. I didn't realise your camera battery died at Beaulieu, how annoying. I bet it still took you ages though to choose which ones to put up here after taking so many during the week! We are sad you have gone home but already looking forward to our next get together. Love you lots xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks my love. It was great to see you all too. Yes, I did have to do some serious editing, I take far too many photos! xx

      Delete
  3. Yay to 100! You should have a million, in my opinion! ;) Lovely pics, and it looks like a lovely holiday x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, *blushing*, you are too kind Greer! It was a fab holiday, but back to normal routine now. Which is kind of nice. x

      Delete
  4. Looks like a brilliant week away Gillian, and what a terrific way to finish the school holidays. Love seeing all your photos. Fun sandled feet in water photos!! Congrats on reaching 100 followers : -)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paddling while wearing a jumper because the sea is warmer than the air - only in England! x

      Delete
  5. looks like a wonderful time! i'd like a bite of those scones with jam and cream...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had many bites and now I have the tummy to show for it. I am growing a food baby. Time for a return to routine and healthier eating. x

      Delete
  6. Yes, what a glorious week indeed! Seeing a cow born--what a fabulous memory. I loved all the photos, it really wasn't too many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind - I did edit lots. I took 300 on one day - is that weird?

      Delete
  7. Oh, what a lovely week! Love all the photos...just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia, it was lovely. Very relaxing, and we all slept so well. Must be the sea air! x

      Delete
  8. Hello!

    I do love Chichester and your pictures are great. Love the saltwaters too - I've been hankering after a white pair, but with the weather turning chilly....I'm not too sure if I will get a pair now.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts are turning to boots and woolens now, but I am glad I bought the Saltwaters. They weren't cheap but oh so comfortable and I've worn them loads, rain or shine. x

      Delete
  9. I've been here so long that Yorkshire really feels like home but a little piece of my heart pined for the the Sussex coast looking at these pic. My family have moved on so we never go back to the place that was my home for 18 years - perhaps I need to put that right

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if it's because I like the place or if it really is pretty, but yes, the Sussex coast is lovely.

      Delete
  10. Glad you all had a lovely holiday ... looks like it was a lot of fun ... love your cute sandals ... congrats on your 100 followers .. not surprised your blog is lovely ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks Bee! Those sandals are so comfy, really glad I bought them x

      Delete
  11. Lovely pictures and what a fab holiday! Congratulations on reaching your centenary, I'm also planning a giveaway to celebrate mine. Have a lovely Sunday xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it was a fab holiday, very laid back. x

      Delete
  12. Thanks for sharing your lovely little break with us, fab sandals! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, any chance to spend a little longer looking through holiday photos... x

      Delete
  13. Beautiful pictures - it looks like a wonderful holiday. I totally get your favourite view - I find being by the sea very therapeutic - I would love to live by the coast :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is just something about being by the sea. I don't know why but it makes me feel like I am home. x

      Delete
  14. Well done on 100 followers! Your blog is fab and you totally deserve it! Lovely pics too. Looks like a lovely week away! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Col. :-) I do appreciate you always stopping by. x

      Delete
  15. I love all the photos, you can tell you have a nice relaxing sort of holiday. I have to say the 'looking for crabs'photo is my favourite though.
    Well done for reaching 100 followers too!
    I am not surprised!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I like that photo too. It was a happy day. When the weather is nice I'm always amazed how much you can entertain the kids with the simplest things. x

      Delete
  16. It looks like a fabulous week away. I think it's always special when you share holidays with family. Well done on reaching 100 followers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that we can go and stay with family, for free, and still come back feeling that we've had a holiday! x

      Delete
  17. Lovely holiday pics Gillian! What a happy time away it looks! A great end to the summer holidays! E x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I feel like we ended the holidays on a high, which is a nice feeling. x

      Delete
  18. It all looks so idyllic, happy you all had a good time. I must say that pub looks a bit special, over looking the water! Much deserved '100' hope you get many more, great photos as always, we feel we are standing there too!
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a perfect little spot, that pub, I do like it there. They also do a very nice scampi and chips!

      Delete
  19. Your pictures are marvelous Gillian. And it looks like a wonderful vacation. So nice you guys could get away before the beginning of school and the onset of Autumn. As always I am longing to hop across the pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I am always longing to go back to America, but with four plane tickets it will take a few years of saving! There is so much I still haven't seen in your beautiful country - like Montana! x

      Delete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.