Monday 2 September 2019

My Holiday Embroidery Diary So Far


Hello there! I teased you a few posts ago with a glimpse of the first motif I sewed for my embroidery holiday diary and thought you might like to see a little more of the progress I've made over the last few weeks.

For those who might be new here, I should explain: five years ago, in Cornwall, I decided to sew a little embroidered holiday diary, one image a day, as a memento of our holiday, and because I love to sew - that bit probably goes without saying. Two years ago, in France, I did another, again with an image or motif for each day we were there, and was able to sew most of it on holiday. I knew that I would definitely - definitely! - want to create something similar for our recent holiday to New York but that A. one motif a day would be impossible, and B. sewing anything on holiday was out of the question. So what I have a list of memories that I want to include, and a very rough plan sketched onto a piece of paper, 

Once I'd done the central flag and the writing at the top and bottom, I began filling up the space with some images. I am trying to balance out shapes and colour where I can, but also choosing the position of the images as I go, so it's not that planned really.

Next I sewed the "red white and blue waffles" I ate at the Comfort Diner for no other reason than I just really wanted to embroider waffles.


Followed by one of my favourite motifs on this embroidery, the Statue of Liberty. Now, I am aware that we didn't actually make it to the statue this holiday, but I have been a couple of times before and it's so iconic and associated with the city of New York that I just couldn't leave her out. 


I was really nervous about this one so I looked at lots of different images online and then sketched the design onto paper first, then traced it onto the white fabric using a fading pen.


Next I chose a few embroidery silks in what I hoped would be the right colours, then I started stitching using mainly satin stitch but letting the different colours overlap each other.


The impressionistic style is maybe best viewed from further away rather than close up, but I'm happy with the overall shape and colour.

I needed to balance the Statue of Liberty out with another tall, thin shape on the other side of my embroidery, so chose the Empire State Building, again sketching, tracing and then choosing colours. 


I chose chain stitch here to try and give an impression of all those windows.


A bowl of ramen next, something we ate a lot there because it was cheap, easy and delicious. I drew this one free hand and so enjoyed filling in the top with noodles and vegetables and sewing that tiny egg.


The next two are places that required quite a lot of careful looking and drawing as they were full of tricky angles. First, The Guggenheim Museum, famously designed by the architect Frank Lloyd Wright, with it's contrasting geometric shapes, straight lines and organic curves.


It was really hard to draw. I'll just say that and leave it there. The Brooklyn Bridge wasn't much easier, but I so wanted to include these places so persevered.


I have been deliberately sewing the harder pictures first, partly to get them over and done with (that sounds like I'm not enjoying this - of course I am!), but mainly because I know that once I'm back at work all free time for embroidery will vanish and I really don't want to be sewing this in the Christmas holidays. I've been trying really hard to sew a motif a day, but it's proven tricky.

After all that architecture, a little vignette of Central Park was relaxing to sew.


It was the first time in this piece that a French knot had been called for, and I forgot how much I love to sew these and got a little carried away, building up lots of depth in the trees.


 I've just finished sewing a brownstone townhouse too, so that's nine images done so far and another eight to sew, although they are all much smaller so hopefully shouldn't take too long. I can't leave out the yellow taxi and slice of pizza now, can I?


28 comments:

  1. That is amazing Gillian - especially the way you consider the right kind of stitches to suit and portray the image. Like our red post boxes the yellow taxis are iconic. I especially like the Central Park vignette probably because I love french knots too. Can't wait to see the finished piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful piece of embroidery. I've followed your blog for a while, since I started my own blog a couple of years ago. I loved reading about your trip to New York. What a fantastic holiday! Best wishes, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! Amazing - can't wait to see it all finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such a talent for this, the images are amazing. And such a wonderful momento of your holiday. I shall look forward to seeing the finished piece. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is awesome - not in a Bart Simpson way but in a way that I'm completely in awe of it. I love Liberty - the mix of colours is beautiful. I can't wait to see the finished piece! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMAZING! The statute looks rigid yet flowing (just like a real statute) and the colors were glorious. A master at this would select the stitching pattern to give the impression of the image so congrats to you - a real master. The little egg is a delight and the trees are gorgeous - so inviting and textural. You will certainly enjoy and treasure this for many years to come. I commend every superlative I can think of on your artwork/play.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really fabulous! You are so talented! What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. a wonderful way to remember your amazing adventure! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My oh my! I love this! Your statue of Liberty is amazing. For a novice needle-worker (myself) I am super impressed. What a fun idea. I could never get one done a day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing! What a fitting tribute to your holidays. I'm struggling with Heavy Chain Stitch on my project and don't even mention the cat I have to embroider.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is amazing. Your embroidery work is stunning, so beautiful and perfect. You've captured each bit of the city so exactly, I can't get over it. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like your previous embroidered holiday diaries, this one is just as beautiful and just goes to show what a wonderfully talented and creative woman you are, Gillian! If I had to decide on a favourite here, I'd be hard pressed; the food looks great, Lady Liberty is fantastic, but maybe Central Park is the one I like most.
    Looking forward to the other pictures, such as the brownstone - and maybe something from the beautiful train station?

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so talented, Gillian. If I had to choose one, the Statue of Liberty is my favourite. The colour mix is fab and her robe really looks as if it is draping. Really looking forward to seeing some more images :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful way to remember your holiday. Your other stitchings were great but this one looks wonderful. The Statue of Liberty is perfect and the perspective on Brooklyn Bridge,Wow! Can't wait to see it finished and framed. Thank you for sharing. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is obviously going to be another stunning piece! Do you frame your embroidery yourself? I've just taken cross stitch to be framed because I've never dared to try myself. Nervous about the stretching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Yes I think i will have a go at doing this myself only because it costs so much to have it done professionally. I will try but if it looks awful I might end up taking it to the framers anyway ...

      Delete
  16. Love this! All of your holiday embroideries are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So beautiful! I love that you are creating an heirloom!

    ReplyDelete
  18. lLooking really great so far. Can't wait to see it finished .

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are so clever and so inspiring I can't wait to see the finished framed article. Such a great keepsake of your holidays as I have always admired your earlier pieces. Regards Kathy, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  20. I adore this! this is so creative. It is going to be a real treasure. You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looking good so far. Can't wait to see them altogether.Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so good. I went to see the French one too. Congrats! AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely work. What a fabulous reminder of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your holiday keepsake embroideries. You have such a knack of pinpointing perfect images and choosing the most effective colours and stitches. Liberty is gorgeous and Central Park is wonderful. I am in awe of your eye and skill! Looking forward to the finished work.

    ReplyDelete
  25. that's such a clever idea, your work is very good and it's such a lovely momento.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Absolutely stunning embroidery, with the perfect combination of depth and a casual, abstract quality. The Statue of Liberty just blew me away! Thanks so much for sharing with your readers.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.