Tuesday 31 January 2012

Making Winter - Rhubarb and Ginger Crumble


Crumble is my perfect winter pudding. At first I thought it was a bit obvious, but then it is obvious because it is so perfect. 

It's quick to make, economical, versatile. You need the minimum of kitchen kit to make it, and you can change the fruit and spices depending on the time of year. Apple and pear with cinnamon and brown sugar in the autumn. Mincemeat with orange zest for a Christmas crumble. Peach and strawberry for a summery crumble to eat with vanilla ice cream. 

Today I have chosen rhubarb crumble because rhubarb is in season at the moment, and also because it is John's favourite.This recipe is my contribution to the excellent Making Winter Project on the lovely silverpebble blog.

The crumble topping recipe is my Mum's. It was given to me in imperial but I've included metric weights too. 

You need:

rhubarb (I used three large sticks but the amount depends on the size and shape of the dish you use)
1 tsp ground ginger (or you could grate some fresh ginger if you have some)
5 ox/150g sugar (plus some extra to sprinkle on top of the fruit)
4 oz/110g plain flour
4 oz/110g oats
4 oz/110g butter

The recipe is very approximate. You could use more flour and less oats if you don't like oats in your crumble topping. I mix this with my fingers and add ingredients depending on how wet or dry the mixture feels.

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.

Wash the rhubarb and chop into 1 inch or 3 cm chunks. 


Sprinkle with sugar (I used two generous tablespoons as rhubarb is very tart, but I would use less, or none, for other fruits). 


Cook the rhubarb for a few minutes to soften in the microwave or on the hob. Make the crumble mixture by combining the flour, oats, sugar and butter in a bowl by hand, or in a food mixer if you prefer, until it looks like breadcrumbs.

Put the fruit into the oven dish. Sprinkle over half the ground ginger, and put the rest in the crumble mixture. Cover the fruit with the crumble and bake for 35 to 45 minutes.

Serve with custard, cream or vanilla ice cream.



We ate ours with custard. I had intended to make my own custard but life and an ill two year old got in the way.


8 comments:

  1. I totally agree about crumble and it's in my top three most comforting foods. Rhubarb is a classic - I use ginger with it too - and I love the image of your Cornishware jug. Thanks so much for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for opening Making Winter up to everyone. It's full of some fantastic, inspiring ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love adding cinnamon to my crumble toppings, which make it really tasty especially if the filling contains apples. I haven't made a rhubarb crumble for ages so I'll probably try this one soon. It's so easy and quick it can be a mid-week pudding and not just a weekend treat. Does anyone else have puddings midweek or is it just me?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may just be you ;-) It's true it takes no time to make - no peeling involved with rhubarb, just chopping! It was a very nice Monday night treat. xxx

      Delete
  4. this looks wonderful! i just may have to figure out the US conversions for this and make it myself. i made a handful of small rhubarb crisps for the freezer last spring, but i have finally eaten them all. must make more this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhubarb crisps? They sound intriguing! Please show us the recipe. Sorry, I can't get my head around US conversions for cups/sticks etc...it's bad enough living in a country where people use metric and imperial interchangeably all the time. Crazy Brits! ;-) Gillian x

      Delete
  5. Is it the rhubarb season? i think that's why I'm seeing some rhubarbs bakes recently over the blogs. I'm curious about their taste. The next time if i see rhubarbs again here, i will get them and try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, I enjoy reading through your post. I wanted to write a little comment to support you.



    Here is my weblog tips to win back an ex

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.