Friday 20 January 2012

Busy Friday

We have friends coming over for dinner tonight and today is a busy day. There will be cooking, shopping, tidying, cleaning and hiding the evidence of small people. It's been a full week, lots of errands, appointments and mopping up sick. The kind of week that puts me in awe of my friends who work...where do they find the time? But there has also been shopping (new fabric purchased in John Lewis - woo hoo!) time with the kids (we've done a lot of jigsaws) and catching up with friends.

I've nearly finished a little craft project  - I will show you the finished result as soon as it is complete.



I'm half way through making a lemon tart for dessert tonight. You need four eggs for the pastry and ten (TEN!) for the filling. That's a lot of eggs. Why does mine look so burnt? The nicest thing I can say about it is that it looks rustic. It certainly does not look like Heston Blumenthal's version.


A trip to Waitrose was made for expensive linguini and cheap flowers.



John has made a rich and meaty ragu sauce. We are basically serving a deluxe spaghetti bolognese.



Later I will hunt out the silver cutlery, lay the table, light the candles and wait for that magic few minutes of calm...the best bit about having people over for dinner. Those peaceful moments when the kids are in bed, the house looks pretty, the food is under control and I have a large glass of wine in my hand. I wait for my friends to arrive and think about the evening ahead.

I will tell you all about it. Thank you for reading and I hope you have a lovely weekend whatever you may be doing.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I was grown up enough to have ever had a dinner party. Yours sounds lovely, wish I could come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm I can almost smell that ragu from here. Looks delicious. We're having friends over tonight but I don't think it will be quite as posh.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.